Modern Woodmen

Add Photos

W. Kenny Massey

Great Place To Work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay and training! Managing Partners are terrific at what they do, and are always willing to help. It feels like a mom and pop shop.

ConsAll commission from the beginning. Maybe have a base plus commission for the first year. If you don't have a market, you won't succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing.

Great company. If you work hard you will be successful.

Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFraternalism allows you to give back to the community in a meaningful way. Company reputation is stellar. Employee benefits include excellent major medical, standard dental, 401k with 50% match, and a company funded pension that is adequately funded. (no vision plan offered)

ConsProduct offering is somewhat limited. Commissions are not as much as they should be for the sales force on some products. Promotion opportunities may be based on buddy system as much as qualifications depending on where you are located. Quality of management varies widely from one region to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the number of regional directors by combining existing regions. Longstanding regions with one or two districts and only a few agents do not justify a regional office budget. Use the savings to increase compensation for managing partners and the sales force.

Sales

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX

ProsLots of independence and ability to set your own hours. Hardwork pays off sometimes but not always. You must be willing to harass a lot of people before you get a small sale.

ConsLack of quality training, must learn on the job. To be successful you must work long hours everyday and invest a lot of your own money into gas, client lunches, and advertising.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more time with your field representatives than simple class room lecture and a couple of sales calls.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for, hard business to succeed in.

Financial Representative (Former Employee)

ProsQuality values, they want you to succeed, and their fraternal benefits are a great selling point.

ConsTheir name recognition is substantially less than Edward Jones or any of the other big guys. There was very little training in the first three months.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a training program within a month of hiring a new Financial Representative.

Run fast!!!

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe interview process was great! They made it seem like it the best place to work for.

ConsGetting your own leads. No training from management. When you bring in a policy watch out, the managers will try to rob you!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire shady managers & if you advertise to do something, do it. Don't waste anyone's time, it makes you look weak!

Modern Woodmen is a solid employer with good benefits and a strong training program

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsOne of the highest ratings for a financial services company.

ConsOld workforce drives up the cost of health benefits.

Have acheived many goals while at this company.

Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFraternalism, financially strong company, agents are active members of local communities, opportunity to make a real difference in people's lives with the financial products and advice we provide, ability to control scheduling and maintain work life balance, Good benefits... includes medical, rx, disability & dental insurance and retirement.

ConsHome office focuses on Management, especially at Regional level instead of sales reps, limited access to underwriters, no vision plan offered, low commissions, limited ongoing training for seasoned reps, limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave fewer regions and invest the money saved into sales force and managing partners who work recruit, train, and work with reps...examples: Fund admin positions in larger district offices to provide agent support, many of these are producing more than a lot of regions and increase agent commissions.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Managers are very nice.

ConsStrictly commission-based.
    Have to rely on family and cold-calls to get started.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to give some of your Reps a few of your clientele to get them started.

Endless opportunities but make no money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLong history...fraternal benefits...cares about the elderly

ConsStraight commission, never any fresh leads, cold calling, lack of leadership from managing partner and regional director. Upper management uses and abuses "young" talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the company structure and get some marketing. No one knows who Modern Woodmen is.

After one year with Modern Woodmen, I find it an outstanding company to work for.

Registered Representative (Current Employee) Pittsburg, CA

ProsThe focus of Modern Woodmen is to help its members. Other financial firms are many times only concerned with selling. The clear message in everything about Modern Woodmen from the top down is this. The more you help people (by working hard, being honest and treating everyone with dignity and respect) the more you will get in return. The fraternal side of MWA is a huge asset to both it's sales force and it's customers. If you're not familiar with the "fraternal" aspect of Modern Woodmen, do some research. I've found the right place to work.

ConsAs is the job of selling financial intangibles, you have to work hard and put in the hours. There is a lot to learn and you must do it on the run. As for cons, relative to any other financial service job or company, none come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is open to conversation and quick and willing to give help and advice. My only comment would be to keep it up. Their dedication to keeping MWA members (and me) happy is a wonderful thing.

Worked for Modern Woodmen? Contribute to the Community!