Molbak's

Great learning opportunity

Former Employee - Buyer in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Woodinville, WA

I worked at Molbak's

Pros

Beautiful place, very inspiring. Fun good natured associates.

Cons

Very low compensation. Worked a salared position, requiring 50 + hours a week to get work load accomplished.

Some serious cut-backs happened to strengthen the company at great cost to selling team and staff. At least show some emotion, concern or appretiation for those who gave so much.

Limited support from managers. No opportunity for benefits or raises.

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Woodinville, WA

I worked at Molbak's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like gardening and home décor you will LOVE the atmosphere. The employees and customers are very pleasant. Some minor perks for employees such as discounted price on damaged plants. I found the training to be helpful, but I had prior experience. The owner (Jens) seems very dedicated. They offer secure lockers for staff to keep their belongings safe.

Cons

VERY POOR COMPENSATION. Must have open availability or you will loose all your hours without notice (if you turn down a shift, expect to lose several shifts!) their is no consideration for employees home life. You can't park on site during peak holiday times so you will be driving several blocks to find a space and need to walk alone back to your car (in the cold and dark) after work. Employee sexual harassment issues are not handled properly.. after experiencing this issue personally I told my manager who never told anyone else.. several days later I went to the manager above them and the issue was swept under the rug, I even had to sign a paper saying I would not discuss any details of the manner or I would lose my job! Also managers don't let you leave if you are feeling sick or have a bad cold, I started feeling really bad and almost threw up and when I asked to leave early (it was not busy at the time) I was told "We will see, ask me in two hours when we have more staff coming in." The managers do not offer enough support to the employees, they don't listen to ideas or concerns, and they intentionally prevent employee growth. If an employee is struggling the managers are oblivious. If an employee is working hard and doing well it goes unnoticed. I believe their is a lot of favoritism among staff, so hard work is not rewarded. Lastly the establishment has rats and employees were asked to refer to them as 'beavers' so customers wouldn't know (you can see them scurry away when you turn on the lights in the lunch room) and the rats are HUGE because they get into the in-store café to eat at night.

I would offer Jens (the owner) some advice, that he needs to find new managers. I would tell managers to offer better pay, better hours, and more employee support. Employees deserve to be paid based on performance, meaning their speed, accuracy, and customer service. Fulltime hours should be offered and benefits should be given to those who work them. Let sick employees go home. Address sexual harassment issues in a timely appropriate manner, do not dismiss concerns of this nature.

Small family run business. There is no dedicated HR dept.--instead the CFO runs HR. Management issues.

I worked at Molbak's

Pros

Molbak's is always looking for employees.

Cons

Molbak's is perceived as a poor place to work--low pay, limited hours, hard physical work.

I worked at Molbak's

Pros

The customers, employees and beautiful environment.

Cons

The work schedule is such that there are no regular days off.

To allow for employees to have at least two scheduled days off a week for personal and family time.