Model N Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
2.6

Model N Chairman and CEO Zack Rinat
Zack Rinat

Pros
  • Work life balance with opportunity to work from home when neccesary (in 11 reviews)

• Model N provides facilities like work from home (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible Work life balance with expectation to work 90% of weekends in a year (in 10 reviews)

• No work-life balance-expectation is to work 24/7, travel on any notice, and give up any life outside of work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Never seen a company goes down hill this fast.

Former Employee - Architect  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Few smart employees
    - Zack Rinat, CEO who tries hard

Cons

I don't think I can do enough justice on what the company lacks for, because there are so many.
    - Benefits, one of the worst. You end paying 40-60% more health and other benefits in terms of copayment
    - No 401k employer contribution
    - Worst kitchen stocked with all cheap food from Costco.
    - Friday Lunch, whatever Office manager likes it.Mostly, you end up in eating all the cheap and junk food, pizzas being the worst.
    - Middle management, if you want to learn politics then learn from them
    - Product management, you must be kidding.
    - Old timers, CTO.

Get your act fast. This is Silicon Valley.

Terrible

I worked at Model N full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am writing review here just for one reason, I do not want someone repeat my awful experience with them. I worked there and I can tell you just stay away from them. It has mentally and verbally abusive environment

Cons

old fashion company
    no work life balance
    no growth in career
    no leadership

Awful

I worked at Model N full-time for more than a year

Pros

I just put this review here because I read some of reviews here. I worked in Model N. I just have one advice to you, stay away from them as much you can. It has verbally and mentally abusive environment

Cons

old fashioned company
    no work life balance
    no growth path

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very stressful and not fun

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mostly a great team with 'can do' attitude. Trying to satisfy customers in very hard markets by making up significant shortcomings in the product with services

Cons

Opaque decision making process which is not data driven and with no discernible method. People do not count in the services organization. Strange, as people are what this is all about

Get real about the products and pay attention to what your team is telling you

Had some bumps, but still a great place to work,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Model N full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lot of resources in terms of money, expertise, and support.
    Good managers and good work-life balance (at least here in the Boston office).
    Good opportunities for learning and advancing one's career.
    Recently had some layoffs, making the company more lean and efficient.

Cons

A little bit disconnected from HQ office in CA.
    Incentive structure is a little flat (ie. not much reward for those putting in extra effort).

Find ways to address the "cons" listed above.

Stay away unless you are ready to put 90 Hour work weeks

Former Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Model N full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base Pay is good comparatively
    Some remote working potential

Cons

Expected to work technically 24/7
    Have to travel to unexpected client locations.
    Poor Product Development
    No sustained growth of the company unless another Big Pharma buys their product
    Bonus is not based on factors that employees control
    Horrible Work life balance with expectation to work 90% of weekends in a year
    There are a bunch of Uptight, stuck up individuals in Middle Management who will run this company to the grave. (However they do have fancy titles - Director, Associate Director, Associate Assistant Director, Jr. Associate Director). Except for a few Technical resources, everyone is a Director

Fix your product and fire the "middle Management' idiots

Think twice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good people work at the company.

Cons

Management tries hard to improve the company, which is good. However, they don't seem to understand what the problems are which says a lot about understanding the challenges of the company. Employees are treated poorly and large portion of bonuses are based on factors that employees can't control. Company has a core set of values they love to emphasize but they don't follow them or hire people that fit the core values. Turnover is so high you're constantly re- creating processes or spending huge amount of time training/ teaching.

Broken Engineering Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time

Pros

Profitable Company. Will sometimes adopt new tech.

Cons

The build system is broken. The is little QA Automation. There is absolutely no Modularity. No attention is paid to best practices. The Platform team is too small to properly support a company of this size.

Be more accepting of input. Senior management tends to adopt a strategy without seeking any input and then refuses to discuss even minor changes. They are happy to bring in outside consultants to advise the company, but they then either ignore the consultants input or in some cases have even become hostile when the consultant offers an opinion that conflicts with what they have already decided to do.

Enticed by salary, awakened by TERRIBLE corporation from the top down.

I worked at Model N full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enticing starting salary, and that's where it ends.

Cons

Poor leadership
    Non-existent management
    ZERO work life balance
    Tangible knowledge of no employee value

Don't be lured in by the salary, mediocre benefits, and current IPO. This company places no value on it's employees, the end user product is a joke, and the indecency of employee treatment is deplorable.

Rotten middle management, everyone on vacation, no accountability, no innovation

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time

Pros

I'm gathering the below information from my perspective as well as other current and former employees.

- There are some good people there. Everybody is very friendly, nice and a few of them are technically ok.
    - The CEO is strong, Model N is running for the long haul
    - Good professional service branch
    - They sell their software and services very well
    - Leader on the market
    - Great unexplored potential in terms of innovation and business potential. There is a lot of business knowledge at Model N but nobody seems to be willing to take this knowledge to create a product to revolutionize either Analytics or the pharma industry or both. Yet I believe they can.
    - There are really smart top executives (some less smart).

Cons

- No innovation, old and ridiculous technical stacks (salesforce, qlikview, old, clunky Java framework)
    - Complete distrust from Product Managers towards developers (justifiably so)
    - Rotten middle management (see below)
    - The company grew too fast, making some bad hiring decisions (bad hiring is ok, not firing fast is not).
    - The software developers' salary are not on par with other companies in the bay area, even if they tell you the opposite. Don't believe them.
    - It's becoming more and more political within my team. It has always been political between teams. I think this comes from several factors. First, the project is not delivered on time so the management/developers try to cover their ass, second, both developers and managers don't seem to focus on delivering a product to be used by customers so they spend their energy elsewhere.
    - A lot of incompetent people (especially in QA, developers, middle management).
    - Prefer to put processes in place instead of making people accountable. It dramatically slows down productivity but justifies the managers' jobs.
    - Employees and managers alike prefer to go play table tennis instead of finishing their tasks for the sprint (maybe because there is no accountability). Most of them are here from 10am to 4pm (a bit less on friday evening).
    - My team has 3 managers for about 15 people. I was floored when one of them said he "did not do anything today" during a daily update. The following day he was in meetings and the day after he reviewed commits... Maybe there was a table tennis tournament at this time so this explains that...
    - All the talent has left the company since the managers were more interested in their politics. Talent is replaced with incompetent people.
    - It is not a software company anymore but a service company. It may be interesting to work for Model N on the service side, not on the development side.
    - The CEO is either completely out of touch from what's really happening on the development side or he is fully aware of it which is even more worrying.

Good people want to innovate, love accountability. When people leave a company, they most probably leave their manager even if they don't say it. Maybe the amount of people quitting in the recent months should be a red flag ?

To Zack Rinat. Please throw an eye or put a hand in both your 'strategic initiatives'. I think they were great initiatives, wrongly executed. The analytics team needs a real director, leading innovation, not a kid. The other team does not need 3 managers (2 now). Most of this team is on vacation. Hopefully the UX lead and PM pushing the product, but they are the only ones.

If a project keeps pushing it's release date, one or several people are not doing their job...

The company has great potential, unexploited.

I'm not worried about the future of Model N.

Worked for Model N? Contribute to the Community!