Mohawk Fine Papers Reviews

1 Rating

1. Upper Management Megalomania

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cohoes, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cohoes, NY

I worked at Mohawk Fine Papers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health plan, and lower level employees are very friendly. The break room made for an enjoyable time at lunch. There was also never a shortage of paper.

Cons

The upper management and 'big brass' had far too much control over the overall business plan and personnel of the company. This might sound okay, but when a manager who has no experience with web development, design, or product development is making decisions that affect those areas without considering input from those departments, it's a big problem.

This dress code was also far too over-blown and enforced. I once saw upper management yell at a marketing intern for not wearing a collared shirt under a sweater. He did it in front of about ten other employees while they were standing in the break room.

They also don't take the opinions non-managerial employees into considering when making business plans. I was once in a four hour long meeting about product ideas and ways to improve the company. The employees in the meeting came up with several ideas and opinions. The next week, we learned that none of our input was taken into account, and the things we said we thought would not be successful, were chosen as the future product plan.

There's also nothing going on in the immediate area, so it doesn't provide for a convenient lunch location, and there isn't anything in the area to do after work.

Loosen up the strings a bit and stop micromanaging every single employee. If you let your employees have a little leeway and personal freedom, they'll be more productive. If you actually take feedback from employees into consideration when making your business plans, they'll be more invested in their day-to-day work.

2. The Company owns you, no life working here

Former Employee - Operator in Ashtabula, OH
    Former Employee - Operator in Ashtabula, OH

I worked at Mohawk Fine Papers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only thing good about here is the benefit package.

Cons

Mandatory overtime. Employees don't matter to upper management. Poor management. You can't make family plans if you work here. The overtime schedule gets posted on Thursday for the upcoming weekend and the following week. The only way to get a weekend off is to take Friday as vacation day. Also, you get paid for 11 holidays but only 4 are guaranteed off....New Years Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.

Listen to your employees. There should be a balance between work and home. Working at Mohawk is a PART of you life not our entire life. This is a company with high turnover of employees, there has to be a reason for that and usually it falls back on upper management.