ModCloth

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.6

Eric Koger

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great and the health care benefits are fabulous (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule (Open PTO, Work from home possibilities) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • seemingly high turnover in high-profile positions, both terminations and voluntary exits (in 7 reviews)

• I have seen quality employees with minimal errors let go before someone who was faster (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture, but too much of 'management slalom'.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ModCloth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company got great people and great culture (surely 'no as-----les allowed' hiring policy helps), plenty of opportunities to find work that is a good fit for you, fair compensation/benefits, combined with great work/life balance. A lot of creative people in the office. Diverse environment.

Cons

Management is known for periodic drastic changes of course, which surely are signs of 'young' uncalcified-yet company, but some of this slaloming is a tad too much. Legacy software system is getting long in the tooth, without much hope of revamping it. What started as a really promising beginning fizzled out over time quite a bit. But there is some (dim) hope yet.

Warehouse ("FC") blues

I worked at ModCloth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my coworkers were considerate, friendly, smart, and hardworking. I appreciated the benefits (I'll get to that later) and the generous paid time off. I truly miss this place at times -- just goofing off during 15-minute breaks, talking about music, helping each other, etc. The operations manager was friendly and knew his stuff. Some of my bosses were amazing people.

Cons

ModCloth has its problems. They were bringing in warehouse ("FC") workers from Kelly and keeping them on as permanent temps. It's just not right to keep people working for you for six months or more with no definite plan and keeping their future uncertain. I was kept on as a temp even though I never came through an agency; it was a typical political play by my bosses, something that I saw more at ModCloth than in any other job. The politics will drive you crazy here, and I don't say that lightly. A good worker rightly feels entitled to a spot in the company with benefits after half a year. This isn't Honduras or Bangladesh. Aim higher.

The pay for warehouse jobs is the same as it was five years ago. I saw at least one person come back to the company and make less than he did before. He came through the company, too -- so in some ways it's better to work through Kelly since the person gets a quick reassignment if things don't work out here. Ask yourself if you want to work somewhere where it's worse to be an in-house hire.

One of the good things about the recession is that employers were able to get highly skilled, smart workers for peanuts. There were more master's degrees under our roof than in many white collar offices. So it's not right to have a smirky, dismissive attitude to the blue-collar proletariat when they're literally sweating to make you money. Employees know quite well that they'll never get an advancement. Ever. Outside hires occupy at least three-quarters of important positions.

Sometimes it felt like a warzone here. Hearing the alarm in the morning made my stomach churn. It was going to be another day of politics, drama and embarrassing condescension. But it beats working at Subway, and that's their ace in the hole -- people don't want to go back to Dollar Tree, so they deal with the unnecessary Melrose Place drama.

I won't discuss the layoffs. They were likely necessary and happen sometimes at companies with hundreds of employees. It's not an indication of a toxic culture, just a forecast of future revenue that didn't happen.

Give people a one-year plan of growth after their six months is over. Tell them that advancement is an actual possibility if they are willing to grow and learn new skills. Stop the goofy backstabbing and develop an aspirational culture, one where territorial power plays are looked down upon, etc. Pay the lowly warehouse workers somewhere north of $11 an hour. This is 2014.

A dysfunctional mess.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ModCloth

Pros

-mostly amazing, innovative colleagues in every department
    -very professional and personable EAs and receptionist
    -flexible PTO

Cons

-inexperienced executives
    -thoughtless CEO
    -huge disconnects between all departments and office locations
    -unprofessionalism at all levels
    -disrespect for contractors
    -lack of knowledge at exec level about actual job functions of anyone who doesn’t report directly to them
    -changing priorities, team structures, processes, and reporting on what seems to be a monthly basis
    -rampant favoritism by managers at all levels
    -lack of communication from the exec level

When I first started at ModCloth there was a clique of Pittsburgh folks who weren’t very open to feedback or making business savvy decisions suggested by newer employees. There was rampant favoritism and it seemed that just because someone wore quirky prints and was nice meant he/she was a great asset to the company. Many got promoted because of tenure, not any business skills.

Since my early days, many of those veterans have left, making way for new ideas. However, being much too little too late, and with executives unwilling to update their thinking quickly, ModCloth has been stuck in a rut and things have really gone from bad to worse. The company is literally imploding.

There’s been a big elephant in the room for the past few months- many people have been laid off! However, the execs keep pushing for fake cheerfulness and even ask for favors when everyone is pretty checked out at this point (help in the shipping department from all Pittsburgh employees, help planning a ridiculous number of holiday events in San Francisco, help writing more product reviews, help cleaning the office to move, etc.).

ModCloth in general lacks professionalism, organization and business sense. Our CEO should not literally avoid us in the hallway and hide in his office when in San Francisco. Our CMO should focus on improving the team’s work, not being everyone’s friend and planning a ridiculous number of holiday events. And our past Creative Director, though he had plenty of faults, should have been laid off in a professional manner. Our production team should be listened to when they suggest and try to implement thoughtful timelines. Our social media team should be respected when they ask for decent photography. Our design team should be given time built into the schedule for more creative freedom and testing new ideas. Our engineering team shouldn’t all be fired when we’re an online based site and they keep us live!

