Mom365 Reviews

137 reviews filtered by
2.7
Mom365 CEO Gerry Murphy
Gerry Murphy

Pros
  • The opportunity to work with babies and their families is awesome (in 3 reviews)

• Great environment if you like to work independently (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Districts are too large- needs to be cut back to allow district manager to become more effective (in 7 reviews)

• Really unreliable hours, your time at work depends on how many babies were born, and that could be 0 on some days (in 3 reviews)

1. This is a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Lead Photographer/Trainer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Photographer/Trainer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Mom365 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient/flexible schedule, great pay potential (commission or hourly, whichever is more), involvement from managers, you are a part of a team but work independently, working with babies and families is amazing, can move up within the company quickly.

Cons

Hospital settings can be unpredictable. You may have to wait a long time to get into a room. If you're in a hospital with a high birth rates you can work longer hours than expected. Some days you may work an hour and the next day you may have to work 8 hours. This can change often.

Advice to Management

I've worked in two different districts and had the opportunity to witness the difference. My old district (Baltimore), the managers were very involved and we could reach out to them at any time and receive feedback quickly. In my last district (North Carolina), it was as if you are totally on your own. The managers would reach out sometimes but no follow ups. The photographers there did not follow company policy and they had lost their contract once before and I could see why. There was no involvement from the managers, except emails about weekly and monthly sales or photo tips. In my Baltimore district we did great with sales and I feel it's because we felt supported and we were always updated on anything happening within the company or our manager would just call to see how we are doing, personally or with work. Nothing like that in NC and the sales, I personally feel, reflect that. Management there really need to become more active with the photographers in this district and make sure company policy is being followed at ALL times. Because word of mouth travels. If someones love one has a bad experience with our company at one hospital it may prevent another love one or friend to instantly decline us based on what someone else has experienced. Which results in lost sales

Photographer/ Field Trainer

Former Employee - In-Hospital Photographer/Field Trainer in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - In-Hospital Photographer/Field Trainer in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Mom365 full-time

Pros

Autonomy, seeing all the sweet newborn babies!

Cons

This company is extremely disorganized at every level. There are a lot of technical issues with the cameras and laptops. A lot of time is wasted on trying to get these recurring problems handled, and that ultimately cuts into your hourly rate (which is based off of your earned commission). Hours are very unpredictable. Some hospitals are very slow... You may show up to work and have no babies to photo,or maybe only one or two, resulting in very low pay for the day. Other hospitals are very busy and its's impossible to see all of the babies. In that situation, you will be on your feet constantly, with no time for breaks, because it's usually a race to get the babies photo'd before they are discharged. Management cares only about sales and you are only as good as your last good sale. They expect high sales, and coach you on high pressure sales tactics, and yet the hospitals do not want you to come across as a "salesperson" and absolutely do not want you to be pushy. This puts the employee in a tough position trying to figure out their approach. Also, if you ever get sick, and someone else from your team is unable to cover your shift, management will still insist you come in. Suddenly, all concern for the health and well-being for the newborn babies with no immune system built up, is out the window. They care only about coverage... Never mind that you're vomitting or running a fever or so sick you can barely move. If you get promoted to "Field Trainer," your excitement at getting promoted quickly fades as you realize you are actually losing money while training other people. Speaking of which, we are supposed to introduce ourselves as "Professional Photographers." Doesn't matter that you've never held a camera before your very brief training on the job. Although I had a good eye and sold a lot of packages, I couldn't tell you what aperture is or any other functions of the camera.

You have to be a very patient person. I'm a mom... I've had three babies, so I know how to calm a fussy baby. But I would train young girls fresh out of school to do this job, and I would see their nervousness and frustration when they had to handle a fussy baby, which FYI, most of the babies are going to be fussy. You need to be able to calm them down long enough to snap a decent picture while assuring Mom that you know exactly what you are doing.

Advice to Management

I think this culture starts at the top and is trickled down. I believe the District Managers have so much pressure on them, to meet their quotas, from the Regional Manager, who likely is getting pressured from Corporate, that it leaves no room for being reasonable about expectations regarding sales and employee attendance. This company needs a complete shift in their culture.

Photographer

I worked at Mom365 part-time

Pros

Work with newborns and Moms

Cons

Some days there are no babies to be photographed which means no pay and waste of time because you still need to make it to the hospital to know if there are any babies for the day

5. I enjoy working for the company, pay is nice.

I have been working at Mom365

Pros

Pay is reasonable for a college student, Scheduling is convenient, work individually

Cons

Working in a hospital can be difficult, a lot of waiting around in terms of waiting for nurses to leave rooms, or waiting for mom to finish feeding, changing diaper, etc.

6. Great company with newer management

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Villa Rica, GA
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Villa Rica, GA

I have been working at Mom365 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with babies daily is a great joy. Newer district manager that really works hard to make sure photographers are happy. Great earning potential.

Cons

The usual, there are good and bad days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Overworked and underpaid

I have been working at Mom365 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good earning potential for photographers that will learn how to work on commission and not ride the clock. Flexible schedule for photographers.

