Modern Postcard

Steve Hoffman

Cool Products, Shifting Strategies

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The location is great, the building is modern and they try to use the latest technologies. The quality of the product is great, which is nice because you have happy, loyal customers. They have stayed in business for quite a while, surviving up and down economies.

Cons

Shifting strategies, a revolving door of executives makes you wonder. Clocking in even for exempt employees makes you wonder how much they trust you.

Wrapped system of annual performance evalutions

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small groups of like-minded employees can get you through the day.

Cons

Annual performance evaluations are filled out by employees nominated by the employee being evalutated. This leads to cronyism amoung employees who don't give an honest and realistic evaluation of friends/coworkers. Instead over embellishment is common. Evaluations are tied to annual raises, if any, as well. Instead of managers taking the time to engage daily with subordinates and gather their own opinion, they rely solely on the slanted opinions of coworkers to assess the employee and create an inaccurate evaluation report that is part of the employee's permanent file.

Many departments are infected with petty politics and favortism.

Get out on the floor engage with employees daily. Respect employees who have different and original ideas because the same ideas have not worked to increase revenue. Trim the employees who don't put out a solid daily effort. Don't allow employees to evaluate each other....no one tells the truth in fear of being found out-this is a small company.

Sinking Ship

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time

Pros

The people who are with you in the trenches are the best. A lot of talented, smart people. This used to be an amazing company!

Cons

The industry is dying and so is the company. Senior Management is focused on "pie in the sky" ideas that are destined to fail, which will further sink this ship. This has destroyed the morale and made employees bitter, burned out, distrustful and fed up with management.

Stop surrounding yourself with "yes men" and figure out how to save this company before you put a lot of talented, hardworking people out of work. Side projects are great, pursuing new ideas is great, but you're ignoring what's left at the core of your business and it's going to be your downfall.

Great people, great benefits, learned a lot

Former Employee - Receptionist in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training was great and this being my first "grown-up" job in a corporate environment, I learned a lot about customer service, marketing and professionalism. The culture was collaborative, innovative and fun. We had free lunch, tons of parties, activities and gift cards handed out often. I know there was a time when things went down hill at same time I was here from 2005-2007 when things were awesome.

Cons

My pay was pretty low, at the same time I valued my experience here a lot.

I don't have anything right now.

A Promising Company Artificially Constrained.

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The general (employee-based) culture of Modern Postcard is a positive one with engaged and experienced employees. Employee medical benefits are above-par and the company has a good reputation for quality in it's industry.

Cons

Benefits - While medical benefits are above par most other benefits have been eliminated over the last few years. This includes 401(k) match and profit sharing.

Systems - The business systems are showing their increasing age. Efforts to introduce real and cost-effective change are consistently rebuffed by the owner in favor of his own eternally "under development" solutions.

Poor Senior Management - The owner seems to be increasingly focused on his personal technology projects and shows little interest in realistic approaches to addressing company customer erosion, efficiency, and capacity issues. Even where recommendations to address these issues are solicited from management and/or external consultants this feedback is ignored where significant change is proposed. The fact that the recommendations of both of these parties (internal and external) tend to be consistent should also be given serious consideration..

Modern Postcard management has been advised, in a full variety of disciplines, of its current challenges and areas for improvement. Until the CEO embraces the feedback of people outside of his echo chamber, removes himself as the largest obstacle to change, and allows the management team to use their expertise to lead the company past its current challenges the company will continue to struggle

I was only employed a short time but I had a very positive experience at MP. Great training and quality people.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

established customer base, best in class product, experienced staff

Cons

Not open to new ideas. Stuck in the rut of doing business as they have always done it. Their computer systems are old and outdated as well.

In order to change, grow, and improve you have to improve your systems, your people, and your thinking. They talk about change and thinking outside the box but talking about it and doing it are two different things.

Overall, a good company to work for but needs a lot of work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time

Pros

Benefits are great with a lot of different options, very fun & friendly coworkers, good hours, great location in Carlsbad. Once in awhile has fun activities for employees.

Cons

Management is very naive and oblivious to what is happening on the floors with employees, but most importantly the supervisors. They don't contribute to 401k anymore. Not very much room for growth because they keep certain employees around when they shouldn't.

Don't take supervisors' words over regular employees, they aren't trustworthy. Take a close look at the supervisors and what they really have to offer. Some think they are irreplaceable, but they just put on a good show. Look at monthly reports too, those don't lie. The department employees really do make their supervisors look good.

Really exceptional experience at Modern Postcard

Former Employee - Prepress in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Prepress in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Modern Postcard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

being treated as a human being with access to ping pong tables, health and art fairs, fair surveys, open communication and dedication to innovation. Our work surveys even included employees rating their managers. We had a cafe with free food, and so many other special things that made working here feel like a dream. The economy crashed, though, and I don't know how they are doing right now.

Cons

My manager was very inept, and even after many complaints were filed, nothing was done to change this.

Take the employees' criticism seriously.

It's a great place to work and not so great.

Current Employee - Mail Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Mail Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Modern Postcard

Pros

The owner is awesome. He and JP are the two coolest executives I've ever worked for. Those two created the empire that company is today.

Cons

The manangement and human resources are weak at best. Management talks to HR to fire someone and HR goes off of their word and HR never investigates the situation.

Sit down at your desk and work for once and get something accomplished. Quit acting like hotshots.

Things got tough for a while, but they are way better now

I have been working at Modern Postcard

Pros

Beautiful building, location near the beach (you can see the ocean out the windows), fun environment, work/life balance encouraged, Senior Vice President / co-founder is awesome. Fun place to work (movie nights, Wii tournaments / rock band Fridays, employee art show). MP has a good reputation in the industry and that is really nice to hear about from our clients.

Cons

The last couple of years were rough, due to the economy. The only senior management in place now is the owner and the co-founder, who came back from retirement to fix the company. Things have improved a lot since 2008/2009.

Keep introducing new and innovative products for us to sell, and to help customers be successful in their campaigns. People are advertising again, and it's so great to see clients able to grow once more.

Modern Postcard Photos