Modern Woodmen Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Working for Modern Woodmen of America has been better than all the other insurance companies I have worked with.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Besides having great products to offer my clients, Modern Woodmen is a fraternal company which provides $30 million every year for us to use in our communities. This is great fir the communities, our members, and has the effect of great marketing for us.

Cons

There are some additional products I wish we had to sell.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field reps for new products to meet market demands.

The best job and most fulfilling experience I have ever had

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My favorite parts of working for Modern Woodmen are: 1. Working with people and helping others 2. Education: Modern Woodmen pays and encourages continuing education and training, monthly, quarterly and annually to enable the sky as the limit as far as your financial education and practices go. 3. Flexibility: I am an entrepreneur and business consultant. I run a start-up, consult other business owners and entrepreneurs and it all rolls into my practice with Modern Woodmen. I am able to run my start-up, help others with their business practices, while at the same time, assisting them as clients with growing, protecting and properly planning their personal, family and business goals.

Cons

The only two cons I have seen at Modern Woodmen is: 1. Not having a base salary. There is a $2,000 draw that you are eligible for, where you can receive $500 every Friday to keep you rolling. This is credited to your account and as you close sales, your commissions will repay the draw. 2.BDA (Business Development Allowance): Your first 2 years you are eligible for BDA Bonuses, but they are capped out at $2,000 per month. They are 50% of your commissions, so, for example, if you do $10,000 in sales in one month, you will receive $5,000 in commissions. The BDA will give you 50% of your commissions, in this case $2,500 would be your BDA for that month. Since the BDA caps at $2,000 per month, your $2,500 BDA this month will only pay $2,000, the other $500 will roll over to the following month. The following month, you will receive the $500 BDA. Now, if you continue to hit over the $2,000 BDA every month, then it will keep rolling over. This is a good problem to have, but on the con side, if you make $20,000 in one month, you will not receive all of your bonus credit that month. On the bright side, this can be used sort of as a "Paid vacation" where if you have BDA rolling over every month, you can take a month or two off and still receive your $2,000 BDA that have been rolling over every month.

Advice to Management

Set up a draw for new agents early on. Having access to capital will make agents more mobile and more confident. Since it takes a few months to settle into this new, amazing, career - having access to this capital without worry will lower stress and make the transition easy, showing higher results early on. I can not speak for all regions, but our region in Cary, NC has amazing company cultures. The company, as a whole, being Fraternal has amazing benefits and company culture. The Cary, NC, Doug Polk region has amazing management, company culture and open door policies that have allowed me to come in, get out of previous debt from a failed start-up and become the highest selling agent in the region, in just 3 months. In November, 2014, I received an award for the most business done in the nation. In August, 2014, when I entered, I was in debt $10,000 and had a rough start. They listened to me, put faith in me and gave me the resources and confidence I needed to now be the highest selling agent in the nation for the entire company, last month. This month, my numbers are even higher and we still have one week left. I hope to accomplish this award every month, but so far, I know I will have it at least 2 months in a row and that is greatly related to the training and values I have learned from our management team. This is my dream career and I will be doing this for the rest of my life, I know that because I love the job and the people. I know I will be happy here for a very long time and I trust my family and friends to be invested in this company, as well.

3. Rewarding experience; great company and culture.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in South Houston, TX

Pros

Independence, tremendous support from management and home office.

Cons

Lack of training on advanced products.

Advice to Management

More training and provide some sort of stipend for first year agents to assist with brand recognition.

Leadership and management provide great support and lead with integrity.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Norman, OK

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do what is best for the client/member instead of just trying to make a sale. A high value is placed on relationships with clients and giving to the community.

Cons

You only get out of it what you put into to it. But that's not a bad thing if you are willing to work for your success.

Advice to Management

Only hire candidates who are well suited to become a competent financial advisor.

6. great company

Pros

Had a great mentor within the company

Cons

Hard to find new clients

7. Love working with this company.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Stockbridge, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Stockbridge, GA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is well structured. The have great benefits as well as a health ,dental and retirement. They are a very honest and trustworthy company that has been around over 130 years now. My immediate supervisor the Regional Director is the best boss I have ever had. I would recommend this company to anyone that wants a Career instead of a job. I look forward to being at work everyday.

Cons

My job doesn't really have any cons.

Advice to Management

None

I love working here! Awesome company!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Rock Island, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Rock Island, IL

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*great benefits *minimum 9 paid holidays each year *generous sick leave *family oriented *competitive pay *tuition reimbursement for furthering education *37.5 hour workweeks with flextime (come in anytime between 7-9, leave 8 hours later with a half hour break for lunch) *promotes from within 99% of time *all jobs posted internally *average tenure is 15 years *generous vacation time after your first 90 days *generous bereavement

Cons

*strict business professional dress code *culture encourages people to use vacation time rather than sick time as "perfect attendance" (using no sick days) is awarded and recognized each year. for someone who is new to the company, its not always feasible to do this. *some could see as a con- I do not- every employee required to donate at least $1 a paycheck to "charity pledge plan" fund which then a committee decides where the funds are allocated. I think its a great cause! *employees who have been there for 20+ years can sometimes be stuck in their ways and resistant to change.

9. Great Career

Pros

Unlimited growth opportunity, great benefit package.

Cons

You need to be very good at time management.

Advice to Management

The sky is the limit

10. Awesome opportunity to help others.

Pros

Great Fraternal Organization with benefits to help members prepare for financial security if they live, die, or quit working. Modern Woodmen provides both financial services and service opportunities for members.

Cons

Difficult to budget for a new agent as you learn to sell. Commissions from month to month can range between $0 to unlimited..

Advice to Management

If there were anything I would do different, it would be to put more emphasis on building character of the agents and less on pushing for securities licensing. Also, promotions of family members should only be given on merit.

11. Over the top!!!

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

Pros

Great place to work. The culture and leadership are better than I expected and the oppportunity for advancment is excellent. Building a business is not easy but with the training and assistance from management it is easier. The trips are Great and free. Can't beat that. Going to Maui next month!!

Cons

It will take a while to grow your business. Long hard days the first few years. Sometimes the money is lean but the good times far outweigh the negative

Advice to Management

The systems are great just make sure that all new reps follow them the first few years. More training in the securities area would help but not our priority

RSS Feed </> Embed