Modern Woodmen

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.7

W. Kenny Massey

Hands down the best company to work for ever.

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Very generous with their pay. Recognition is awesome. My father has worked here for 40 years and will tell you the same thing. One of the best companies in the world in my opinion.

Cons

Lots of hours but worth it. Nothing else much negative to say...

Some of the best people to work with in the industry. I have great leadership and myself am going through the pathway to leadership....very rewarding

It is a very personally rewarding job because you are helping others achieve their goals financially.

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

You get to start business relationships with new people and usually develop a close friendship with them after a little while. Furthermore, if you work harder than others you will literally get paid for it because there is absolutely no salary cap on how much money you can make

Cons

You have to deal with people in regard to their personal finances which can be a sensitive topic sometimes.

We must make sure all new agents have an intimate understanding with our products before letting them go out on their own.

Over the top!!!

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Great place to work. The culture and leadership are better than I expected and the oppportunity for advancment is excellent. Building a business is not easy but with the training and assistance from management it is easier. The trips are Great and free. Can't beat that. Going to Maui next month!!

Cons

It will take a while to grow your business. Long hard days the first few years. Sometimes the money is lean but the good times far outweigh the negative

The systems are great just make sure that all new reps follow them the first few years. More training in the securities area would help but not our priority

Awesome opportunity to help others.

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Great Fraternal Organization with benefits to help members prepare for financial security if they live, die, or quit working. Modern Woodmen provides both financial services and service opportunities for members.

Cons

Difficult to budget for a new agent as you learn to sell. Commissions from month to month can range between $0 to unlimited..

If there were anything I would do different, it would be to put more emphasis on building character of the agents and less on pushing for securities licensing. Also, promotions of family members should only be given on merit.

a place were self motivated people excel.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

set own schedule, great income potential, a lot of motivators provided by the company, great training and assistance from co-workers and management.

Cons

Long nights, hard to get time off, and missing out on family time very frequently. Looking forward to establishing my buisness so I can enjoy myself a but more. Starting out is difficult but rewarding.

Great Career

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Unlimited growth opportunity, great benefit package.

Cons

You need to be very good at time management.

The sky is the limit

Modern Woodmen of America: Touching lives. Securing Futures

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

The possibility for advancement are only limited by the amount of work that you are willing to put forth. If management is for you, than you have the best opportunity in the financial services industry to advance into management. The benefits package is amazing, there is an old-fashioned pension, which gives you an extra incentive to work hard.

Cons

If you are a person that is not good at time management, this job is not for you. Also if you are not good at keeping track of what you do, you could have problems. As you have no "boss" per-se, you need to keep careful watch of the time you use and don't use.

Keep being hands on, and make sure that you keep close watch on the reps that have been contracted for fewer than 6 months.

Great Company...Client Focused. Good career opportunity especially if you plan to work in the middle America market.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fraternal Company, Good Training for New Representatives, Very Good Corporate Citizen, Supports Representatives Giving Back to Community, Defined Benefit Plan Funded by Company, Excellent Medical & Dental Plans, 401K

Cons

Not as much support for seasoned representatives...more focused on newer reps, Relatively low commission rates compared to industry however benefits are good, Annual "Incentive" trip is basically a glorified sales meeting usually in a great location but the time is filled with meetings.

Recognize that established reps need support too, Reduce amount of time spent in meetings at annual conference or stop making reps qualify, Promoting as many Regional Directors as possible doesn't make sense...they aren't the ones producing. Reduce the number of management in the field and increase agent compensation/bonus.

Good company to work for, hard business to succeed in.

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quality values, they want you to succeed, and their fraternal benefits are a great selling point.

Cons

Their name recognition is substantially less than Edward Jones or any of the other big guys. There was very little training in the first three months.

Establish a training program within a month of hiring a new Financial Representative.

Modern Woodmen is a solid employer with good benefits and a strong training program

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the highest ratings for a financial services company.

Cons

Old workforce drives up the cost of health benefits.