Modesto Junior College

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

MJC Tutor

ProsProvided flexible hours and great environment for students.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Student Tutor

Student Tutor (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

Prosplenty of support by professors and staff; good work experience; staff will help you to maximize your number of hours and effort;

Consminimum wage; walk-in basis to see students can leave you waiting for students and unpaid afterwards; not as many resources for some subjects

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay student tutors more and offer more services for them. It is true that times have been tough for MJC, but all the beautiful new campus buildings will be meaningless if we do not continue to make the absolute best for current AND future students.

Accreditation at risk as morale declines during budget cuts

Classified Administration (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsThe campus is home to a diverse group of students with a variety of backgrounds and life experiences. Core staff and faculty are dedicated and provide small class sizes and individual attention for students who may not be ready to move on to larger university settings. The campus provides the opportunity for students to explore different career paths at very low cost/low risk.

ConsOngoing transitions with leadership and struggles with campus governance have led to accreditation problems that have continued over multiple years and multiple administrations. Decision making is fragmented and there is limited transparancy in the decision making process related to either staffing or budgetary decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey students, staff and faculty on an ongoing basis to better identify core areas of concern. Embrace accountability through campus-wide communications that outline progress on goals and set up internal audit processes that monitor governance and decision making key to accreditation requirements.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to work and attend school, but heavily lacking leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClose knit community - very supportive.

ConsLack of leadership and vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice? Spend a week in the position of the people you manage. That might help gain empathy and understanding.

It is a great work environment that easily balances classes and work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsDepending on your department, there is a wonderful work environment. Management is very flexible so long as you get your work done satisfactorily. Training is available on request and there is a good deal of team spirit and camaraderie.

ConsThere are some issues about communication in the office that can lead to missed deadlines and rushed work, but so long as you get your work done and try to keep updated on new projects, it isn't too bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication! Everyone on the team needs to know what is expected of them whenever new projects come up. If we know what we need to do then we can get it done in time.

Great place it work (if you can get in)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

Pros100% free healthcare for entire family
    excellent pay for the area
    if you have seniority, you can bump out someone else if you lose your position
    very hard to get fired after your probation period.

Consvery hard to get in.. most of the time internal employees get the position. because it is run by state funds, if you are a new employee, you can get bumped out of your job if downsizing occurs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really don't have any feedback or advice to leadership at Modesto Junior College

Before taking a job here do your research. Look at the management turnover, complaints, etc

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the most diverse campus lives you will come across. Great students! City is centrally located! Most all of the faculty that have managed to stay are wonderful and passionate. However, many of the best have left.

ConsThe college is a two-campus college with each being 7 miles apart - which can be a problem for students and staff. Staff are great and faculty are wonderful but managers and admin are the issue at this college --- some are managers are nice.....but I say give them time. They may be new.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis management does not take advice ..funny

Worked for Modesto Junior College? Contribute to the Community!