Moffatt & Nichol Reviews

Eric Nichol

1. great workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol (More than 3 years)

Pros

work- family balance is great

Cons

civil engineering firm. different terminology

The plan is no plan

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Good benefits; competitive pay; ability to work with national and international offices.

Cons

Senior management's lack of decisiveness paralyzes progress; no defined career path for employees; bad behavior rewarded; high turnover

Advice to Management

Need to develop longer term strategies and clear paths to execution. You cannot have conflicting office/practice goals. Management needs to treat its staff as experts and embrace change.

20+ Years Behind the Times

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Lots of offices around the country.

Cons

Poor benefits, few holidays compared to similar A/E firms. Executive management operates behind a cloak of secrecy. Lots of lay offs the past few years. The company invested heavily in foreign (non-US) operations and has lost a lot of money doing so. Long time employees are laid off with little warning. Unfortunately, many of the company leaders are simply incompetent to run a firm the size of Moffatt & Nichol.

Advice to Management

The COO should have been re-assigned to other duties years ago. He is much better suited to technical work and not leadership or management. The fact the Board has not figured this out is alarming. The company leadership needs to acquire modern core values, and communication and leadership skills. The company's poor communication and secrecy is an inside "joke" amongst employees - something that is really not very funny.

No incentive

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol

Pros

First impression is that the company provides its employees with good resources.
    The company is stable
    Maybe working as an engineer or outside of Long Beach is better than working in corporate.

Cons

The environment that the executives established is not very positive. If you value your career, apply it somewhere else. Somewhere where it will be appreciated.

Advice to Management

Take sensitivity training. Those who sit in the shoe box cubes are human beings. Seriously, what have you done lately that lets them know that? Saying, "You are lucky to have a job" doesn't count.

Very Little Opportunities to Grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, smart people, great history, well respected firm, family friendly, overall good working office environment.

Cons

Flat organization means little growth opportunities. Managers don't seem to mentor or encourage, very little promotions from within. Not exactly competitive in terms of salary compensation and company culture needs a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees who work hard and reward them. Turnover isn't worth it, invest in the people you have on board and the payback will be tenfold. If you stop caring now, the good ones will all be gone soon. Take time to listen and pay close attention to your employees who are hard workers.

RUN!

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are truly some great people I had the pleasure of working with and I have made some life-long friends; engineers are passionate about what they do; fairly laid-back environment.

Cons

Where to begin? This company needs an executive overhaul, starting with the top. M&N needs a true leader - one that isn't embarrassed to speak in groups, who isn't easily influenced, and who knows how to run a company (besides into the ground).

This organization is very top heavy - a lot of chiefs and no Indians!

The drama, backstabbing, and gossiping remind me of middle school and it all centers around the leaders. The employee morale is so low that the corporate office is a revolving door. Even with 100% turnover in certain departments the execs think everything is fine. Anyone who leaves is a bad egg and their mentality is "don't let the door hit you on the way out". I've watched excellent employees leave and it's just sad.

If you want to work for a company that treats you like an insect, talks bad about you behind your back, participates in immoral practices, doesn't make any effort to encourage a positive, fun company culture, than this is the place for you. But make sure that you have no backbone or opinion because you won't need one here.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Treat your employees with respect. Listen to what they have to say.

No longer what it used to be.

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees
    Projects in various disciplines
    Global Company
    Some upper mobility available but limited
    Financial compensation

Cons

Upper management is not consistent in decision making.
    Benefits are not what they use to be.
    Limited work/life balance
    Stressful work environment

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes.
    Don't forget your beginnings; employees are the ones that made your company what it is.

Almost Gone

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting work here. They really do hire the best of the best. Our clients hire us to solve really interesting and challenging problems. They don't have the profit center issues I have experienced other places so you can work for any office in the world which means it can be a very exciting place to work. Great IT team. Always get paid on time. HR is responsive and my benefits are pretty good.

Cons

They talk about how much they care about employees, about being a family environment, about having fun, being a flat organization, and about transperancy. If I work for a good manager then I have someone who cares about me but the company doesn't do anything that makes me believe they care - not at the top. As for family environment, that has been gone for many years now and now we are just numbers that produce revenue. Flat organization my you know what. Being transparent means we can speak honestly with each other and that just cannot be done with those at the top. There are so many hoops to jump through and so many rules that they just seem to have forgotten why we are here, to provide professional services to clients, not to be accountants for the every growing accounting department. Politics exist in every company but here it's a matter of whether the President likes you or your boss, and that can change without warning or visible reason. Heaven help you if you get on the CFO's bad list.

Advice to Management

You can be a profitable company that does good work, and you can create a place where people are excited to come to solve problems. You have to do something about your leadership, the President and CFO need to remember why the company is here and who keeps the clients coming back - IT'S NOT THEM. To your Board of Directors - people cannot speak up because Eric won't listen. Even if he would they would be branded as someone who should be replaced. If you put good leadership in place the profits will come.

1984 and The Emperor's New Clothes rolled into one endless workweek

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

The organization is flat; health and wellness benefits are good. There are many intelligent and compassionate professionals working there who care about their work and the impact it has.

Cons

Like 1984, you thrive as long as you comply with the groupthink; and your opinion is valued as long as you agree with the inner circle; any thought or conversation that hints at dissent or another POV, and you are "out." Confidential conversations? don't fool yourself. Ethics? as long as convenient for the inner circle.

The sycophantic executive team knows that the company lacks an effective leader. And yet, to point out the obvious is surely to be shown the door. Tread carefully; the flat organization simply makes it easier to control the general population.

Advice to Management

"Man up." It's not too late to recover the company; the Moffatt & Nichol that was respected industry-wide prior to current leadership at the helm.

"Are you having fun?" NO

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The firm has an impressive portfolio and a rich history!

Cons

Trust and loyalty are a thing of the past. I've seen a number of talented, honest and hard working individuals lose their positions and for some reason, management seems to turn a blind eye, even after being told, toward the employees who are the abusers.

Sad indeed.

Advice to Management

The board should elect someone with proven leadership skills and business acumen to actually run this company. Appoint an individual who knows how to engage with people and who embraces feedback.. Being socially awkward just doesn't cut it.

RSS Feed </> Embed