It’s cute you say you’re a startup, ModCloth, but that doesn’t make you cool. You’re really just a small, failing company at this point.

#fashiontruth

Be humble and just step down, go learn how to actually run a business at a stronger company and take some leadership classes.

A lot of talk, not a lot of smart actions

Former Employee - Shipping Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Shipping Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their health/dental/vision coverage is amazing. You get some PTO with every paycheck, so you have options as it accumulates every two weeks. If you keep a good attitude and can meet metrics when you first get there, you should be able to keep your job. You can also wear pretty much whatever you want, and they do seem to treat everyone equally at the beginning.

Cons

Whenever you wanted to discuss the noncompetitive compensation, the response you received was "but the healthcare makes up for it." I don't totally disagree, but after out-performing many members on your team, and being one of a few that have been there for years, you wonder if they even want anyone to stay for more than a few months. It is a very difficult environment to be productive in, unless you can only focus on doing the same mundane task for 10 hours a day.

It's easy to assume that you'll be rewarded for exceeding metrics and being an exceptional employee. But, we received about a third of the percentage from last year. They also gave them out without any basis for who you were and how you performed. So I guess that's really good if you're someone who's always late, calls off, and never hits metric standards.

I found out about Glassdoor because the CEO asked us to come on to Glassdoor and do positive reviews to help make the company look better. That's the gist of it--change the perception and disguise what's actually happening behind the scenes. They need to read these reviews and find the root of the problems, not hide the bad ones with some pathetic, requested good ones.

Come back to Pittsburgh and try to experience the jobs you're paying others do. Go back to when the company was smaller and refocus on each task you are paying someone to do for you. You'll probably find that no one cares because we think you don't anymore either. Stop looking at charts and predictions for profits and think about how you want your product handled and shipped. We may not need such an awesome Customer Care department if we could provide a better experience before it comes to that.

All about image, no substance

Former Employee - Purchasing in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No dress code, fun concept, locally-based. Cute items, some cool people to work with. Great, in theory.

Cons

Inexperienced staff, revolving door management, little structure, no long term plan. Pay is not very good. Owners looking out for themselves rather than the company, leaving staff to pick up responsibilities. They were more concerned with wooing investors, spending money, upgrading and presenting a facade than taking care of the company. Nobody there to tell them "no".
    When I was first hired, I was the first person to negotiate with vendors for a lower price on product. Nobody had even thought of this, which was mind blowing to me, as I had previous purchasing experience and this is just standard protocol. Items were purchased in tiny quantities, like 12, 24, 36 - way too low to go online, and we were losing money just processing them. At one point it took over 3 months to process the inventory, by the time it was online it would be out of season and couldn't be reordered, and if it was damaged it couldn't be returned. Money was wasted left and right. I tried to fix this, tried to implement a purchasing system, tried to develop transparency, and wound up getting laid off for it. All for the best, as it is exhausting to care about a company when the founders couldn't care less.

Devise a management structure. Have permanent employees. Focus on the long term.

Creative and fun

I have been working at ModCloth as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Creative fun people to work with. Always inspired every day. Constant creative innovation and encouragement from co-workers. Everyone is very nice and friendly. I always felt very respected by my supervisor and team, and I always felt they wanted to listen to the ideas I had. They took me seriously and I always felt appreciated.

Cons

Location in SOMA is less than ideal as it's often over crowded with events from ball park or just the general uncleanliness of SOMA. Since it's a start up there is something do-or-die mentality.

same as it ever was......

Former Employee - FC Warehouse in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - FC Warehouse in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People who truly cared that I worked with, the benefits back then were great, very optimistic when first hired (unfortunately it seems that is the "energy" they use to float on). So glad for the education, so sad for the way it played out.

Cons

Lack of experienced management from low level to the top of the chain. Favoritism existed over 3 years ago and seems to have gotten worse, there were many chiefs and they were all scared to share info with each other due to job security, or what was thought to be secure. To many immature and inexperienced management personnel with no reasonable experience, at all levels. You are either in or out by word of favoritism. Putting your heart and beliefs in a company that will suck you dry. Perks that were afforded to those in the offices were not given to the warehouse workers, as if it was another company we worked for, resentment was very high in the FC. Back stabbing and hands being slapped for going to HR with issues needing to be addressed. If you did not conform to the ModCloth culture, you were let go. There was no real team working together, it was the boss team telling the worker team to keep working harder and longer while we go in the relaxation room and lounge on the couch for a power nap, or.....work harder so we can keep getting these perks and we look good because of your hard work, work harder so we can put the blame for all things not functioning well on your backs........immature, pathetic and I am not surprised where this company is going.

Eric, 3 -4 years ago you also had massive layoffs in two rounds. Sounds like you took the chicken way out again using the video escape route a second time years later. Worked that good for you the first time huh? I think this whole company needs to grow up, and that will never happen with those who are in charge not knowing what the heck they are doing......still up to 4 years later and these current problems are manifestations from back then. Sell this company to save it, and let an experienced crew come in and clean it up, even after these 6 or 7 years, quit giving lip service as your employees are not fools. Sinking ship indeed.

