Modern Luxury

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Starr Scuderi

Great experience and look into future career

Chicago, IL

ProsInterning here you get access to actual team meetings and conferences with clients. They give you more responsibility as time goes on, which is really helpful for resume building. Never felt uncomfortable, or that I couldn't ask questions, learned a lot during my time here.

ConsUnpaid internship, which is a struggle to take while in school full time. Hours were three days a week usually four/five hours a day.. sometimes work was limited and was not able to scale down hours as much.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to work on communication with higher management-in house management is great..but sometimes I learned employees don't hear back from upper levels at all. They try to stay out of the picture which isn't helpful for growth.

Great experience

Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat people and supervisors to help me learn

ConsWish there was more of an office cuture

No one knows what they're doing

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsCommission is great and you can create your own schedule

ConsNo training, managers are clueless, they don't set realistic goals and basically driving the company into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to lead, teach, and get organized

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Internship Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Interns sit in on weekly staff meetings, so they're given a glimpse into what the Account Execs do
    -ability to put a national publication on your resume
    -got to attend magazine sponsored parties

Cons-all I learned was how to make a spreadsheet and mark pages in magazines
    -they didn't seem to care to teach interns anything about the industry
    -there is not a lot of sustainability among the Account Execs (at least in the Dallas office), people are always leaving and being replaced

Staff very helpful and friendly.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly work environment with ambitious and talented people.

ConsA bit stuck in the past, not up to date and not ready to tackle online + mobile marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more effort into digital strategy.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThis company does attract a talented group of people and I have made life long friends with some amazing people who have the potential to grow tremendously at the RIGHT company.

ConsPoor pay structure, work load gets piled up on the Assistants due lack organization. There is a revolving door of employees and it's mostly within the sales department. A lot of negative and unhappy employees on their way through that revolving door. There is also poor communication within management and staff. I would think twice if seeking employment as a sales rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is lack of true leadership and priority with the Senior Management. I think Corporate in Atlanta needs to get more involved in what the outside offices are doing. And they need to listen to their employees when they have certain concerns and issues. Corporate needs to evaluate Senior Management and replace them with true leaders who want to lead their staff to success, not misery.

Great experience for anyone interested in the industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work environment that definitely allows all employees to grow in various ways and prepare for promotions down the road.

ConsA majority of the teams within the markets are short-staffed, causing workloads for some to become heftier than advertised.

Well-rounded

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Very friendly, helpful and supportive staff.
    -A good place to work at; you get to work around a bit of everything. Good place to start your career.
    -Working together with other ML staff members in other cities.

Cons-Bombardment of work from different people on short-notice.
    -Often put in uncomfortable situations and tasks.
    -Office is small and space is incredibly scarce.
    -Interns not invited to events

Amazing! great people to work for!

Marketing/Events (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsAs an intern they give you ample opportunity to grow and learn more about the industry. They offer as much help as needed to connect you with people in the industry

ConsThere is no job guarantee after completing the internship. However, they try to introduce you to people who can give you a job.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool office, cool events, Access to free magazines

ConsNo structure to intern program, simply there to work events or do admin work, most days boss wouldn't even know if I was there unless I stopped by and even then there was nothing to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage your interns and have them work on some meaningful projects. You are there to teach and they can't learn unless you give them work and guide them

Worked for Modern Luxury? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Modern Luxury reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Modern Luxury CEO Starr Scuderi. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Modern Luxury employees.