Modern Woodmen

Employer Engaged

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid conservative well funnded company

Cons

Half the normal commissions with very poor lead assistance.

Unless you supply good very fresh leads, you should pay higher commissions or at least a base salary.

Fraternal Benefits for members outstanding

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great support form everyone, the support we receive to give back to communities is awesome. Technology is up and coming, lap top with everything needed.....so much more

Cons

No financial support until you receive your license and become an active agent. Need several successful appointments to qualify for Financial support every month.

Once agent passes exam and finger printing Modern Woodmen should really give at least a couple grand to agents to help for at least first 6 months, and training should be done at home office as soon as we are licensed not months later. It would really make a huge difference.

Good job to learn the business but hard

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training and support. The office where I was at has nothing to do with how the company as a whole is ran. I actually went to home office had a personal lunch with Kenny Massey, and he and the other home office staff were all great people.

Cons

You need to have a lot of money to back you, so when you have to spend it on advertising and tons of other expenses. Although I was a top producing Agent and in our monthly magazine, it was still a hard financial burden topped with a lie of family life balance.

Learn to help your new agents more, stop worrying about the people who kiss your ass to get on you good side, as they talk down about producing agents and try to back-stab them. I left due to this, and I busted my ass putting my family on the side and worked 80hr weeks and worked Saturday and Sunday. All the time. Good place to gain, but not to thrive from.

Genuine people centered around genuine core values

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding. Amount of effort put in equals the amount of rewards you reap. No salary cap, great benefits, very caring colleagues. There is always someone willing to lend a hand to help. Genuine people that truly believe in the company's core values and principles. Work environment is very different, but positive and motivating, compared to traditional companies. Teaches you to be approachable, but also how to effectively communicate with others. Very flexible schedule; you set your own.

Cons

Hard when first starting to build your network and business. Initial out-of-pocket expenses may be higher. Business expense tax write-off only counts for the following year. Lots of travel is involved. Must set own appointments.

For managing-partners, stay supportive to your own representatives. For regional directors, stay supportive and offer words of encouragement to those who work under you. Always work as a team and share experiences to help each other.

Good place to provide real value to others in your community.

Former Contractor - Financial Representative in Rock Island, IL
    Former Contractor - Financial Representative in Rock Island, IL

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent reputation in communities. Meaningful Fraternal benefits to members.

Cons

Not always competitive on premium rates and product selection.

Less focus on management and more focus on the sales force. Too many Regions that produce next to nothing for the company. Resources allocated to Regional Managers do not directly impact or benefit sales force. Reduce # of Regions and use those funds to support agents through better HO service, and admin assistance in Managing Partner's offices.

Opportunity of a life time

Current Employee - FIN in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - FIN in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Modern Woodmen rewards good, honest, intelligent effort. I was tired of working for organizations who took advantage of the value that I brought to their business. With Modern Woodmen, I have a great opportunity to better my community, help my clients, and be paid what I am worth. In addition, Modern Woodmen has given me all the tools and training that I need to run a successful business. Having been exposed to several advisors in other regions and the staff at the Home Office, Modern Woodmen is truly an organization that lives up to the high character I expect out of an employer.

Cons

Good, honest, intelligent effort is hard to identify. It is a fact that this career path is not for everyone. Within the first few months, our advisors are personally challenged. How one responds to that challenge says a lot about an individual. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to take that first step.

Who you attract is not determined by what you want, but determined by who you are. Continue to lead with integrity, character, and energy.

Best organization to work for

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great to build relationships with clients and co-workers. Success falls on one's own shoulders. No one can cap my income. Gave me the tools to succeed. Has great training program and benefits as compared to other companies in the area. That fact that MWA is a fraternal organization is awesome.

Cons

Hard to get started. You have to use own money for necessary business expenses. Takes awhile to be officially appointed with MWA.

Be quicker on new technology.

Great company for a retired person or a used car salesman.

Former Contractor - Financial Representative in Conway, AR
    Former Contractor - Financial Representative in Conway, AR

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You are rewarded for success.

Cons

The older experienced representatives farm young talent to grow the business and then cut them loose when they have gotten every dollar out of you.

Give new employees a stable work environment.

Great company to work for, but you must be an insurance salesman.

Former Contractor - Financial Representative
    Former Contractor - Financial Representative

I worked at Modern Woodmen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

--Great company values
    --Extra (fraternal) benefits
    --Gives back to the communities
    --Unlimited potential
    --Set your own schedule, be your own boss!

Cons

Even though Modern Woodmen is a great company with a long track record, it is insurance first, investments later. In other words, you may be able to take on the function of an advisor and sell securities, but the insurance will always come first (that's how benefits, contracting, etc are determined). If you're an insurance salesman, Modern Woodmen's insurance is pretty competitive. But if you want to be a little more "rounded" or want to focus on financial planning and/or advisory services, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Come up with a compensation/contract structure that allows financial planners/advisors to flourish a little more. You've got an awesome company, but the advisory/planning services aren't on par with brokerage/advisor firms.

not for me, but for anybody looking into financial services there isnt a better company

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Modern Woodmen

Pros

no ceiling. Chance to really make a difference in people's lives, not just make money. Community service. Great and supportive work atmosphere.

Cons

No ceiling but also no floor since it is all commission based. Not a well known company and its not for profit so at the beginning there is a lot of cold calling.

Management is always there and can be relied upon. Management people also started right where everybody else did so they always know exactly what you are going through.