Modesto Junior College

CEO

mixed feeling

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Modesto Junior College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice boss, great environment to work while in school

Cons

sometimes the job can get overwhelming

Absolutely nothing to complain about

Current Employee - Art Model in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Art Model in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Modesto Junior College as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have had two supervisors (in the art department) who are both very kind and fair people. All the paper work that needed to be done was provided to me and processed in a timely manner. I was paid fairly and on time, and shown a great deal of respect as an employee.

Cons

I did not have any negative experiences while working for Modesto Junior College.

MJC Tutor

I have been working at Modesto Junior College

Pros

Provided flexible hours and great environment for students.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Student Tutor

Former Employee - Student Tutor in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Student Tutor in Modesto, CA

I worked at Modesto Junior College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

plenty of support by professors and staff; good work experience; staff will help you to maximize your number of hours and effort;

Cons

minimum wage; walk-in basis to see students can leave you waiting for students and unpaid afterwards; not as many resources for some subjects

Please pay student tutors more and offer more services for them. It is true that times have been tough for MJC, but all the beautiful new campus buildings will be meaningless if we do not continue to make the absolute best for current AND future students.

Accreditation at risk as morale declines during budget cuts

Former Employee - Classified Administration in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Classified Administration in Modesto, CA

I worked at Modesto Junior College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The campus is home to a diverse group of students with a variety of backgrounds and life experiences. Core staff and faculty are dedicated and provide small class sizes and individual attention for students who may not be ready to move on to larger university settings. The campus provides the opportunity for students to explore different career paths at very low cost/low risk.

Cons

Ongoing transitions with leadership and struggles with campus governance have led to accreditation problems that have continued over multiple years and multiple administrations. Decision making is fragmented and there is limited transparancy in the decision making process related to either staffing or budgetary decisions.

Survey students, staff and faculty on an ongoing basis to better identify core areas of concern. Embrace accountability through campus-wide communications that outline progress on goals and set up internal audit processes that monitor governance and decision making key to accreditation requirements.

Decent place to work and attend school, but heavily lacking leadership

I worked at Modesto Junior College full-time

Pros

Close knit community - very supportive.

Cons

Lack of leadership and vision.

Advice? Spend a week in the position of the people you manage. That might help gain empathy and understanding.

It is a great work environment that easily balances classes and work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Modesto Junior College

Pros

Depending on your department, there is a wonderful work environment. Management is very flexible so long as you get your work done satisfactorily. Training is available on request and there is a good deal of team spirit and camaraderie.

Cons

There are some issues about communication in the office that can lead to missed deadlines and rushed work, but so long as you get your work done and try to keep updated on new projects, it isn't too bad.

Improve communication! Everyone on the team needs to know what is expected of them whenever new projects come up. If we know what we need to do then we can get it done in time.

Great place it work (if you can get in)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I worked at Modesto Junior College

Pros

100% free healthcare for entire family
    excellent pay for the area
    if you have seniority, you can bump out someone else if you lose your position
    very hard to get fired after your probation period.

Cons

very hard to get in.. most of the time internal employees get the position. because it is run by state funds, if you are a new employee, you can get bumped out of your job if downsizing occurs.

I really don't have any feedback or advice to leadership at Modesto Junior College

Before taking a job here do your research. Look at the management turnover, complaints, etc

I worked at Modesto Junior College

Pros

One of the most diverse campus lives you will come across. Great students! City is centrally located! Most all of the faculty that have managed to stay are wonderful and passionate. However, many of the best have left.

Cons

The college is a two-campus college with each being 7 miles apart - which can be a problem for students and staff. Staff are great and faculty are wonderful but managers and admin are the issue at this college --- some are managers are nice.....but I say give them time. They may be new.

This management does not take advice ..funny