Mom365 Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
137 reviews filtered by

Lots of work with minimal benefits

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mom365

Pros

Days CAN be flexible. Lots of cute babies. Able to work around my school schedule while working here.

Good job to earn a little bit of extra cash or just have something to.

Cons

Terrible pay! The base pay (fallback) is minimum wage, so the company encourages sales which you get a certain percentage of....if you're working more hours than you can to get the commission of sales you made, you get fallback plus any incentives you may have gotten. Each hospital also has a different commission rate.

Depending on what hospital I'm assigned, I can either have a super short day or a super long day, so having such a low base pay is not worth the work I have to do.

Coworkers are usually NOT professional photographers themselves, so don't expect the best work from fellow employees. Because of this, if they have worked longer than you and you have "returning moms" who had photos done before, they most likely won't want them again because they don't like the last ones. I have lost so many potential sales this way, and the upper management has done nothing to help their work.

Sick days are the worst. If you're sick, either suck it up and hide your symptoms, or struggle to find and employee to cover you. Most of the time they don't cover, so you have to go in. Same with vacations: finding coverage is the worst. There are no on-call employees to help out.

Because of all these, there is an incredibly high employee turnover rate. I have seen people leave within a few months, some leave after a few days of training.

I only stay because I need work while in school that allows me to work around the classes easier than any other retail place, but if I found something better I honestly would leave and never look back.

Advice to Management

Give the employees raises. I've been here almost 3 years, and even at my last retail job I got a yearly raise. The amount of work I do is not nearly enough for this pay.

Have on-call employees. I had to go in while coughing and vomiting, but no one could cover for me. My manager told me since I didn't have a fever I HAD to go. I was miserable for the 9 hours of work I did, and terrified of infecting any newborns or having the nurses find out I was terribly ill.

2. One month with the company, and it has not been the best. But it is the job I have

Current Employee - Baby Photographer in Baldwin Park, CA
    Current Employee - Baby Photographer in Baldwin Park, CA

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to see babies while working, provide new parents with beautiful pictures.

Cons

If something happens to the computers you have to figure a way out on your own. Sometimes their may not be a lot of babies, and you do not always sell. Sometimes you go to work, and leave in less than two hours. Pay is either hourly or commission not both.

Advice to Management

Maybe raise a bit more for new hires.

3. Fun yet dissatisfied

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Coachella, CA
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Coachella, CA

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, newborn babies and sharing a special moment with the famlies.

Cons

I work at a low income hospital, I end up making minimun wage!! I handle cash but I do get compensated for the time it takes ti buy and mail. I love my job but the constant harassment I get from upper management to make sales is frustrating!!! They seem to not realize that we do want to make sales. We dont need to be nagged about it. No one wants to make minimum wage! Fall back rate needs to be higher, specially in the low income areas.

Advice to Management

Lower commission and have the pay be hourly plus commission.

5. Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Mom365 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the work environment and how flexible my schedule is. I feel like I can actually have time with my family and have a job now!

Cons

I wish there were more internal promotion opportunities available. I love my job, but I want to be able to do more.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of hours that we are asked to work. It would be nice to be able to have more full time benefits with my full time hours.

6. Seems great...for awhile

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer

I worked at Mom365 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to photograph newborn babies! That is the fun part. Most parents are happy. It is a wonderful moment in a families life that you get to celebrate with them. You get to work independently for the most part, being the only employee of OUR365 in the hospital at most times.

Cons

They expected me to do an 8 pose full newborn session including mom, dad, siblings, and sometimes grandparents in a very short amount of time. Independent photographers spend 2-3 hours getting these shots and they expect them in 30 minutes. We did not have any way to edit the photos beyond a small amount of cropping. While trying to get these photos, you are constantly waiting on doctors, nurses, lactation consultants, social workers etc, to finish so you can start working. This is expected of course, since they are in a hospital, but it is difficult to squeeze in the photo shoot with all of this going on. In my area, management was very disorganized, which only made things harder if there were any issues. One of the hardest things about this job for me, was trying to rush through a shoot. Some days there were 14 or more babies to photograph and you have to stay until you take care of all babies. The quality of the photos was not what I wanted, and the prices were much higher than what most independent photographers charged. It was basically a sales job, not a photography job. I was not comfortable taking mediocre photographs and selling hard to make a paycheck. I wanted every family to have beautiful newborn hospital photographs, but I was not given the time or resources needed to accomplish this.

