Modular Mining Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

Luiz Steinberg

Good place to work.

ProsYou really feel like you're on a team here. There are many really good challenges and many of them you can simply pick up and run with.

ConsThere is a lack of documentation on the products and very little training for new hires. You have to be a self starter for this job because if you aren't no one is going to hand you what you need to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the documentation and training for the whole company.

Great global environment, opportunity to travel and contribute to exciting global projects

Manager (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsModular is filled with very capable engineers from around the world that are developing cutting-edge systems for the global mining industry. Their corporate headquarters in Tucson, Arizona is a melting pot of languages and cultures - very exceptional for southern Arizona. Pay and benefits are competitive. Most managers foster a supportive and collaborative work environment. Work-life balance is supported with flexible schedules and a generous paid time off program. Most employees site "the people" as the top reason they like working at Modular, followed by the exciting technology. Around the world, Modular offices promote a relaxed and open work atmosphere. Employees who travel to other offices are generally given plenty of support from management to make the travel as comfortable and painless as possible, as opposed to being very stingy at some other companies. This is very important because many employees spend a lot of time on the road in some very exotic locales. Every day at Modular offers something new - I was never bored, and I had a lot of fun. Overall, Modular is a great place to work, no matter what office you work at. I highly recommend it to anyone up for a challenge.

ConsModular is in an increasingly competitive market, so depending on your role, you may be under significant pressure to deliver on critical projects - many employees thrive in that kind of environment, but it's not for everyone. Technology in mining is advancing quickly, so like most high-tech companies, change at Modular is constant. Employees who are successful at Modular enjoy adapting to changes. One challenge for Modular (as well as many other high-tech companies) is that because their products are extremely technically complex, most employees lean more towards technical aptitude as opposed to people skills. Many technically skilled employees find their way into management jobs and struggle to connect with their people on a human level. To counter this, Modular invests heavily in training managers to handle people properly, and they try to recruit new employees with a mix of people skills and technical aptitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest improving access to information required to perform on-the-job. The technology and business is complicated, and while work in this area is definitely underway, information and communication delivery mechanisms have not yet been fully optimized. This is a huge challenge and opportunity that requires significant investment to be addressed correctly.

Need Improvement

Software Engineer Level II (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsModular is the industry leader in fleet management technology in mining. Mining industry is still booming. This is a good time to join the company where the jobs are relatively stable. The company uses the latest technologies and some projects are very challenging. The salary is above the average and is relatively fair.

ConsThere are not many innovations recently. The company’s culture does not encourage software engineers to think and contribute creatively.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to select the leaders who are not only can write code fast but can also make solid technical decisions to reduce the risks of redoing the work again and again.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredibly poorly run project, constantly late, constantly changing directions

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsThere appears to be very little guidance on the direction of some projects
    The management, up to mid management, show a lack of professionalism and a tendency to play favorites
    The actual physical facilities are very rundown. It is noisy, and generally chaotic
    I worked on only one project, and can really only speak to that - other projects may be run better.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop some sense of where certain projects are, what they need to be delivering, and whether they are capable of delivering it

Great Product - Terrible Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsProducts, Pay, and flexibility with time off.

ConsManagement processes, Customer Care, Management at every level.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more Americans. Create processes to meet customer needs such as ITILv3. Create better project management of future products. Make manager accountable and 360 degree reviews to get a clear picture of the whole company management and why the underperforming sections are the way they are. Hire more Americans. Cannnot communicate well with workers whom do not learn the language of the country they are working in.

Sometimes frenetic; always interesting!

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDiversity, Growth, Decent pay, Fantastic people, Great Corporate Culture

ConsCompany growth some what chaotic - structure is a little bit in flux.

Great company, pay stinks!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsGreat team, great work load, awesome work environment

ConsPay sucks, like 15k lower than industry!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better pay

A good company to work.

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais (Brazil)

ProsPossibilities for learning in an interesting sector.

ConsEarnings below expectations, lack of a plan for jobs and wages.

So far so good

Mining Engineer (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros-very good work life balance
    -travel

Cons-sometimes it's slow
    -few interactions outside of department

Good Company with bad people

ProsFlexible (all depends on your manager)

ConsIt's all in the hands of your manager/supervisor

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher management need to get more involved with employees & not depend only on manager's/ supervisor's opinion.

Worked for Modular Mining Systems? Contribute to the Community!