Moffitt Cancer Center

Moffitt Cancer Center Reviews in Tampa, FL

Updated January 9, 2015
Updated January 9, 2015
3.3

Moffitt Cancer Center President & CEO Alan F. List, M.D.
Alan F. List, M.D.

Pros
  • If you work for a team that is properly staffed, you will also be able to benefit from a reasonable work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great place for warm hospitality (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • In addition, there is no work-life balance nor do they praise you for hard work (in 3 reviews)

• promotion and advancement, little management understanding of the realities of patient care (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An ok time at Moffitt...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The organization provides a lot of perks such as discounted tickets for Tampa Bay professional sports teams and theme parks. I also have had the opportunity of taking advantage of a flexible work schedule as well.

Cons

Well the organization is a non-profit so don't expect getting paid a lot of money unless you are an upper level executive, or a medical professional. The internal customer service between employees can be better.

Management really needs to take the time out to know what goes on with front level staff thats the face or the organization. Internal customer service could be improved as well. Many medical professionals can speak to other employees in a condescending manner which is uncalled for. Hopefully, their bedside manner with patients is better than the internal customer service.

Former Group Manager

Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center

Pros

Passion of the workforce. Good medical benefits and vacation policy. They really want to find a cure for cancer.

Cons

Very naive outside the field of medicine and oncology. Clickish. If you're not part of the group, you don't know what's going on and you feel like management is going to do what it wants to do, regardless of the employees.

Listen to your employees and involve them in decision making at the lower level, but also at the strategic level.

Outstanding People and Great Mission; Don't Promote From Within and Low Salary

Former Employee - Management Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the people that work for Moffitt are wonderful! They truly care about the patients and their co-workers. I felt like I was making a difference when I went into work everday even though I rarely had patient contact.

Cons

The salary is low and they rarely promote from within. It seems a lot of the issues are from lower management and HR. The CEO is trying to foster positive change, but HR and the lower level managers seem to be stuck in their ways.

Raise salaries to be competitive and give loyal employees a chance to move up and into different departments that may interest them. The HR department needs to be cleaned out and new people need to be brought in. They literally told me they don't give any added consideration to internal candidates. That's a moral killer.

Organization that cares about both employees and patients

Former Employee - Health Outcomes Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Health Outcomes Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Moffitt leadership is honest and approachable, they truly care about work/life balance. Salaries on par with other health care organizations with yearly incentive increases. The research is cutting edge and there is a strong dedication to the mission. I loved my time at Moffitt and after leaving to work for the government, I wish I could go back!

Cons

Unfortunately, you have to pay for parking and there is not enough available for all employees.

Volunteer

Former Employee - Volunteer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great place for warm hospitality

Cons

It is a hospital, hence the rush.

Not-for Profit with a For-Profit mentality

Former Employee - Researcher in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Researcher in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice location, shared location with University of South Florida,

Cons

Office policies are ridiculous. The leadership is non-visible, in their offices, while the rest of the people sit in these dark cubicles (unless you are working in a research lab, then you have windows). Corporate culture trumps anything else. For example, there used to be water coolers which were removed to cut cost, but coffee machines are still available, as is free coffee.

I've heard over and over how promotions from within are not the norm, but it seems that it depends on who you are working under.

Good experience

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience, very satisfying

Cons

Rate of pay is extremely low

I have worked here many, many years and now I am looking to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The relationships that you can build with other facilities and some coworkers is invaluable. The medical benefits package is pretty good.

Cons

It is very sad to see the favoritism that is present throughout the organization in the clinics and management. I believe the Motto "The workers will always work and the slackers will always slack" is more and more prominent. There is NO accountability and if you try to speak up about it, you become the trouble maker. They say that Retaliation is against HR policy but then Retaliation becomes the EXACT punishment when you try to speak up when treated unfairly. Managers allow unacceptable behavior to go on daily and again, to speak up about it means you are the trouble maker. This all is just the tip of the Iceberg. It TRULY saddens me to be at this place of employment for almost 20 years and now have to look for another job outside of the institution because of the corruption that has flooded the institution and NO ONE is willing to make the necessary changes to fix it.

You would have to first truly care about the employees who are the ones that care about the patients and listen to those employees. Then you would have to be willing to make the changes (FIRE PEOPLE) in order to put the right people in place to take care of the patients and treat each other they way they should. You would see a Domino effect of positive results from there. Unfortunately, I see the the mighty dollar having more importance than this.

One of the Best Cancer Centers in America

Current Employee - Research Specialist II in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Research Specialist II in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tier 1 status for cancer research in the nation. High patient satisfaction

Cons

Few structure career pathways in many positions means hitting a ceiling often. No true preference for internal workers gives the feeling that the company doesn't care about retention. The company does not feel cohesive.

Provide more opportunities for progression for current employees. Sponsor more company events that help to bring everyone in the company together.

I have been at Moffitt for several years and truly believe they consistently work towards their mission and goals.

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Moffitt Cancer Center is a fast growing company with plenty of room for growth if your a motivated individual. If you work for a team that is properly staffed, you will also be able to benefit from a reasonable work/life balance.

Cons

Moffitt is a very bureaucratic organization with a great deal of political nonsense that can often prevent teams from being productive. If you are lucky to work for a good leader who is willing to listen to their employees you will find the place rewarding. The benefits have gone down-hill over the past 6 years. The company no longer values the employees like they used to.

Considering being more selective in the leadership that is chosen at Director levels. Directors that come in and turn things upside-down without any prior knowledge of operations of the teams, groups, and/or people can set your progress back by several years.

Moffitt Cancer Center Photos