Advice to Management

Choose what type of photography you want and stick to it. You just can't deliver high quality 8 pose packages in such a short amount of time in a hospital room. Either have more than 1 photographer or stick to 1 or 2 poses with a less expensive price tag. I was constantly being called in, but no one would ever work for me when I needed them. This was the reason I finally left. Instead of this being a 2 day a week job it turned into 4 or 5 almost every week.

I really love what we do here at Mom365!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Mom365 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have a wonderful program that all families can participate in without even having to spend a ton of money.

Cons

None! We do baby photography and it doesn't get any better than that.

Advice to Management

We have great managers. They are continuously supporting the photographers to be sure they are learning and growing.

I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to have a job where I get to see newborn babies everyday!

Current Employee - Photographer & Field Trainer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Photographer & Field Trainer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the fact that we get to help mom capture a moment that is not only in a professional way but fun too.... we make baby comfortable and next to mom. We capture an expression or a moment that will be cherished forever. In hospital photography is the best we come to them we deliver a beautiful slideshow with great quality & unique products. Mom will receive them in 5 to 10 days . I Have heard nothing but good from the moms.
    Everyday is a new experience I'm loving it!
    Every baby deserve a beautiful photo. . That's what mom365 is all about. ..365 days also toy can always move up in the company.. from photographer to field trainer to district manager. I got to out to dinner with regional and district manager they was awesome! Great people!

Cons

I do think the packages can be a bit extreme maybe simplify it so mom doesn't get over whelmed as she is tired because having a baby is a lot of work. ..which having the online option to buy later is nice but really don't understand why it's 10% more to order online you also can get everything that we show in hospital. . Which I understand because we have to do the cropping to make sure everything fits in the frames of the products purchased.

I do wish the hourly rate was a little higher .

Advice to Management

Love the contests and bonuses we get!

9. Lack of training led to quite a confusing solo gig for a money hungry company

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning the poses and getting to work with decently up to date equipment. I loved getting to take the pictures and give moms the best all time memory.

Cons

Literally I had a week of training and got thrown into a hospital by myself. I had no idea how to do the inventory and had no clue who I was supposed to contact in case of questions. I met my "manager" twice and got ignored if I called her with questions. Also the girl who trained me did nothing but complain about how small her checks were going to be since she had to train instead of actually getting to take good photos for moms. Yeah all around they failed and got lucky that I can actually figure things out on my own and had previous photography experience. Oh and the pricing is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Learn how to train employees and pay a living wage.

10. Upper Management Good Rating

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer

I have been working at Mom365 part-time

Pros

It seems upper managements are happy & photographers are not.

Cons

If any of employees are not paid while you are told to be at a hospital according to their time range, then you are not independent contractors and must get paid. The penalty for not paying employee's time is high. You can get a free lawyer.

Advice to Management

Listen to the bad reviews. And do not post best reviews yourself.

11. It could have been a fantastic job, but it wasn't.

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Houston, TX

I worked at Mom365 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed photographing baby and being able to interact with the families.

Cons

I worked in a VERY busy hospital and there are suppose to be 2 photographers working at all times. 70% of the time, the 2nd photographer does not show up and I am left by myself to handle the hospital. Since this is a purely commission based job, this could be a really good thing (more sales, more money!). The problem is, it was impossible to reach all of the mom's in a given day. Sometimes I can roll them over for the morning, but this just added to the vicious cycle of never being able to finish. Usually, this is something I would be able to handle, especially if the money was there. The problem was, the hospital I worked at was for a very LOW INCOME area. Most families did not buy pictures even if they wanted to because they just didn't have the money. I've had people run around trying to find enough change within a group of family members to buy the cheapest item I had in the catalog. I was able to make a decent amount of money since there were so many babies to photograph. Then... the company decided to give away 1 free photo to try and promote more families at least do the free photo shoot (as if I was sitting around twiddling my thumbs not having enough babies to photograph!). This was what broke me. I couldn't keep up with the demand, we weren't getting more photographers to help cover the rooms, and since they're getting a free photo, sales dropped dramatically. I was constantly getting hounded my district manager that I couldn't leave until all babies have been photographed. Coming in at 7 am and leaving at 7-8 pm 5 days a week with terrible payouts was really just too much for me.

Advice to Management

It would have been nice if the managers actually showed that they cared. I'd call them when the other photographer didn't show up and I needed help but it would go straight to voice mail. I never got my calls returned. I just had to fend for myself. I only got a call when I was being yelled at for not finishing all of the rooms.