Model N

Be The First To
Add Photos

Model N Chairman and CEO Zack Rinat

Zack Rinat

Pros
  • Work life balance with opportunity to work from home when neccesary(in 11 reviews)

• Model N provides facilities like work from home(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible Work life balance with expectation to work 90% of weekends in a year(in 9 reviews)

• No work-life balance-expectation is to work 24/7, travel on any notice, and give up any life outside of work(in 4 reviews)

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Anonomous

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood pay for my job and easy hours and job

ConsI have to do more work now

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Extremely Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsSome nice perks like catered lunches on fridays

ConsPoor management, lack of cohesion and culture

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an open culture, solicit input and ideas from employees. Share firm's vision and direction with employees.

Good company with a lack of foresight and execution model.

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWork-life balance and the people

ConsOutdated technology, excessive off-shoring, middle management clueless on how to address product issues, buggy product affecting sales numbers, high attrition and low employee satisfaction ratings.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept and acknowledge the real issues facing the company and take concrete steps to address them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never seen a company goes down hill this fast.

Architect (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros- Few smart employees
    - Zack Rinat, CEO who tries hard

ConsI don't think I can do enough justice on what the company lacks for, because there are so many.
    - Benefits, one of the worst. You end paying 40-60% more health and other benefits in terms of copayment
    - No 401k employer contribution
    - Worst kitchen stocked with all cheap food from Costco.
    - Friday Lunch, whatever Office manager likes it.Mostly, you end up in eating all the cheap and junk food, pizzas being the worst.
    - Middle management, if you want to learn politics then learn from them
    - Product management, you must be kidding.
    - Old timers, CTO.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act fast. This is Silicon Valley.

Very stressful and not fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsMostly a great team with 'can do' attitude. Trying to satisfy customers in very hard markets by making up significant shortcomings in the product with services

ConsOpaque decision making process which is not data driven and with no discernible method. People do not count in the services organization. Strange, as people are what this is all about

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real about the products and pay attention to what your team is telling you

Think twice

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsSome good people work at the company.

ConsManagement tries hard to improve the company, which is good. However, they don't seem to understand what the problems are which says a lot about understanding the challenges of the company. Employees are treated poorly and large portion of bonuses are based on factors that employees can't control. Company has a core set of values they love to emphasize but they don't follow them or hire people that fit the core values. Turnover is so high you're constantly re- creating processes or spending huge amount of time training/ teaching.

Broken Engineering Organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsProfitable Company. Will sometimes adopt new tech.

ConsThe build system is broken. The is little QA Automation. There is absolutely no Modularity. No attention is paid to best practices. The Platform team is too small to properly support a company of this size.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accepting of input. Senior management tends to adopt a strategy without seeking any input and then refuses to discuss even minor changes. They are happy to bring in outside consultants to advise the company, but they then either ignore the consultants input or in some cases have even become hostile when the consultant offers an opinion that conflicts with what they have already decided to do.

Rotten middle management, everyone on vacation, no accountability, no innovation

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI'm gathering the below information from my perspective as well as other current and former employees.

- There are some good people there. Everybody is very friendly, nice and a few of them are technically ok.
    - The CEO is strong, Model N is running for the long haul
    - Good professional service branch
    - They sell their software and services very well
    - Leader on the market
    - Great unexplored potential in terms of innovation and business potential. There is a lot of business knowledge at Model N but nobody seems to be willing to take this knowledge to create a product to revolutionize either Analytics or the pharma industry or both. Yet I believe they can.
    - There are really smart top executives (some less smart).

Cons- No innovation, old and ridiculous technical stacks (salesforce, qlikview, old, clunky Java framework)
    - Complete distrust from Product Managers towards developers (justifiably so)
    - Rotten middle management (see below)
    - The company grew too fast, making some bad hiring decisions (bad hiring is ok, not firing fast is not).
    - The software developers' salary are not on par with other companies in the bay area, even if they tell you the opposite. Don't believe them.
    - It's becoming more and more political within my team. It has always been political between teams. I think this comes from several factors. First, the project is not delivered on time so the management/developers try to cover their ass, second, both developers and managers don't seem to focus on delivering a product to be used by customers so they spend their energy elsewhere.
    - A lot of incompetent people (especially in QA, developers, middle management).
    - Prefer to put processes in place instead of making people accountable. It dramatically slows down productivity but justifies the managers' jobs.
    - Employees and managers alike prefer to go play table tennis instead of finishing their tasks for the sprint (maybe because there is no accountability). Most of them are here from 10am to 4pm (a bit less on friday evening).
    - My team has 3 managers for about 15 people. I was floored when one of them said he "did not do anything today" during a daily update. The following day he was in meetings and the day after he reviewed commits... Maybe there was a table tennis tournament at this time so this explains that...
    - All the talent has left the company since the managers were more interested in their politics. Talent is replaced with incompetent people.
    - It is not a software company anymore but a service company. It may be interesting to work for Model N on the service side, not on the development side.
    - The CEO is either completely out of touch from what's really happening on the development side or he is fully aware of it which is even more worrying.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people want to innovate, love accountability. When people leave a company, they most probably leave their manager even if they don't say it. Maybe the amount of people quitting in the recent months should be a red flag ?

To Zack Rinat. Please throw an eye or put a hand in both your 'strategic initiatives'. I think they were great initiatives, wrongly executed. The analytics team needs a real director, leading innovation, not a kid. The other team does not need 3 managers (2 now). Most of this team is on vacation. Hopefully the UX lead and PM pushing the product, but they are the only ones.

If a project keeps pushing it's release date, one or several people are not doing their job...

The company has great potential, unexploited.

I'm not worried about the future of Model N.

Can get political and can impact your morale when expectations are not communicated

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsSome work from home sometimes but then some people have taken a really bad advantage of that and impacted new comers and put projects in jeoprady

Cons- political
    - unfair HR practices
    - can get very isolating
    - some old timers are very selfish about their knowledge to the new comers and the management is willing to let go bad habits of old timers and punish the new comers a lot .. seriously I am not the kind who uses these negative reviews but they can lure you into a great offer and then go back on their own promises

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better mentorship program for your professional services and have a better understanding of performance management

Amazing collection of smart folks

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWork with an amazingly smart group of people

ConsWorking through 3 timezones can get rough

Worked for Model N? Contribute to the Community!