Modern Luxury

Starr Scuderi

Intern

Current Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Modern Luxury as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Interns are trusted with real tasks
    - No coffee runs or particularly menial tasks
    - Sat in on sales and staff meetings to see

Cons

- Unpaid internship
    - Office culture was lacking

Intern interactions with publishers was minimal, more would be better!

No support and terrible leadership

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Modern Luxury

Pros

left to own devices often

Cons

poor leadership with weak managers, lack of structure, absolutely no support to succeed.

attend a management retreat and learn positive management skills

Impressive company with a bright future

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Modern Luxury as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good experience from talented & successful people in sales and marketing. Able to sit in on national sales meeting and also invited to weekly sales meetings.

Cons

Sometimes office responsibilities include mailing, printing, packaging, storage closet tasks, etc.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Hands-on, eye-opening experience. A great career starter and breakthrough in the magazine publishing industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Modern Luxury as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart, hardworking, and knowledgable team of editors, room for acknowledgment and creativity, huge support system among editors, thorough execution. The editors generally want to you to succeed and do well. This internship is definitely very hands-on and educational if you've never had an internship—you are expected to take on many different tasks out of the description, which most are beneficial. Interning here can really help you decide whether you want to work in magazine publishing or not; it's more productive here, compared to the higher publishing corporations.
    The Editor-in-Chief is a wonderful woman who you can learn a lot from, as the rest of the editors. You will get the chance to work with and connect with many different professionals and very important people, which can permit a great networking opportunity.

Cons

Editorial team does not get as much credit and acknowledgement. Because it is too close-knit and small, there are more responsibilities and burdens to carry; there is virtually no privacy, and there can be some silenced tension in the air, and lack of communication, due to distance. There can be too many unannounced, external changes that come from outside.

Great stepping stone if you want to work in Publishing.

I worked at Modern Luxury

Pros

It's a beautiful product with the potential to be more.

Cons

No work life balance and although they advertise the job as "competitive pay", it's a joke. They don't compensate you for what you are worth. They would rather work you to death, have you quit, and hire another person for less money. They won't reward you if you have proven yourself to be a valuable asset to the company. If you bring up salary, they might give you a $2000 yealy raise, but expect to do more work.They have a high turnover because employees find other opportunities that pay them more, better benefits, and growth avenues. If you are interviewing for this company, be sure to ask all the right questions and do your research. Don't be fooled by the luxurious office and faux smiles, it's all a facade.

Corporate needs to hire the right people to run each market. Hire leaders who care, not people who are there to only promote themselves with their titles. It's Modern Luxury folks, not Conde Nast, get over yourselves.

Good touching stone for someone young--or destination for someone boring.

I worked at Modern Luxury as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Though the tight rein that HQ keeps on its local magazines can easily be frustrating, I did admire the vision that ML has as a brand. As much as I dislike it, it does what it does well.

Cons

If you enjoy documenting the boring lives of the tacky demi monde while living the life of a serf, Modern Luxury is for you. I learned a lot as a young editorial assistant, but these were mostly administrative tasks that you could learn as a point person elsewhere. ML headquarters also keep a tight rein on content of all its local magazines, so there's considerably little creative room. It genuinely made me realize that I don't care about money as much as I thought I did, after realizing how boring and tacky many of the socialites in our magazine were.

Great experience and look into future career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Modern Luxury as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Interning here you get access to actual team meetings and conferences with clients. They give you more responsibility as time goes on, which is really helpful for resume building. Never felt uncomfortable, or that I couldn't ask questions, learned a lot during my time here.

Cons

Unpaid internship, which is a struggle to take while in school full time. Hours were three days a week usually four/five hours a day.. sometimes work was limited and was not able to scale down hours as much.

Company needs to work on communication with higher management-in house management is great..but sometimes I learned employees don't hear back from upper levels at all. They try to stay out of the picture which isn't helpful for growth.

Great experience

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Modern Luxury part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people and supervisors to help me learn

Cons

Wish there was more of an office cuture

No one knows what they're doing

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Modern Luxury full-time

Pros

Commission is great and you can create your own schedule

Cons

No training, managers are clueless, they don't set realistic goals and basically driving the company into the ground.

Learn how to lead, teach, and get organized

Sales Internship Review

I worked at Modern Luxury as an intern

Pros

-Interns sit in on weekly staff meetings, so they're given a glimpse into what the Account Execs do
    -ability to put a national publication on your resume
    -got to attend magazine sponsored parties

Cons

-all I learned was how to make a spreadsheet and mark pages in magazines
    -they didn't seem to care to teach interns anything about the industry
    -there is not a lot of sustainability among the Account Execs (at least in the Dallas office), people are always leaving and being replaced