Moderna Therapeutics

After Reading Last Two Reviews, I decided to write

Former Employee - Director of Chemistry  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director of Chemistry in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

After reading the last two reviews, I decided to write. I am highly skeptical of the last two current reviews, where current two employee praised the management and the company. The two review praise is contradictory to what others have written. I joined Moderna at it infancy when it was a 4 employees company and operating from a two room office-cum-laboratories. I was the first Director of Chemistry. I helped Moderna setup their chemistry department, negotiate to acquire lab assets from my previous employer. Hire staff and filed first two Chemistry Patents applications. Honestly speaking, I had never experienced such an abusive, manipulative and arrogant CEO and the-then-CSO at any company in my entire life. The behavior from management was to blame every thing on others. Change projects on a fly, then fire some associates for failure if results to their like were not produced over night. Random firing of associates was a common practice. I am speaking facts here. I am not sure Glassdoor will publish it.

Cons

I had none for this company.

Replace the management. However, I do have advice to candidates who are looking for job. If you want to experience frustration, and affect your career for getting fired for reasons you will never figure out, then do apply, otherwise please....

No hope for Moderna

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch, nice location, nice benefits

Cons

There are no good upper level scientists. Small company but everything is not transparent (scientifically), no company meeting to show any scientific data, maybe nobody knows what they are doing or there is no good data to show?!. Moderna is just a business firm, not a Biotech company.Hope something can come out from $500 million dollars.

Please hire some smart and intelligent scientists

Is Moderna the next Genetech?

Current Employee - Manager  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful access to Kendall Square and a great place to meet up with friends from MIT or who work for companies that are actually commercializing products for alfresco lunches. Senior management is generously compensated and tends to have a taste for the finer French things in life.

Cons

Moderna is not the next Genetech, but their checks don't bounce if you get my drift. Moderna is more like a poor man's Sirtris Pharmaceuticals. Their science is indeed mysterious...ie dark arts.

Instead of diverting resources on expensive public relations campaigns, focus on supporting your scientists and staff so the company may someday move forward. Be upfront with new employees about the company's past and where we are headed now. Engage with former employees who left the company (for various reasons) who might still have much to offer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not sure who wrote these negative reviews. I've had nothing but great experiences.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The thing about Moderna is you have to be exceptional at your job. Plain and simple. The ethos of the company is to hire only the best, and it shows. The people from CEO, to finance, to scientists, to facility management are all fantastic, and they expect you to be fantastic, too. If you're not, you'll feel the pressure to excel. This is handled either by meeting the expectations of the organization or leaving. Welcome to biotech in the 2010's, things are competitive.

Cons

All the usual things you'd find at a company experiencing hyper growth. Since things move so fast, sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture. It's a lot like building an airplane mid-flight.

Mis-steps by upper management should be admitted to the company by email and include an explanation of why the wrong decision was made. Accountability must scale, or faith in the top will crumble.

Exciting technology, great potential, awesome team of scientists and leaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are excellent. More holidays, lower health insurance premiums and better salary than the large pharma benefits at my last position. The perks of free lunch, iPad, free parking, completely paid cell phone bill, free catered lunch are all nice too. Moderna has done a great job at hiring really smart and dynamic people who I enjoy interacting with.

Cons

It's right in Kendall Square which can make for a challenging commute. This is not a place to come and do the minimum to get by. You need to work hard and be prepared to put a few extra hours in but it's not a sweat shop. The management team seem like good people who are all invested in getting this technology to the clinic and helping patients. It is a fast-paced company with many moving pieces. You need "comfort with ambiguity". Sometimes there is too much focus on speed instead of slowing down and fully understanding issues that arise.

Communicate more. Err on the side of good science instead of speed.

Soul-destroying sweat shop where employees are disposable assets

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Good benefits, health plan, 401k etc.

Cons

Stressful, toxic atmosphere that brings out the worst in everyone. Goddamn awful management team whose plans change daily, who talk all the time about the Moderna "family" in our employee meetings but then fire people on a whim (the rate of employee turnover here has to be seen to be believed). No rational vision for the company beyond maybe convincing somebody who believes all the media hype to buy it so that management can bail with fat checks in their hands.

Employees need to be respected and valued for their contributions. You can't build a successful company on the backs of indentured servants. If you put half as much thought and energy into the actual science that goes on in the lab as you do into business deals and exit strategies you might eventually have something real to sell people that isn't just self-aggrandizing hype.

Most stress I've ever experienced; terrible management with no clear direction.

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Exciting mission, excellent people in the trenches, great perks (lunch, paid parking, decent benefits -- 2% 401(k) match, PPO reimbursement, etc).

Cons

Priorities change with the wind. No clear vision of getting something successful out the door.
    High rate of forced turnover for a variety of reasons.
    Terrible work-life balance -- the expectations are very high and it's not uncommon or irregular to see techs in the lab past midnight, days in a row.

Employees need better visibility on the direction of the company and they need better.
    More thoughtful planning is needed. Given the high-pace it's far too tempting to change priorities in a second...those changes have serious consequences and leads to a great deal of waste and anxiety.

Worst work experience

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don't have any pros, maybe free lunch

Cons

Bad science, poorly developed methods, blaming technicians for bad results, performance evaluations are laughable. Overall bad environment to work in

Be prepared to be exploited, abused, and ultimately amused.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful coworkers- unfortunately we did not get much time to forge relationships. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Where to begin? Overtly hostile upper management, exploitative labor practices, inane personality conflicts obliterating professionalism, absurd secrecy bordering on paranoia.

Management has an agenda mapped out quite well and it is fairly transparent- if you're paying attention. Like all startup environments, their ultimate aim is to be purchased by a larger company, thus allowing upper management to effectively line their pockets and ride off into the sunset. They're more than willing to do this on the backs of the research associates and scientists that have built the company.

Moderna takes advantage of all employees below the executive level- overworked and grossly underpaid, they feel as though they can get away with this type of behavior because of rival companies recently closing their doors. When the bubble bursts, the executives will have handsome rewards while the little guys will be have a place firmly set in the unemployment line. This mentality is not serving them; however. Within the last six months, both the CSO and the VP of Manufacturing quit on short notice. Moderna tried to spin it as a shortcoming of those employees; however, both of which worked consistently 100 hours a week only to be on the receiving end of the CEO's wrath and arrogance. I do wish I could give specific instances regarding the CEO; however, that would be telling of my identity- just take it that most of the things that come out of his mouth are positively flabbergasting and without a doubt abusive. He is unjustly paranoid and prone to wild attacks creating an atmosphere of deceit and hostility. He will pit employees against each other, overtly lie, and then find an ideal scapegoat among the lower employees and hang them out to dry. He is a master of creating a very toxic environment and I genuinely pity the people who are still employed there.

Should you decide that you want to work here, just know what you're getting yourself into. 60 hours a week in the lab is a vacation, that alone, wouldn't be bad. The sophomoric and soap opera-esque drama that unfolds on a daily basis does; however, have a proclivity for making an 80 hour work week feel like eternity.

unbelievably arrogant management, poor execution on a potential powerful technology

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics

Pros

cambridge is nice but expensive

Cons

-upper management treats scientists very poorly
    -no recognition or reward for hard work and successes
    -questionable experimental practices

potentially powerful technology, but that's not enough. treat employees as peers or you're be embarrassed that you botched the biggest story in biotech for the last few decades with incompetent management and toxic culture.

Worked for Moderna Therapeutics? Contribute to the Community!