Moffitt Cancer Center

Moffitt Cancer Center Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

Moffitt Cancer Center President & CEO Alan F. List, M.D.
Alan F. List, M.D.

Pros
  • If you work for a team that is properly staffed, you will also be able to benefit from a reasonable work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great place for warm hospitality (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • In addition, there is no work-life balance nor do they praise you for hard work (in 3 reviews)

• promotion and advancement, little management understanding of the realities of patient care (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Organization that cares about both employees and patients

Former Employee - Health Outcomes Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Health Outcomes Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Moffitt leadership is honest and approachable, they truly care about work/life balance. Salaries on par with other health care organizations with yearly incentive increases. The research is cutting edge and there is a strong dedication to the mission. I loved my time at Moffitt and after leaving to work for the government, I wish I could go back!

Cons

Unfortunately, you have to pay for parking and there is not enough available for all employees.

Volunteer

Former Employee - Volunteer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great place for warm hospitality

Cons

It is a hospital, hence the rush.

A great place to work but....

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent patient care, great esprit-de-corps among co-workers, dedicated and pleasant staff at all levels.

Cons

Little work-life balance, administrative favoritism in [promotion and advancement, little management understanding of the realities of patient care

Listen to employees in regards to satisfaction surveys and exit interviews, instead of deflecting the dissatisfaction on to another level of management.
    Resist the desire to centralize everything. This leads to inexperienced personnel, "our way or the highway" mentality, and loss of concern for individual patient needs. This is very frustrating for patients and many are refusing tp return and they are discussing it with potential patients.

Good experience

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience, very satisfying

Cons

Rate of pay is extremely low

Not-for Profit with a For-Profit mentality

Former Employee - Researcher in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Researcher in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice location, shared location with University of South Florida,

Cons

Office policies are ridiculous. The leadership is non-visible, in their offices, while the rest of the people sit in these dark cubicles (unless you are working in a research lab, then you have windows). Corporate culture trumps anything else. For example, there used to be water coolers which were removed to cut cost, but coffee machines are still available, as is free coffee.

I've heard over and over how promotions from within are not the norm, but it seems that it depends on who you are working under.

research associate

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center

Pros

benefits, people, employee perks, work/family balance

Cons

low end of pay, great place to start a career and get publications, parking

I have worked here many, many years and now I am looking to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The relationships that you can build with other facilities and some coworkers is invaluable. The medical benefits package is pretty good.

Cons

It is very sad to see the favoritism that is present throughout the organization in the clinics and management. I believe the Motto "The workers will always work and the slackers will always slack" is more and more prominent. There is NO accountability and if you try to speak up about it, you become the trouble maker. They say that Retaliation is against HR policy but then Retaliation becomes the EXACT punishment when you try to speak up when treated unfairly. Managers allow unacceptable behavior to go on daily and again, to speak up about it means you are the trouble maker. This all is just the tip of the Iceberg. It TRULY saddens me to be at this place of employment for almost 20 years and now have to look for another job outside of the institution because of the corruption that has flooded the institution and NO ONE is willing to make the necessary changes to fix it.

You would have to first truly care about the employees who are the ones that care about the patients and listen to those employees. Then you would have to be willing to make the changes (FIRE PEOPLE) in order to put the right people in place to take care of the patients and treat each other they way they should. You would see a Domino effect of positive results from there. Unfortunately, I see the the mighty dollar having more importance than this.

One of the Best Cancer Centers in America

Current Employee - Research Specialist II in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Research Specialist II in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tier 1 status for cancer research in the nation. High patient satisfaction

Cons

Few structure career pathways in many positions means hitting a ceiling often. No true preference for internal workers gives the feeling that the company doesn't care about retention. The company does not feel cohesive.

Provide more opportunities for progression for current employees. Sponsor more company events that help to bring everyone in the company together.

Awful place to work

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center (less than an year)

Pros

You do get involved in the process including the overall momentum of the organization. You get a sense of 'going back to school' almost.

Cons

But they are very disorganized with no real Client Relationship Management system in place. Their expectancy for everyone to know Microsoft Office programs are above average and not stated in the job descriptions. In addition, there is no work-life balance nor do they praise you for hard work. Loyalty isn't rewarded at the organization and the leadership is very linear with unclear company values.

Please hire manager with appropriate level of training and understanding of how to manage staff. In addition, I would advise all new staff and candidates they wish to hire to do a personality assessment (DISC) test and have the results sent to their manager, and hiring manager. In addition, all managers should know the DISC assessment results of their direct reports.

I have been at Moffitt for several years and truly believe they consistently work towards their mission and goals.

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Moffitt Cancer Center is a fast growing company with plenty of room for growth if your a motivated individual. If you work for a team that is properly staffed, you will also be able to benefit from a reasonable work/life balance.

Cons

Moffitt is a very bureaucratic organization with a great deal of political nonsense that can often prevent teams from being productive. If you are lucky to work for a good leader who is willing to listen to their employees you will find the place rewarding. The benefits have gone down-hill over the past 6 years. The company no longer values the employees like they used to.

Considering being more selective in the leadership that is chosen at Director levels. Directors that come in and turn things upside-down without any prior knowledge of operations of the teams, groups, and/or people can set your progress back by several years.

Moffitt Cancer Center Photos