Cons

In a management position, there is no work/life balance. I work from sun up to sun down 7 days a week and it is never enough. 100% to plan means nothing. They treat you like idiots if you aren't 110% to plan. Verbal abuse from Regional Director. Manage all part-timers that aren't invested in their job at all so deal with constant turnover. Impossible to be a driven sales company in a hospital setting and when we come off as pushy sales people, we lose our contracts but current leadership is so sales driven only they don't understand the unique dynamics of the position on the hospital floor.

Advice to Management

Understand your market and environment. The reality on the hospital floor and the fine line your employees have to walk can be quite discouraging and overwhelming. They cannot possibly be the strong sales person you demand while staying out of trouble at the hospital. Stop pushing the limits for more and more expensive products - our customers don't come to us, we invade their intimate space during a time when they are vulnerable and that aspect of the business shouldn't be overlooked for sales plan.

Revolving door! RUN don't walk! Unless you like being underpaid, overworked and treated like a child.....

I worked at Mom365 (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are in the field and not in an office setting. You get to provide a precious service to new parents that will last a lifetime. Always meeting new people daily.

Cons

Upper Management hounding you to sell the highest package of photos to a new parent.
    High turnover-its a revolving door!
    Pay is commission-so no sales, no money, although there is a fallback rate of minimum wage for those times where your sales vs. hours do not equal min. wage, BUT, if you do hit the fallback rate more than 3 times you are scolded and get a visit from your manager and a bedside coaching session where you are put under pressure right in the moms room.
    Hours of work-There has to be 100% coverage-365/7 including holidays. In addition, you never know what time your shift ends, because you have to stay until all the newborns for that day have been photographed, which makes it hard for someone if they have children of their own, or a LIFE! You could be there 15 minutes or 7 hours, again it all depends on the volume of births.
    Management changes more times than I can count. In my many years of working for this company, I lost count on how many different managers I had after 10.
    Every year or so, the company does a reorganization and people are terminated, OR the districts are combined and made 2-3 times the size, so consider yourself lucky if you get to see your manager on a regular basis.
    Sales goals are not in alignment with the demographics of the hospital. You cannot get blood out of a turnip! Then boy oh boy, if you do not make your daily sales goal, watch out! You can bet you will get a nasty phone call from that always absent manager, because they are over worked and underpaid.
    No opportunity for a career and no room for advancement!

Advice to Management

Stop the revolving door! Hospital's DO NOT like to see such HIGH turnover. You are cutting corners to save money, but yet you are also severing a possible long term relationship with the hospital and throwing someone new in there to continue where the other manager left off. Every time someone new comes in, the hospitals "talk" and question the morals of this company-and I know this first hand-I've heard it and been told this by a hospital staff person.

"Family Oriented" Lies. It's all about SELL SELL SELL

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The newborn babies are (usually) fun to work with.
    Most moms are also (usually) fun.
    You are giving mom a wonderful memory of her baby.

Cons

VERY sales oriented. I get emails constantly about who did what in the district and how much we need to improve.
    It is always about the sales. They say it's all about mom. But don't actually let it be about mom. She's not feeling good? Too bad. You are basically told to barge into the room and take-over. Mom says no? Make her say yes. Mom can't afford the photos? Talk her into a smaller (but still over-priced) package. The company makes it feel like it's your fault that you weren't able to get a sale or even get into the room to photograph the baby.
    If you aren't getting the right amount of sales they try to figure out why. Then tell you to fix that "why." Regardless of what it may be. Fix it. Get more sales. Boom. All better. Except no. It's not. The company wants you to be a manipulative liar. Then complains when you get complaints against you for doing what THEY wanted you to do in the first place.
    They say they are a family oriented company, yet when I need to take time to help my own family I get reprimanded and made to feel like I have to choose between work and family.

Advice to Management

Understand that the photographers are human too.
    Some of us are bending over backwards trying to make everything work for you.
    We are on the frontlines. We are the ones in the hospital interacting with moms.
    Maybe listening to what we have to say wouldn't be so bad either.
    This job has so much potential to be a really good, fun, job if the management would let up a little.
    We cannot help it that some moms don't want photos taken at all while others cannot afford to spend $300 on photos. Don't take it out on us.

10. Ok company

I worked at Mom365 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great hours, flexible schedule, friendly co workers

Cons

Majority of the call enter was part time which u didn't qualify for benefits

11. A great opportunity to make some extra cash!

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Mom365 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of the schedule, you are basically your own boss, you can work around other jobs, the pay per hour average is good, ongoing training is thorough and helpful, new babies = a positive environment, quality merchandise that you can sell with confidence, great camera equipment to use that is update regularly.

Cons

Lacks stability, you never know how many babies were born, you could get there and there may be none or there may be 20, you don't get both hourly rate and commission, you only get commission if the commission is more than your hourly rate, exposure to MRSA and other viruses, lots of technical issues with computers/orders, you have to handle cash and mail it in daily with no record of the cash, you aren't given a way to make change and lose orders because of this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!