Modern Woodmen

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014
3.6

W. Kenny Massey

Good place to provide real value to others in your community.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Rock Island, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Rock Island, IL

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent reputation in communities. Meaningful Fraternal benefits to members.

Cons

Not always competitive on premium rates and product selection.

Less focus on management and more focus on the sales force. Too many Regions that produce next to nothing for the company. Resources allocated to Regional Managers do not directly impact or benefit sales force. Reduce # of Regions and use those funds to support agents through better HO service, and admin assistance in Managing Partner's offices.

not for me, but for anybody looking into financial services there isnt a better company

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Modern Woodmen

Pros

no ceiling. Chance to really make a difference in people's lives, not just make money. Community service. Great and supportive work atmosphere.

Cons

No ceiling but also no floor since it is all commission based. Not a well known company and its not for profit so at the beginning there is a lot of cold calling.

Management is always there and can be relied upon. Management people also started right where everybody else did so they always know exactly what you are going through.

If you are attracted to this field of work there is no better place to build from then Modern Woodmen.

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

MWA is a Fraternal organization with terrific customer loyalty. They have a very solid training program. Their benefits are terrific, especially their health insurance program.

Cons

You are paid on by commission, which, for the self-motivated, is actually a plus. It is a big consideration for most folks and should not be taken lightly.

a wonderful experiance

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Freedom to set your own schedule and run your own business the way you wish. You are your own boss!

Cons

Compensation is not all that great but it's also a very hard position right now with the loss of jobs

Focus more on the financial planning for reps and less on insurance. Modern Woodmen is known as a life insurance company and not a financial services company.

Working for Modern Woodmen of America has been better than all the other insurance companies I have worked with.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Besides having great products to offer my clients, Modern Woodmen is a fraternal company which provides $30 million every year for us to use in our communities. This is great fir the communities, our members, and has the effect of great marketing for us.

Cons

There are some additional products I wish we had to sell.

Listen to the field reps for new products to meet market demands.

Great Place To Work!

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

Great pay and training! Managing Partners are terrific at what they do, and are always willing to help. It feels like a mom and pop shop.

Cons

All commission from the beginning. Maybe have a base plus commission for the first year. If you don't have a market, you won't succeed.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

After one year with Modern Woodmen, I find it an outstanding company to work for.

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The focus of Modern Woodmen is to help its members. Other financial firms are many times only concerned with selling. The clear message in everything about Modern Woodmen from the top down is this. The more you help people (by working hard, being honest and treating everyone with dignity and respect) the more you will get in return. The fraternal side of MWA is a huge asset to both it's sales force and it's customers. If you're not familiar with the "fraternal" aspect of Modern Woodmen, do some research. I've found the right place to work.

Cons

As is the job of selling financial intangibles, you have to work hard and put in the hours. There is a lot to learn and you must do it on the run. As for cons, relative to any other financial service job or company, none come to mind.

Management is open to conversation and quick and willing to give help and advice. My only comment would be to keep it up. Their dedication to keeping MWA members (and me) happy is a wonderful thing.

Financial representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get paid based on how hard you work. Benefits are out of this World. I have a pension and they pay for all of my health insurance. I get to give the companies money to the communty as a way to advertise myself. Unbeatable products.

Cons

You get paid for how hard you work. nowhere to hide. takes someone who really wants to be successful, not just do “ok”

Fraternal Benefits for members outstanding

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great support form everyone, the support we receive to give back to communities is awesome. Technology is up and coming, lap top with everything needed.....so much more

Cons

No financial support until you receive your license and become an active agent. Need several successful appointments to qualify for Financial support every month.

Once agent passes exam and finger printing Modern Woodmen should really give at least a couple grand to agents to help for at least first 6 months, and training should be done at home office as soon as we are licensed not months later. It would really make a huge difference.

Genuine people centered around genuine core values

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very rewarding. Amount of effort put in equals the amount of rewards you reap. No salary cap, great benefits, very caring colleagues. There is always someone willing to lend a hand to help. Genuine people that truly believe in the company's core values and principles. Work environment is very different, but positive and motivating, compared to traditional companies. Teaches you to be approachable, but also how to effectively communicate with others. Very flexible schedule; you set your own.

Cons

Hard when first starting to build your network and business. Initial out-of-pocket expenses may be higher. Business expense tax write-off only counts for the following year. Lots of travel is involved. Must set own appointments.

For managing-partners, stay supportive to your own representatives. For regional directors, stay supportive and offer words of encouragement to those who work under you. Always work as a team and share experiences to help each other.