Needs immediate changes to survive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    PTO adds up quickly
    Great coworkers

Cons

Unprofessional management
    Low pay
    Constant forced OT
    Focus on stupid parties instead of the daily problems

After working for ModCloth for a few years, I was recently part of one of the large layoffs. It was about 150 people total in just a few months. At first I was pretty upset that the company thought so little of me after all the work that I did but when I thought about it, I was just relieved. It’s been nothing but stress to the point where I never know what to expect next.

The company is so inexperienced it’s painful. The two managers who’ve been there the longest are awful. They’re never around and even when they are, they can’t even look at the other employees. It’s like we’re all beneath them. This is really odd considering they supposedly “worked” their way up. I’ve never seen either of them do any work at all though so I have no idea what really happened. The fact that they’re married is also an issue. They behave exactly the same and want nothing to do with their departments. Having two managers always agree looks like it’s been a problem since none of the issues are ever fixed.

They’re also super unprofessional. I have no idea what they do all day since I never saw them in the warehouse. They spend their days in meetings but there’s no way a manager should be away from the team so long. They invite workers to their house and from what I heard it’s just nothing but them talking badly about other employees. This also seems to be a method for getting on their good side and maybe promoted. The only reviews all talked about favoritism so you should open your eyes to it. The only thing they do there is get information and gossip about people who work there. This behavior is completely unacceptable. I don’t know how they both got through the layoffs either. They seem to know how to survive by pushing work and blame to everyone else and then skating through.

The company tried to bring outside people in but I think they’re all gone now so it’s like it was when we were a small company again. The other managers seem good and are always on the floor with their people. I also felt like I could ask them questions and they actually cared about whatever problem I had. We needed more of that. The other two made me feel like I was bothering them.

All of this behavior has been accepted because their boss has never done anything to change it. He ran around the floor sometimes but always seemed like a robot. None of the big decisions seem to work and I would guess that’s him. The big computer change we made didn’t work, it’s just caused more problems. We heard about this thing for months and they said it would make everything better but it’s been terrible. We also had a big computer change a year ago but all I heard was complaints. I never really had to use it much so I don’t know.

After all that, I’m glad to be gone. Years ago I thought I had a future there but now I don’t even know if the company has a future. They keep telling us sales are too low and we keep making cuts so that’s not a good sign. They also don’t pay very much. The benefits are good but seems like there might be a better medium where we could get paid more.

It's time to listen to the comments on there since they're all the same. Upgrade the managers who don't want to work with their people. I don't think Eric or Susan have any idea what's going on so they should get more involved on the ground level instead of letting the people who cause the problems tell them what's going on. Stop tolerating the unprofessional behavior of your long-time managers and hold them accountable, not just their people.

Titanic and Lusitania synergy

I have been working at ModCloth

Pros

None, staff should run for solid ground. like Amazon

Cons

Management, its like a poorly run daycare

Good luck, grab a life vest

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ModCloth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In many ways, as relaxed an atmosphere as any millennial could ask for. There is no dress code or restrictions on things like tattoos and hair, there are dogs, there is abundant food and drink, including beer, and people to share it with. Most employees are in their 20s or early 30s and tend to be friendly artsy hipster types with progressive politics and nerdy interests. Most employees are women, and there is acceptance and protection for sexual and gender diversity. Benefits are good. Party-ish events are common. Adequate job training is mostly given, the environment is nearly paperless and fairly green, and management is usually willing to work with you if you have a concern or aren't doing well.

Cons

This company is a sinking ship and we all know it. Upper management's attempts at course correction have so far included a six month hiring freeze (during which many veterans left and were not replaced) and two rounds of layoffs totaling over 150 people. All remaining employees over a year are looking for their exits now. Actual changes to the business model have been few and far between, although one might wonder why instead of concentrating on core successes we continue to launch dozens of new products every day, most of which end up on clearance or sold for $10 in Stylish Surprise to customers who hate them even then. Feedback from customers and employees alike is routinely ignored, and the right hand (upper management and marketing) generally has nothing but disdain for the left (people on the ground actually dealing with the consequences of their poor planning and ignorance of how things actually work). This leads to one disaster after another as huge changes are constantly being sprung on people and systems unprepared for them, without backup plans, and without any accountability as to who made those decisions and how next time can be better. "Wins" are celebrated to the point that critical thinking (let alone speaking) is seen as negativity. Meanwhile, systemic issues and "low hanging fruit" are left unresolved for months or years while the higher ups are cooking up their next inane plot to drum up a business that already can't handle the volume of demand it has. The customers are not the problem. The stubborn management and their farfetched priorities, the unwritten rule of niceness over honesty, the frustration of veteran employees who haven't been listened to or promoted and eventually quit, the double standards for those not favored by the bigwigs, the unsubtle class/race divide of the office vs. the fulfillment center -- those are the problems. Big ones, too.

There's no shortage of good advice here. Consider taking any of it.

ModCloth Photos