Modern Postcard
www.modernpostcard.com Carlsbad, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Modern Postcard Reviews

Updated Feb 3, 2014

Steve Hoffman

Great people, great benefits, learned a lot

Receptionist (Former Employee)

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time for more than a year

ProsThe training was great and this being my first "grown-up" job in a corporate environment, I learned a lot about customer service, marketing and professionalism. The culture was collaborative, innovative and fun. We had free lunch, tons of parties, activities and gift cards handed out often. I know there was a time when things went down hill at same time I was here from 2005-2007 when things were awesome.

ConsMy pay was pretty low, at the same time I valued my experience here a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have anything right now.

Drowning in their own culture.

Creative Talent (Former Employee)

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are above average. CEO is a nice guy. Beautiful building and location.

ConsDistrustful upper management and HR. Marketing has had executive turn over every two or three years. Marketing manager has no real nor original strategy to improve revenue. The company has lost market shares due to incompetence and unrealistic expectations. Many employees have been there for years and are satisfied with putting forth minimum daily effort in executing their job. No desire to raise employee talent and expectations. Company salaries are below average but they maintain their employee core with occasional company events, as employees feel somewhat appreciated. HR is untrustworthy with internal and confidential employee problems. No real solutions for employees. Corporate sales have reduced to almost nil with no competent leadership to secure more clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the expectations of employee output. Bring in new outside management with fresh ideas to deminishing revenue problems. Stop relying on the culture of years past. The "fat" days are over.

Sinking Ship

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time

ProsThe people who are with you in the trenches are the best. A lot of talented, smart people. This used to be an amazing company!

ConsThe industry is dying and so is the company. Senior Management is focused on "pie in the sky" ideas that are destined to fail, which will further sink this ship. This has destroyed the morale and made employees bitter, burned out, distrustful and fed up with management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop surrounding yourself with "yes men" and figure out how to save this company before you put a lot of talented, hardworking people out of work. Side projects are great, pursuing new ideas is great, but you're ignoring what's left at the core of your business and it's going to be your downfall.

A Promising Company Artificially Constrained.

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe general (employee-based) culture of Modern Postcard is a positive one with engaged and experienced employees. Employee medical benefits are above-par and the company has a good reputation for quality in it's industry.

ConsBenefits - While medical benefits are above par most other benefits have been eliminated over the last few years. This includes 401(k) match and profit sharing.

Systems - The business systems are showing their increasing age. Efforts to introduce real and cost-effective change are consistently rebuffed by the owner in favor of his own eternally "under development" solutions.

Poor Senior Management - The owner seems to be increasingly focused on his personal technology projects and shows little interest in realistic approaches to addressing company customer erosion, efficiency, and capacity issues. Even where recommendations to address these issues are solicited from management and/or external consultants this feedback is ignored where significant change is proposed. The fact that the recommendations of both of these parties (internal and external) tend to be consistent should also be given serious consideration..

Advice to Senior ManagementModern Postcard management has been advised, in a full variety of disciplines, of its current challenges and areas for improvement. Until the CEO embraces the feedback of people outside of his echo chamber, removes himself as the largest obstacle to change, and allows the management team to use their expertise to lead the company past its current challenges the company will continue to struggle

I was only employed a short time but I had a very positive experience at MP. Great training and quality people.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time for less than a year

Prosestablished customer base, best in class product, experienced staff

ConsNot open to new ideas. Stuck in the rut of doing business as they have always done it. Their computer systems are old and outdated as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to change, grow, and improve you have to improve your systems, your people, and your thinking. They talk about change and thinking outside the box but talking about it and doing it are two different things.

Overall, a good company to work for but needs a lot of work

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time

ProsBenefits are great with a lot of different options, very fun & friendly coworkers, good hours, great location in Carlsbad. Once in awhile has fun activities for employees.

ConsManagement is very naive and oblivious to what is happening on the floors with employees, but most importantly the supervisors. They don't contribute to 401k anymore. Not very much room for growth because they keep certain employees around when they shouldn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take supervisors' words over regular employees, they aren't trustworthy. Take a close look at the supervisors and what they really have to offer. Some think they are irreplaceable, but they just put on a good show. Look at monthly reports too, those don't lie. The department employees really do make their supervisors look good.

Really exceptional experience at Modern Postcard

Prepress (Former Employee)

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time for more than a year

Prosbeing treated as a human being with access to ping pong tables, health and art fairs, fair surveys, open communication and dedication to innovation. Our work surveys even included employees rating their managers. We had a cafe with free food, and so many other special things that made working here feel like a dream. The economy crashed, though, and I don't know how they are doing right now.

ConsMy manager was very inept, and even after many complaints were filed, nothing was done to change this.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the employees' criticism seriously.

It's a great place to work and not so great.

Mail Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Modern Postcard

ProsThe owner is awesome. He and JP are the two coolest executives I've ever worked for. Those two created the empire that company is today.

ConsThe manangement and human resources are weak at best. Management talks to HR to fire someone and HR goes off of their word and HR never investigates the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSit down at your desk and work for once and get something accomplished. Quit acting like hotshots.

Things got tough for a while, but they are way better now

I have been working at Modern Postcard

ProsBeautiful building, location near the beach (you can see the ocean out the windows), fun environment, work/life balance encouraged, Senior Vice President / co-founder is awesome. Fun place to work (movie nights, Wii tournaments / rock band Fridays, employee art show). MP has a good reputation in the industry and that is really nice to hear about from our clients.

ConsThe last couple of years were rough, due to the economy. The only senior management in place now is the owner and the co-founder, who came back from retirement to fix the company. Things have improved a lot since 2008/2009.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep introducing new and innovative products for us to sell, and to help customers be successful in their campaigns. People are advertising again, and it's so great to see clients able to grow once more.

Bombs Away.

Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Modern Postcard

ProsAlmost impossible to get fired, unless you are terrible at your job for a consistent amount of time exceed 1 year.

ConsCompany riddled with people doing work that could/should be consolidated among more capable people. They need to save money and offer lower prices rather than overstaff areas that don't need it and keep prices high.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou aren't right for the job. For example, they have a corner cutting CFO in charge of Sales' budget? They promoted a call center guy to Sales Director with possibly no actual sales experience. Another cost cutting Plant Manager is in charge of Marketing's budget. No review on Marketing materials ever passes anyone in sales with actual experience dealing with clients. Too many people on the floor. Keep QC, lose customer service and let Sales deal with that.

Worked for Modern Postcard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Modern Postcard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Modern Postcard CEO Steve Hoffman. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Modern Postcard employees.