Modern Postcard Reviews

Steve Hoffman

1. Cool Products, Shifting Strategies

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location is great, the building is modern and they try to use the latest technologies. The quality of the product is great, which is nice because you have happy, loyal customers. They have stayed in business for quite a while, surviving up and down economies.

Cons

Shifting strategies, a revolving door of executives makes you wonder. Clocking in even for exempt employees makes you wonder how much they trust you.

2. Great product quality and customer service, but that's about it.

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time

Pros

40-hour weeks and you don't take stress/work home with you. I really liked my manager. The customer service and products are of great quality.

Cons

On the outside, before I started working at MP, the company seemed like a great place to work- people talked about how the company was striving to innovate, stressed the teamwork-friendly culture of the company, and that was not my experience at all. The atmosphere is totally quiet, everyone is in individual cubes, there is minimal employee interaction- it is not a warm environment at all. Not only is the pay lower than industry standard (most likely for every role throughout the company) but the entire time I was there I felt unappreciated and utterly replaceable, and based on the minimal interaction I did have with some colleagues, I am/was not the only one who felt that way. Also, co-workers (whom you almost no interaction with) are the ones who fill out your quarterly performance reports. And the coworkers are chosen at random, so if they are not familiar with your work and/or you don't have any interpersonal relationship, this most likely leaves you with a negative report, or at the very least, uninformed and inaccurate. I never understood that system at all. Lastly, and probably most importantly, there is virtually NO GROWTH POSSIBILITIES for your career at MP. If you want a safe, secure, low-stress job, it's a great place to work. If you are ambitious and want to be further in your career in 5 years than you are now, it's not the place for you.

Advice to Management

The customer service is great-- too great, and its costing the company in more ways than one. In my time there, I saw many instances where clients had hundreds of dollars of fees "waived" just so that the Sales Rep could keep that sale and therefore their commission. This has to be costing the company money, which in the end only hurts EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE because jobs are lost, already-low salaries/benefits/bonuses are cut, and we are all unhappier for it.

Once good company with great promise took a dysfunctional turn.

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworker collaboration made this company start strong, expand and maintain leadership in niche business for years, immune from periodic recessions. Coworkers made it a place to look forward to being every day because of professionalism and sense of responsibility.

During peak years, highly qualified HR Department helped CEO upgrade company pay scale and benefits (401-K, health insurance options, Section 125 plan, Health Fairs, etc).

Company used to be at forefront of digital production; a great place to be professionally.

Cons

My department manager never around, allowed personal conflicts within group to escalate, and failed to lead. There was a failure to cultivate advancement based on individual’s strengths, keeping everyone at same level.

Corporate culture shifted from merit-based advancement to connection-based. Qualified employees sometimes didn’t get recognition and advancement deserved. Monthly awards given to same few individuals (even for minor acts), while others with substantial contributions passed over. This became a running joke (and “downer”) among employees.

Management became arrogant and isolated, and often not open to constructive solutions for improvement. Well-researched employee proposals bogged down in endless meetings, and disappeared or became diluted and less effective.

Eventually upper management too concerned with "fun" atmosphere at expense of efficiency and productivity. Noisy cubicle birthday parties and Ping-Pong tournaments in workspace distracted from conducting business with clients via phone, and quality control and production teams. These activities should have been separated from the workspace.

Within a few months in 2008 all HR staff left the company, and character of HR changed drastically for the worse.

Advice to Management

Listen to ALL employees to determine who is providing smart, truly useful feedback and suggestions, and reward them. Collaborate with people at all levels without being threatened by employees having an idea or solving a problem first. You can’t think of everything yourself. Keep in mind employees are involved in all areas of the business, and usually aware of where improvements are needed.

You have always had a goldmine of employee potential to cultivate. But, beware of employees who fawn and flatter.

Return to a fair, productive and relaxed work environment. It encourages team collaboration and great productivity without resorting to distracting and noisy entertainment.

5. Wrapped system of annual performance evalutions

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small groups of like-minded employees can get you through the day.

Cons

Annual performance evaluations are filled out by employees nominated by the employee being evalutated. This leads to cronyism amoung employees who don't give an honest and realistic evaluation of friends/coworkers. Instead over embellishment is common. Evaluations are tied to annual raises, if any, as well. Instead of managers taking the time to engage daily with subordinates and gather their own opinion, they rely solely on the slanted opinions of coworkers to assess the employee and create an inaccurate evaluation report that is part of the employee's permanent file.

