Molecular Devices

www.moleculardevices.com

Molecular Devices Reviews

Updated May 15, 2014

Andrew Boom

Overall, it's an okay place to work for.

ProsGood smart people work there. They make the hard work worth it.

ConsThe company overloads their current staff and has a hard time filling in positions that are vacated.

Great process oriented company, but not too people oriented

ProsThe parent company is very process oriented and they know what they are doing. People who works there are very specialized and knowledgeable with what they do.

Conscompany focuses all on process and not a whole lot on people. there was no employee development and long working hours

Advice to Senior Managementneed more focus around work life balance.

And then came Danaher

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros6-7 years ago MDS was the most wonderful place I had ever worked.
    Then Danaher took over and replaced all of management in the service department.
    The only thing that mattered was growing the bottom line.

ConsIf growing the bottom line meant "gouging customers", so be it.
    If growing the bottom line meant "firing senior engineers", so be it.
    If growing the bottom line meant "destroying long-term relationships", so be it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone you got from Perkin Elmer. Hire back anyone you can that was fired in the last 3 years.
    Listen to your customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Soon to hit rock bottom!

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe Pay appears to be good but definitely not worth it once you find out the personal cost...

ConsNo true leadership that can guide a once proud company under the Danaher ownership now, just a bunch of yes men concerned about their next bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo they even teach long term goals anymore in school? Throwing all your resources (and book keeping tricks) to make the next quarterly bonus is not going to secure growth over the long term. What about our Customers, don't customers come first in a service/equipment business? They aren't just something to leach all the money we can from now...

Operations is extremely intense

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLearn best practices such as standard work, kaizens and kanban. People are great. The culture does not tolerate resistance to change

ConsMost people are dissatisfied with the work/life balance. VP Operations is generally despised by everyone. There is very little latitude for creativity. Follow DBS is the mantra

A company without a clear identity or direction

Management (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsMolDev is a nice little biotech still suffering growing pains from its early start up days.

ConsSince MolDev sold itself to MDS in 2006, then later Danaher, it has struggled for clear direction and market positioning

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing direction every year. Set a path and work it. Also, be willing to pay Silicon Valley salaries to get higher level silicon valley talent. It will make a difference. --then, please empower your workforce.

Good place to work at if you know the right people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice friendly people
    Some people have been there a while but I think you have to be in the right position or know the right manager(s).
    Good overall work/life balance. The office is pretty empty by 5pm.

ConsOld, decrepit working conditions (old cubicles, dirty old chairs)
    You're always on pins and needles wondering if you're the next to be laid off

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and build more morale within the company and stop laying off good people.

Senior Financial Analyst

Senior Fp&A Analyst (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsHard working Accounting and Finance Groups; Strong FP&A Manager leadership;Collaborated efforts within Accounting and FP&A teams. Strong system administration support in Hyperion Enterprise. Flexible working environment.

ConsLack of fair communication and/or leadership from VP Finance to his staff. Financial system upgrade to Hyperion Planning or EssBase is recommended. Reduntant reporting submission requirements to two different systems at the month end close.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeekly staff meeting within the team is recommended. The management should drive the whole team to a better performance in financial reporting process.

MolDev is a small biotech company operated by Danaher Corporation

Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsSmall, easy to get to know the people. MolDev leveraged the Danaher Business System models to great internal improvements since the acquisition

ConsThe various functions are very siloed and don't communicate or work well together. All emphasis is on making sure your metric spreadsheets don't have red cells in them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook employees in the eye and say hello when you pass them in the hall.

Poor senior leadership team, high attrition, but good salary

Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros- Good salary and benefits
    - Access to the global Danaher careers network
    - Teaching of the DBS system (better than I thought so long as you're motivated to learn)

Cons- Senior management team (VP level) provide poor leadership (e.g. just make it happen rather than how can we solve this)
    - Very high attrition rate
    - Lack of promotions from within

Advice to Senior ManagementVery keen to see what will happen in the next 3-6 months. Hopefully the new president will look to clear out some of the fat at the VP level and bring about some real growth for 2012.

Worked for Molecular Devices? Contribute to the Community!