Model N

Be The First To
Add Photos

Model N Chairman and CEO Zack Rinat

Zack Rinat

Pros
  • Work life balance with opportunity to work from home when neccesary(in 11 reviews)

• Model N provides facilities like work from home(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible Work life balance with expectation to work 90% of weekends in a year(in 9 reviews)

• No work-life balance-expectation is to work 24/7, travel on any notice, and give up any life outside of work(in 4 reviews)

Broken Engineering Organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsProfitable Company. Will sometimes adopt new tech.

ConsThe build system is broken. The is little QA Automation. There is absolutely no Modularity. No attention is paid to best practices. The Platform team is too small to properly support a company of this size.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accepting of input. Senior management tends to adopt a strategy without seeking any input and then refuses to discuss even minor changes. They are happy to bring in outside consultants to advise the company, but they then either ignore the consultants input or in some cases have even become hostile when the consultant offers an opinion that conflicts with what they have already decided to do.

Enticed by salary, awakened by TERRIBLE corporation from the top down.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEnticing starting salary, and that's where it ends.

ConsPoor leadership
    Non-existent management
    ZERO work life balance
    Tangible knowledge of no employee value

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be lured in by the salary, mediocre benefits, and current IPO. This company places no value on it's employees, the end user product is a joke, and the indecency of employee treatment is deplorable.

Rotten middle management, everyone on vacation, no accountability, no innovation

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI'm gathering the below information from my perspective as well as other current and former employees.

- There are some good people there. Everybody is very friendly, nice and a few of them are technically ok.
    - The CEO is strong, Model N is running for the long haul
    - Good professional service branch
    - They sell their software and services very well
    - Leader on the market
    - Great unexplored potential in terms of innovation and business potential. There is a lot of business knowledge at Model N but nobody seems to be willing to take this knowledge to create a product to revolutionize either Analytics or the pharma industry or both. Yet I believe they can.
    - There are really smart top executives (some less smart).

Cons- No innovation, old and ridiculous technical stacks (salesforce, qlikview, old, clunky Java framework)
    - Complete distrust from Product Managers towards developers (justifiably so)
    - Rotten middle management (see below)
    - The company grew too fast, making some bad hiring decisions (bad hiring is ok, not firing fast is not).
    - The software developers' salary are not on par with other companies in the bay area, even if they tell you the opposite. Don't believe them.
    - It's becoming more and more political within my team. It has always been political between teams. I think this comes from several factors. First, the project is not delivered on time so the management/developers try to cover their ass, second, both developers and managers don't seem to focus on delivering a product to be used by customers so they spend their energy elsewhere.
    - A lot of incompetent people (especially in QA, developers, middle management).
    - Prefer to put processes in place instead of making people accountable. It dramatically slows down productivity but justifies the managers' jobs.
    - Employees and managers alike prefer to go play table tennis instead of finishing their tasks for the sprint (maybe because there is no accountability). Most of them are here from 10am to 4pm (a bit less on friday evening).
    - My team has 3 managers for about 15 people. I was floored when one of them said he "did not do anything today" during a daily update. The following day he was in meetings and the day after he reviewed commits... Maybe there was a table tennis tournament at this time so this explains that...
    - All the talent has left the company since the managers were more interested in their politics. Talent is replaced with incompetent people.
    - It is not a software company anymore but a service company. It may be interesting to work for Model N on the service side, not on the development side.
    - The CEO is either completely out of touch from what's really happening on the development side or he is fully aware of it which is even more worrying.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people want to innovate, love accountability. When people leave a company, they most probably leave their manager even if they don't say it. Maybe the amount of people quitting in the recent months should be a red flag ?

To Zack Rinat. Please throw an eye or put a hand in both your 'strategic initiatives'. I think they were great initiatives, wrongly executed. The analytics team needs a real director, leading innovation, not a kid. The other team does not need 3 managers (2 now). Most of this team is on vacation. Hopefully the UX lead and PM pushing the product, but they are the only ones.

If a project keeps pushing it's release date, one or several people are not doing their job...

The company has great potential, unexploited.

I'm not worried about the future of Model N.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far so good

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsSmall Company, lots of socializing

ConsAbsolute chaos; No process adherence

Advice to Senior ManagementShould adher to hiearchy

Not well organized

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsNice people. Big office any kitchen. A lot of parking. Beautiful area. Strong CEO

ConsNo room for creativity
    Too many managers
    Very hirarchical

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a disconnect between management and employees who do the actual work. They seem to have different agenda. Please define: Where is the company going? Strong CEO.

Not a bad company to work for.

ProsGreat work life balance and opportunities.

ConsNothing bad to say really.

Stressful

ProsStill try to figure those out

Constoo many cons for me to list

Advice to Senior Managementit's not enough to have a list of values you aspire to. employees really should adhere to them

Frantic pace, can't keep up with growth in customer facing departments, and no focus on employee growth

ProsFast growing
    High demand for products
    Becoming de facto industry standard
    Very high caliber customer facing employees

ConsRecent addition of "IBM mafia" at senior and mid-level management - no real understanding of Model N culture, products or sources of past success.
    Culture changing from support of risk-taking to "identify and punish those who make mistakes"

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the IPO has detracted from the company's past successful processes.

Mostly non transferrable experience gained.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsEasy learning curve in the High Tech vertical.
    Gain good experience using your Java and SQL skills.
    Some very smart people work there.
    You have an opportunity to make connections with people leaving and joining other companies.

ConsDespite tough learning curve in the Life Sciences vertical, no effort made to keep valuable employees.
    Mostly properitery technologies and frameworks - not useful for future employers.

Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAt Model N, you will find yourself a part of a team that offers a variety of perspectives and also encourages you to share your own.

ConsCould improve on building more dynamic culture, employee training

Worked for Model N? Contribute to the Community!