Moffatt & Nichol Reviews

Reset
2.1
Eric Nichol

1. Good company

Pros

Good work environment, friendly colleague

Cons

Will finish in future, generally is a good company

You be the judge

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Lunch Time & off the clock

Cons

If I could select a ZERO Star rating I would. So I will virtually put it out there. Visualize a Zero Star Rating. 1. Unethical Behavior from Management. 2. Mafia Style bulling/harassment. 3. Creating stories of he said she said gossip to keep employees guessing and in place and under control. 4. Supervisors are just gatekeepers. 5. Controller busy checking for split ends and smelling hair and hides behind closed doors. Not sure exactly what she does. 6. Management in Place looks scrambled and confused just protecting each other from their screw-ups. 7. CFO only worried about herself and how she will benefit not the employees.

Advice to Management

Open your Eyes - Board of Directors - HR - The Management/Supervisors you put in place are the kid of people that cause Companies Lawsuits.

3. great workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol (More than 3 years)

Pros

work- family balance is great

Cons

civil engineering firm. different terminology

Who is steering this boat?..... No one!

Pros

Benefits - even with the implementation of a high deductible health plan. Co-workers or should I say the ones that are left Multiple locations Great projects

Cons

Too many bosses not enough workers. Management tends to disregard suggestions from employees. No company loyalty towards it's employees. I have seen people with 10+ years with the company being fired for no reason or a lame reason.

Advice to Management

I'm advice is: If you are going to clean house start from the top!! In the last two years I have seen multiple talented individuals fired for no reason. Perfect example is the finance team. The current CFO has FIRED 2/3 of her staff. This has created a nightmare for billing and paying vendors. Our subs consultants keeping calling saying they are not getting paid. Our clients keep wondering why they are not getting invoices. The current president has no clue what he is doing and he keeps listening to the wrong individuals. The board is aware of all the problems but doesn't do anything about it.

The plan is no plan

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Good benefits; competitive pay; ability to work with national and international offices.

Cons

Senior management's lack of decisiveness paralyzes progress; no defined career path for employees; bad behavior rewarded; high turnover

Advice to Management

Need to develop longer term strategies and clear paths to execution. You cannot have conflicting office/practice goals. Management needs to treat its staff as experts and embrace change.

20+ Years Behind the Times

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Lots of offices around the country.

Cons

Poor benefits, few holidays compared to similar A/E firms. Executive management operates behind a cloak of secrecy. Lots of lay offs the past few years. The company invested heavily in foreign (non-US) operations and has lost a lot of money doing so. Long time employees are laid off with little warning. Unfortunately, many of the company leaders are simply incompetent to run a firm the size of Moffatt & Nichol.

Advice to Management

The COO should have been re-assigned to other duties years ago. He is much better suited to technical work and not leadership or management. The fact the Board has not figured this out is alarming. The company leadership needs to acquire modern core values, and communication and leadership skills. The company's poor communication and secrecy is an inside "joke" amongst employees - something that is really not very funny.

No incentive

Pros

First impression is that the company provides its employees with good resources. The company is stable Maybe working as an engineer or outside of Long Beach is better than working in corporate.

Cons

The environment that the executives established is not very positive. If you value your career, apply it somewhere else. Somewhere where it will be appreciated.

Advice to Management

Take sensitivity training. Those who sit in the shoe box cubes are human beings. Seriously, what have you done lately that lets them know that? Saying, "You are lucky to have a job" doesn't count.

Very Little Opportunities to Grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, smart people, great history, well respected firm, family friendly, overall good working office environment.

Cons

Flat organization means little growth opportunities. Managers don't seem to mentor or encourage, very little promotions from within. Not exactly competitive in terms of salary compensation and company culture needs a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees who work hard and reward them. Turnover isn't worth it, invest in the people you have on board and the payback will be tenfold. If you stop caring now, the good ones will all be gone soon. Take time to listen and pay close attention to your employees who are hard workers.

RUN!

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are truly some great people I had the pleasure of working with and I have made some life-long friends; engineers are passionate about what they do; fairly laid-back environment.

Cons

Where to begin? This company needs an executive overhaul, starting with the top. M&N needs a true leader - one that isn't embarrassed to speak in groups, who isn't easily influenced, and who knows how to run a company (besides into the ground). This organization is very top heavy - a lot of chiefs and no Indians! The drama, backstabbing, and gossiping remind me of middle school and it all centers around the leaders. The employee morale is so low that the corporate office is a revolving door. Even with 100% turnover in certain departments the execs think everything is fine. Anyone who leaves is a bad egg and their mentality is "don't let the door hit you on the way out". I've watched excellent employees leave and it's just sad. If you want to work for a company that treats you like an insect, talks bad about you behind your back, participates in immoral practices, doesn't make any effort to encourage a positive, fun company culture, than this is the place for you. But make sure that you have no backbone or opinion because you won't need one here.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Treat your employees with respect. Listen to what they have to say.

Almost Gone

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting work here. They really do hire the best of the best. Our clients hire us to solve really interesting and challenging problems. They don't have the profit center issues I have experienced other places so you can work for any office in the world which means it can be a very exciting place to work. Great IT team. Always get paid on time. HR is responsive and my benefits are pretty good.

Cons

They talk about how much they care about employees, about being a family environment, about having fun, being a flat organization, and about transperancy. If I work for a good manager then I have someone who cares about me but the company doesn't do anything that makes me believe they care - not at the top. As for family environment, that has been gone for many years now and now we are just numbers that produce revenue. Flat organization my you know what. Being transparent means we can speak honestly with each other and that just cannot be done with those at the top. There are so many hoops to jump through and so many rules that they just seem to have forgotten why we are here, to provide professional services to clients, not to be accountants for the every growing accounting department. Politics exist in every company but here it's a matter of whether the President likes you or your boss, and that can change without warning or visible reason. Heaven help you if you get on the CFO's bad list.

Advice to Management

You can be a profitable company that does good work, and you can create a place where people are excited to come to solve problems. You have to do something about your leadership, the President and CFO need to remember why the company is here and who keeps the clients coming back - IT'S NOT THEM. To your Board of Directors - people cannot speak up because Eric won't listen. Even if he would they would be branded as someone who should be replaced. If you put good leadership in place the profits will come.

RSS Feed </> Embed