Moda Operandi

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
1.0

CEO

Good name, bad atmosphere.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Moda Operandi

Pros

Exciting, innovative fashion company. Nice office.

Cons

Less than ideal work environment. No friendly chatter going on, even though everyone sits together. Consider giving interns actual responsibility. Unclear who you should report to/organization structure is unclear. Noticed a lot of employee turnover during my short time there.

Intern program needs a revamp. Consider hiring people other than unqualified "fashion gals".

Bad Working Culture. Toxic atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Moda Operandi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people, great access to luxury brand fashion, free drinks sometimes

Cons

Terrible communication. Culture of blame and paranoia. Awful work-life balance. People in senior positions don't have each other's backs and gossip about each other.

Office culture is nasty. Unhappy senior management talk to subordinates about how much they hate people who are senior to them. Very uncomfortable atmosphere. People work ridiculous hours and moan all the time. It used to be a fun place to work and we always worked crazy hours as is usual in the fashion world but you were appreciated and felt like part of a team now it's just descended into gossip and back-biting with no sense of team-work. Bonuses were promised and not paid out. Promotions hinted at that don't come. Teams were promised help but in reality are just offered interns who have no experience and know no better. This place thinks that it's on par with Vogue but it's just an e-tailer who sells clothes and a vanity project for the founder. Just got a huge amount of money but it will disappear just as quickly as the 40Million we had a few years ago and the little people won't see the benefits. My advice to management is to do something about the toxic atmosphere by starting with yourselves and stop the back-biting or the high turnover will continue.

This place used to be bad - now it's really bad. 'Mean Girls' environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Moda Operandi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free drinks sometimes, some nice people among the wolves. Good networking for those interested in fashion.

Cons

People are seriously over-worked. A lot of gossip. Very mean environment. No work-life balance.

There are people in top positions who have a serious gossip problem. Get rid of them. The work-life balance is appalling. People are expected to work all through the night with no help and a 'hiring freeze' yet we see HR expand to 5 people when it used to just be one person and a temporary recruiter a year ago. It's insulting. There's a huge blame culture here with everyone paranoid and scared for their jobs. I am only still here because I'm too exhausted to look anywhere else. It is quite simply the most disorganized, meanest place I have ever worked and if you can't kiss society girls' backsides there's no role for you here. We just got 60 million in investments but the little people won't see the benefits of this. This place is a joke.

Disorganization at it's finest!

I worked at Moda Operandi

Pros

Pay was decent, drinks at work on Fridays

Cons

Mean girl atmosphere. Very cut throat! Beware of backstabbers! It's about who you know and not about the work you do.

They won't take it.

Revolving Door

I worked at Moda Operandi

Pros

Great Crowd to work with

Cons

4 people left the first week I was there.

Don't turn your staff over so quickly.