Molina Healthcare

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.6

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 9 reviews)

• They have good benefits,nice people to work with and chance for growth (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Worst work-life balance I've ever had the displeasure to experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company and people.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reston, VA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started working as a part time pharmacy technician with while still in college. My supervisor was very understanding when it came to school responsibilities and not only allowed me a fairly versatile schedule, but was also very encouraging. Upon graduation I was offered a full time job in a difficult economy. They see their employees as an important investment and disperse their profits down the ladder. They offer great health benefits, retirement accounts, ESPP, discounts, and rewards.

Cons

As can be expected, some supervisors can have some negative qualities, but if brought up to them or their supervisor, they will take steps to better the working environment.

Since Molina Healthcare is a publicly traded company, sometimes daily activities can be profit driven, especially towards the end of fiscal periods. This can add stress to life, but is offset by the fact that they offer ESPP.

Keep up the family-driven management style.

Very Unorganized no formal training

Former Employee - MITA EDI QNXT Data Engineer I in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - MITA EDI QNXT Data Engineer I in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best thing is possibility to work remote if you are in the IT department for the MMS division

Cons

Too much upper management and not enough workers. Bad training if any training at all

I was denied unemployment because my manager lied and so did HR. I approached HR with concerns but they did nothing to reverse the damage that the manager caused me professionally

Molina Healthcare of Michigan - used to be a great place to work - STAY AWAY!!!!

Former Employee - Clerical in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Clerical in Troy, MI

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Office location good, benifits ok, work hours ok

Cons

Where do I start - Leadership is not "Leadership". HR is useless. Management does not hold people accountable for their workload, bad attitudes, insubordination to manager/supervisor, constant cell phone usage w/loud disruptive conversations. Department is losing dependable, long-term staff due to the lack of communication and what is being allowed to continue. The more non-productive, disrespectful, rude (to Providers/co-workers), non-team player you are - the better you are treated by Management. I do not understand why this is allowed. HR will do nothing, and they are allowed to continue creating a stressful work environment. Why is it, staff can come in (clock in) and go eat breakfast for 30 minutes, while others have to work? Complaints have been lodged with management, management is aware of these individuals - yet nothing has been, or will be done. I am not just speaking of recently, this has been evolving for some time. I would not recommend anyone to work there.

Need to put in a "REAL" Human Resources Department. Also, Leadership/Management needs to change. Either send them to classes, or replace them. Have better communication with staff, and respond to their concerns and/or need for workload assistance. I never thought I would see Molina MI become such a stressful and awful place to work. 90% of staff - HATE coming in, it is truly becoming a "postal environment". You are losing too many good staff. Management staff in the past, were truly Management. CORPORATE MANAGEMENT - you need to get involved, before Molina Michigan sprials out of control!! I'm no longer there, so you can heed these words and make changes, or not -- I'm not affected and won't have to think about what I could have done.

Member Services, Esclation, Provider Services Terrible Service to Molina Members

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ok Pay, Ok benefits. Good office facilities. Great company if you are Spanish speaker with very little skills.

Cons

If you are Spanish this is the company to work for. They hire friends and family members who have no skills. They use the IM environment to help each other out. Everyone knows someone. Some of the supervisors have a hard time spelling simple words at high school level. Have no clue how to handle crisis. Very lazy people in management. Most are threatened by people who can speak good English and have some brains. If you are the type that like to dress like your going to a night well you will enjoy Molina dress code. They take business casual to a whole new level. They allow tattoos - you don't need to cover it up. Member service and outbound outreach has poor leadership. Most of the sups are just drones. I feel bad for the poor who are taken advantage of by the state and health care companies like Molina.

You need to make sure there is cultural diversity. Hire people who can read, write , have basic grammar. Monitor the leadership. Leadership training for all supervisors and mangers. Get them to be accountable and not lazy.
    Hire decent people.

Good stated intentions, haven't figured out how to follow through

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping the under-served with healthcare is a rewarding feeling.

Cons

Poor compensation for long work hours. Lack of flexibility in middle/upper management, and lack of regard for work-life balance. Communication is lacking between management and employees.

Communication, please. Don't try to snow the employees, we realize that things are not going well. Trying to put a spin on it is coming off as disingenuous. Also, when you have a manager at a high level who has consistently shown that they cannot retain good employees - take note and do something about it. This company comes across to employees as a small-family owned company that hasn't figured out how to grow up.

Decent job, but problems working with Corporate office

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Values, no micro-managing. Some employees are very talented and many are very nice people. The office location is great.

Cons

Top management are too self-involved. They don't care too much about their reports - don't want any details about the work their reports actually do, just "get it done".

You need to be more involved with the people who work under you. There also needs to be some structure and agreement about what corporate office is responsible for and what the plan level is responsible for. Too many tasks and responsibilities get pushed down to the plan level without notice or preparation.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked here as an intern for one year and I love it. The culture is amazing and management is very helpful and a lot of fun to work with.

Cons

They don't have a big budget for certain projects.

Keep up the good work!

A great place to work.

I worked at Molina Healthcare

Pros

This is a very family-friendly company.

Cons

Disparate organizations in support roles.

Centralize your support (e.g., technical, IT) organizations. The same support structures can be found in Texas, Louisiana and Utah. Coordination becomes difficult.

Roller coaster

I have been working at Molina Healthcare

Pros

Great location, some great managers.

Cons

Some employees are very difficult to work with, everyone knows each other (referrals).

Hire more non-referrals!

Working here for 2 years

Current Employee - API in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - API in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working offices. Supervisor support when needed. Good place to start your career to learn and earn experience.

Cons

Underpaid in some cases. They pay you low but expect you work much more than the level they advertised in job posts. They take advantage of your capabilities to do complicated work as much as they can without thinking how to have a corespondent compensation for these!!! As a result, good employees have to leave for better opportunities. Second, they refuse to pay you overtime even though they know you have to work overtime to complete their assignments. Finally you have to take work home without pay if you want not to look bad in front of them, which will affect your humble benefits. Stupid coaching and training system which just creates un-realistic imagination to fill in the coaching forms, cost time, money, create unnecessary pressure, but doesn't bring any effectiveness and improvements.

Please think about your employees. If they can do the jobs which nobody in the department can, please consider a fair compensation for them.