Modern Woodmen

Employer Engaged

Financial representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get paid based on how hard you work. Benefits are out of this World. I have a pension and they pay for all of my health insurance. I get to give the companies money to the communty as a way to advertise myself. Unbeatable products.

Cons

You get paid for how hard you work. nowhere to hide. takes someone who really wants to be successful, not just do “ok”

Fraternal Benefits for members outstanding

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great support form everyone, the support we receive to give back to communities is awesome. Technology is up and coming, lap top with everything needed.....so much more

Cons

No financial support until you receive your license and become an active agent. Need several successful appointments to qualify for Financial support every month.

Once agent passes exam and finger printing Modern Woodmen should really give at least a couple grand to agents to help for at least first 6 months, and training should be done at home office as soon as we are licensed not months later. It would really make a huge difference.

Genuine people centered around genuine core values

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding. Amount of effort put in equals the amount of rewards you reap. No salary cap, great benefits, very caring colleagues. There is always someone willing to lend a hand to help. Genuine people that truly believe in the company's core values and principles. Work environment is very different, but positive and motivating, compared to traditional companies. Teaches you to be approachable, but also how to effectively communicate with others. Very flexible schedule; you set your own.

Cons

Hard when first starting to build your network and business. Initial out-of-pocket expenses may be higher. Business expense tax write-off only counts for the following year. Lots of travel is involved. Must set own appointments.

For managing-partners, stay supportive to your own representatives. For regional directors, stay supportive and offer words of encouragement to those who work under you. Always work as a team and share experiences to help each other.

Opportunity of a life time

Current Employee - FIN in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - FIN in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Modern Woodmen rewards good, honest, intelligent effort. I was tired of working for organizations who took advantage of the value that I brought to their business. With Modern Woodmen, I have a great opportunity to better my community, help my clients, and be paid what I am worth. In addition, Modern Woodmen has given me all the tools and training that I need to run a successful business. Having been exposed to several advisors in other regions and the staff at the Home Office, Modern Woodmen is truly an organization that lives up to the high character I expect out of an employer.

Cons

Good, honest, intelligent effort is hard to identify. It is a fact that this career path is not for everyone. Within the first few months, our advisors are personally challenged. How one responds to that challenge says a lot about an individual. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to take that first step.

Who you attract is not determined by what you want, but determined by who you are. Continue to lead with integrity, character, and energy.

Best organization to work for

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great to build relationships with clients and co-workers. Success falls on one's own shoulders. No one can cap my income. Gave me the tools to succeed. Has great training program and benefits as compared to other companies in the area. That fact that MWA is a fraternal organization is awesome.

Cons

Hard to get started. You have to use own money for necessary business expenses. Takes awhile to be officially appointed with MWA.

Be quicker on new technology.

Modern Woodmen is a great place to work

Current Employee - District Agent
    Current Employee - District Agent

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

For the home office staff I am sure it is a great place to work with lots of job security. The field staff has its challenges which is always true for life insurance sales. But MWA has some of the best prospecting tools available if you learn how to use them. This market is under going tremendous change with many younger customers buying online. The overall customer satisfaction with MWA is very high! While MWA is very conservation they have recently approved and supported using social media sites for marketing, a bold move for them. They had their best year for new business ever in 2010, so they must be doing something right!

Cons

The strong reliance on referral based client growth only could be improved with advocating and supporting more modern prospecting techniques.

Keep the communications open with the next generation of agents and managing agents in order to keep up with the accelerating marketing chances in the industry. Consider online marketing and direct purchases, the "people when you want them, technology when you don't" approach tied to a strong field staff sales support.

Pick your own hours, but translates to picking your own salary

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hastings, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hastings, MN

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

-you decide when your hours are
    -unlimited income opportunities
    -good support staff

Cons

-training was subpar, had to learn how to do things on your own

offer more training to interns, they will end up being the future of your company

Hands down the best company to work for ever.

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Very generous with their pay. Recognition is awesome. My father has worked here for 40 years and will tell you the same thing. One of the best companies in the world in my opinion.

Cons

Lots of hours but worth it. Nothing else much negative to say...

Some of the best people to work with in the industry. I have great leadership and myself am going through the pathway to leadership....very rewarding

It is a very personally rewarding job because you are helping others achieve their goals financially.

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

You get to start business relationships with new people and usually develop a close friendship with them after a little while. Furthermore, if you work harder than others you will literally get paid for it because there is absolutely no salary cap on how much money you can make

Cons

You have to deal with people in regard to their personal finances which can be a sensitive topic sometimes.

We must make sure all new agents have an intimate understanding with our products before letting them go out on their own.

Over the top!!!

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Great place to work. The culture and leadership are better than I expected and the oppportunity for advancment is excellent. Building a business is not easy but with the training and assistance from management it is easier. The trips are Great and free. Can't beat that. Going to Maui next month!!

Cons

It will take a while to grow your business. Long hard days the first few years. Sometimes the money is lean but the good times far outweigh the negative

The systems are great just make sure that all new reps follow them the first few years. More training in the securities area would help but not our priority