Many departments are infected with petty politics and favortism.

Advice to Management

Get out on the floor engage with employees daily. Respect employees who have different and original ideas because the same ideas have not worked to increase revenue. Trim the employees who don't put out a solid daily effort. Don't allow employees to evaluate each other....no one tells the truth in fear of being found out-this is a small company.

Sinking Ship

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time

Pros

The people who are with you in the trenches are the best. A lot of talented, smart people. This used to be an amazing company!

Cons

The industry is dying and so is the company. Senior Management is focused on "pie in the sky" ideas that are destined to fail, which will further sink this ship. This has destroyed the morale and made employees bitter, burned out, distrustful and fed up with management.

Advice to Management

Stop surrounding yourself with "yes men" and figure out how to save this company before you put a lot of talented, hardworking people out of work. Side projects are great, pursuing new ideas is great, but you're ignoring what's left at the core of your business and it's going to be your downfall.

7. Great people, great benefits, learned a lot

Former Employee - Receptionist in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training was great and this being my first "grown-up" job in a corporate environment, I learned a lot about customer service, marketing and professionalism. The culture was collaborative, innovative and fun. We had free lunch, tons of parties, activities and gift cards handed out often. I know there was a time when things went down hill at same time I was here from 2005-2007 when things were awesome.

Cons

My pay was pretty low, at the same time I valued my experience here a lot.

Advice to Management

I don't have anything right now.

A Promising Company Artificially Constrained.

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The general (employee-based) culture of Modern Postcard is a positive one with engaged and experienced employees. Employee medical benefits are above-par and the company has a good reputation for quality in it's industry.

Cons

Benefits - While medical benefits are above par most other benefits have been eliminated over the last few years. This includes 401(k) match and profit sharing.

Systems - The business systems are showing their increasing age. Efforts to introduce real and cost-effective change are consistently rebuffed by the owner in favor of his own eternally "under development" solutions.

Poor Senior Management - The owner seems to be increasingly focused on his personal technology projects and shows little interest in realistic approaches to addressing company customer erosion, efficiency, and capacity issues. Even where recommendations to address these issues are solicited from management and/or external consultants this feedback is ignored where significant change is proposed. The fact that the recommendations of both of these parties (internal and external) tend to be consistent should also be given serious consideration..

Advice to Management

Modern Postcard management has been advised, in a full variety of disciplines, of its current challenges and areas for improvement. Until the CEO embraces the feedback of people outside of his echo chamber, removes himself as the largest obstacle to change, and allows the management team to use their expertise to lead the company past its current challenges the company will continue to struggle

I was only employed a short time but I had a very positive experience at MP. Great training and quality people.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

established customer base, best in class product, experienced staff

Cons

Not open to new ideas. Stuck in the rut of doing business as they have always done it. Their computer systems are old and outdated as well.

Advice to Management

In order to change, grow, and improve you have to improve your systems, your people, and your thinking. They talk about change and thinking outside the box but talking about it and doing it are two different things.

Overall, a good company to work for but needs a lot of work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time

Pros

Benefits are great with a lot of different options, very fun & friendly coworkers, good hours, great location in Carlsbad. Once in awhile has fun activities for employees.

Cons

Management is very naive and oblivious to what is happening on the floors with employees, but most importantly the supervisors. They don't contribute to 401k anymore. Not very much room for growth because they keep certain employees around when they shouldn't.

Advice to Management

Don't take supervisors' words over regular employees, they aren't trustworthy. Take a close look at the supervisors and what they really have to offer. Some think they are irreplaceable, but they just put on a good show. Look at monthly reports too, those don't lie. The department employees really do make their supervisors look good.

Really exceptional experience at Modern Postcard

Former Employee - Prepress in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Prepress in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

being treated as a human being with access to ping pong tables, health and art fairs, fair surveys, open communication and dedication to innovation. Our work surveys even included employees rating their managers. We had a cafe with free food, and so many other special things that made working here feel like a dream. The economy crashed, though, and I don't know how they are doing right now.

Cons

My manager was very inept, and even after many complaints were filed, nothing was done to change this.

Advice to Management

Take the employees' criticism seriously.

RSS Feed </> Embed