ModusLink

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
2.6

Joe Lawler

Gained useful experience in warehouse (shipping/receiving) setting.

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Bloomington, IN

I worked at ModusLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was exposed to fundamentals in warehouse/shipping/receiving functions that I can translate to more jobs. Gained experience using a variety of computer applications, but I'm sure this depends on the location and client requirements it serves.

Cons

Being seen as a number or statistic only and individual contribution being recognized. Wage freezes meant no pay raises for 3+ years. Not very competitive pay overall- people in temp staffing agency were making almost as much as me within 6 months while I was a full-time permanent employee for 7 years.

For upper-level management (i.e. Director of Ops and beyond): recognize an individual's or department's contributions and reward accordingly.

Company built from acquisitions... Lost years

Current Employee - Business Manager
    Current Employee - Business Manager

I have been working at ModusLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provided an opportunity to learn and grow professionally. The company has many smart people who are dedicated to the clients.

Cons

People are not recognized for their efforts and commitment, highly political at the senior manager levels. Little focus and direction from executives.

Settle down and focus.

Good place to get Operations and Lean Six Sigma Experience

I worked at ModusLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Open to changes
    - Encourages trying new things
    - Comprehensive Lean Sigma training program
    - Opportunity to touch all departments - business, manufacturing, inventory, shipments, etc

Cons

- Relative low pay compared to competitors
    - Hardly do sponsorship for non US citizens or permanent-residents

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at ModusLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Took very good care of the employees. As a manager, I was asked to manage my department with little micro management. Reported results and held accountable to the results. Was given many opportunities to learn different things and grow with the company. Was there for 14 years.

Cons

I always had the impression that corporate management did not c are about the employees.

Make changes at the top, which has been done.

Loved the Managers at Spanish Fork

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT

I worked at ModusLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Managers at ModusLink in Spanish Fork were great. You are expected to work but were treated fairly.

Cons

The "company" does not care about the employees as much as the do about how much profit is being made.

The Leadership in Spanish Fork was awesome. If the same people running Spanish Fork was running the business it would be a great company.

A lot of people doing what they can

I have been working at ModusLink

Pros

Employees are very dedicated and client focused.
    There are some very intelligent people in key positions that are helping drive the company.
    The company has a way of consuming your life if you let it, but if you can figure that out - there is a lot of flexibility in terms of scheduling and working from home.

Cons

Moral is obviously challenged by repeated layoffs
    The company is geographically dispersed. That makes internal communication difficult outside of MA. There is a feeling of "What is HQ up to now?" at the various sites.

I think senior management has a vision and is working towards that, but document it and let the rest of us know. For example, what does this company look like in 3 months, 6 months and 3 years from now. What specific actions do you need from the rest of this company to support these goals?

Absolutely no investment in employees- everyone is an expendable meatshield

Former Employee - Customer Support Agent in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Support Agent in Orem, UT

I worked at ModusLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely easy to get a job on a short notice if you need some extra income in time of need. Virtually no interview process. If you are a body, you are in.

Cons

The pros above mentioned prove to be the biggest cons. With no investment in quality employee selection, many employees tend to be deadbeats who shirk work as much as possible and as a result, attitude towards employees is that they are expendable resources with little to no value. Terrible pay. Absolutely no flexibility as far as balancing work and personal life. Management is super shady and dishonest, and it is a common occurrence for them to throw the few quality employees they manage to snag under the bus hardcore. No job security. In my time there, I never met a single person who said they enjoy their job. It's set up so that this job, at best, should be a temporary placeholder while you find another job in times of emergency.

Actually interview and seek after quality employees. Offer better pay for better employees. It's more expensive to consistently hire new, low quality, employees than to seek for quality employees that will last a while.

If you promise something to a higher up employee, stick to your word and don't throw them under the bus. Learn to distinguish quality employees from those that shouldn't be there and put more effort into not lumping them into one lump group of worthless employees with the rest.

Productive

I worked at ModusLink full-time

Pros

I had advancement within the company

Cons

There has been several lay offs.

bonus for outstanding employees

Great People trying their best to navigate Class V rapids with a dysfunctional team at the helm

I worked at ModusLink full-time

Pros

People at the sites are great to work with. They are hard working and dedicated to doing the best job possible with the tools in hand. Most will go above and beyond to help out others when they can. The "hands on managers" are there to support you and help out anyway they can. Ability and opportunity to evaluate and change how you execute your tasks is encouraged as part of the internal process improvement policy. Eclectic mix of people keep it lively. Latest corporate management is doing what they said they would do: batten down the hatches and get the company delivering.
    You will learn. You will be amazed how much you will ingest and retain. Hands on experience with complete product cycle from sourcing to building to distribution. This will be your starter position job that gets you into the field.

Cons

Expectation is that you will work and be available long after you have gone home for the day or for the weekend. The project you are working on will experience mission creep. So much creep that you will wonder what the end product has to do with the initial material you started working on. If you work with a non-hands on manager you can expect no clear direction and a round of chastising when you did not know what was expected. Promises made to clients will be made and the teams may have no idea on how to meet the expectation. Sales force? For the last few years it seemed like we were always receiving a new email introducing a new sales VP and how this was the one who was going to yadda yadda yadda..... Training? Learn by doing. Advancement is based upon the who is friends with who. Your mind will do extra spin cycles trying to sort out how some people keep their jobs or even got put in the position they occupy.

Seems like ModusLink spends its time providing experience and learning to employees who then take their skills to another company where they are monetarily rewarded. Provide some kind of anonymous feedback tool so that mid-level managers that are not part of the solution can be coached or weeded out. Be aware that when teams are cut to the bone by downsizing that we are all aware that the upper management ranks are swelling and that makes it a hard pill to swallow when we are told downsizing is required due to cash flow.

Unstable company

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at ModusLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Company fluctuates, too much uncertainty and restructuring. Company has downsized significantly in the last couple of years. Upper management does not value their employees.

Provide employees with incentives, make them feel that they are appreciated and that they add value to the company. Also, need to evaluate compensation structure.