Mom365

2.9

Mom365 CEO Gerry Murphy
Gerry Murphy
1 Rating

Pros
  • The opportunity to work with babies and their families is awesome (in 3 reviews)

• Great environment if you like to work independently (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Districts are too large- needs to be cut back to allow district manager to become more effective (in 7 reviews)

• Really unreliable hours, your time at work depends on how many babies were born, and that could be 0 on some days (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Foot in the door, nothing more

Current Employee - Sales Photographer
    Current Employee - Sales Photographer

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience working with newborns, which - as an aspiring freelance photographer is exactly the reason I had applied for this job in the first place.
    You get to work with parents in the happiest time of their life.
    Someone like me has to work more independently on my own pace, and it's very easy to do with this job.
    The nurses at our hospital are sweethearts and treat us like family.
    When you're good at what you do, you get amazing responses and compliments to your work.

Cons

For larger cities with a variety of financial situations, this company has a great chance to thrive. Where I work, however, is set up in a very rural country town with a horrible unemployment rate and average income. People here just don't have the money.
    At first when I was hired, it was $8.50/hr + 15% commission. I was doing amazing on my paychecks, splitting the hours with one other photographer, and still getting around $400-$500 every 10th and 25th, which was amazing for the hours put in. The CEO has changed recently, and with the change, the pay structure was changed as well. Straight commission with a fallback rate. As I mentioned, we live in a place were we have more days with no sales than anything. There is no money in it anymore, the only reason I even stay with this job is that I enjoy the work environment.
    They want you to force moms that aren't interested in having their photos done into taking them. There are conference calls every week in which they go over your hospital statistics, and if you fall behind they usually keep pushing you that you're not working hard enough. One of the statistics are, if you haven't guessed, percentage of babies photographed.
    If you don't do well in sales, usually in your boss's eyes it's YOUR fault. I have even had my boss request a PROPER explanation for days that we didn't sell, because there's something wrong on our end. They also wanted us to talk other professionals in the area down to increase our own business, and as someone who is a freelancer outside of this job, it pains me too much to even do so. The new pay structure is only a representation of how they actually treat the workflow.
    Many of the things are overpriced for what you get. Working in a low-income area, I don't even feel comfortable trying to sell some of these things to people but I do so anyways, of course.
    They do tell you as soon as they interview you that this is not a job to pay the bills with (even though at first, I had no problems). This, in my opinion, is very unprofessional and strikes me as extremely stingy.
    They work you to death sometimes - I cannot request days off at all. I worked by myself, 7 days a week, for months before a new photographer was hired in.
    They do not always hire photographers that actually have any experience in photography at all. They want you to know more about sales than anything - and I understand that with many retail studios this is often the case, which is why many have such a bad reputation. As a photographer OUTSIDE of this company, this is a very, VERY bad practice.
    The photographers are all unappreciated by corporate, and the new pay structure is their way of saying "I wouldn't pay you a fallback rate at all if I could get by with it, so I'll pay you as little as I legally can instead".
    I'm only staying with this job due to the experience gained from it and the fact that in the area I live, it's hard to find another job and I don't want to be unemployed. I'm planning on moving anyways so I'm just going to do what I must until that time comes.

Appreciate your employees.
    Have a more realistic pay structure.
    Have realistic expectations.
    If all you care about is money, don't even bother setting up in small, low-income towns.
    Don't tell your photographers to talk other professionals, usually with more experience than most photographers with Mom365, down.
    Yes, some professionals DO offer high-priced photo packages - but they have much more skill, have spent far more money on equipment, and are actual studio photographers instead of hospital photographers. If you want to have packages worthy of the price - hire people with the skill to reflect the price.

Poor service

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Smithtown, NY
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Smithtown, NY

I worked at Mom365 part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Takeing pictures of happy parents and their new babies

Cons

Upset parents after it takes weeks/months for them to get what they ordered.

Train your people properly and refund your customers when you don't deliver as promised.

Good job, but drawbacks

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working with newborns and parents in a setting in which you essentially get to go in, do your job, and leave when the work is done. many times you get to work with really fun, cool parents, and photograph beautiful babies!

Cons

How well you do depends on which hospital you are working at, no matter to your skills. If you are in a better neighborhood, with higher income families, and a busy hospital, chances are you will do well. $15-30/hour. If you are in a lower income neighborhood, $9-15/hour. It is much harder to sell, and make a good hourly based on commissions. If they don't have the money, or a credit card, the order won't get placed. Chances are slim that they will get placed at home either. Each hospital is different as well, some are more stringent, others more easy going, and that will affect your work day as well. it can be challenging as well to get time off. This depends on the team you are working with. Some people are willing to cover in illness/vacation, with the understanding that it will be reciprocal. Some don't. If you cannot find coverage, you have to go in. Your DM will not just cover the shift for you. It is your responsibility to find coverage. Your workday is based on how many babies were born the day before. Could be 3, could be 18. Generally, a busy day takes you until 3pm, if your have a good rhythm to your day. Early is 11pm. Crazy long day might be 5pm. That is not the norm, generally speaking.

Great experience photographing baby and mom.

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer/Field Trainer in Mineola, NY
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer/Field Trainer in Mineola, NY

I worked at Mom365 part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you love babies and photography this is a great part-time job.

Cons

Commission only. District Manager expects you to return emails to team and trainers off the clock, at home. If there are no babies to be photographed on your scheduled shift you will not make money on that day. If you are legitimately ill, and do your best to get a teammate to cover your shift, But cannot, the District Manager will demand you go into the hospital to work your shift and photograph the new born babies.

Being a bully is not a characteristic of great leadership skills. If an employee is legitimately ill they should not be forced to work their shift and contaminate a new born baby (and the mother). An hourly wage should be enforced along with commission to cover slow shifts and working after hours returning emails and submitting reports.

it was fun

I worked at Mom365 part-time

Pros

c.fraser.

shes a rockstar!!!
    loved the pay

Cons

hours
    very demanding keeps you on your feet

Rewarding yet demanding

Current Employee - District Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - District Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Mom365 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I believe in the service this company provides. It's wonderful to build relationships with hospital in order to celebrate baby. I've met incredible people along my path with this company. If you make the goals, the bonuses are nice!

Cons

70-80 hour weeks are hard to take. The pay does not reflect the work required. If you have a marriage, children or a life in general, it is VERY difficult to mange time effectively. There is very little support for District Managers.

More competitive pay for my photographers. Immediate support to DMs with 25+ hospitals.

poorly managed, nightmare of a company

Current Employee - Photographer
    Current Employee - Photographer

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Taking photos of newborns. having a flexible schedule and being able to work indepently

Cons

Encourages their photographers to trick moms into thinking they have to get their newborn photos done before they leave the hospital. Then they try to sell extremely expensive photo packages. Most photographers are not trained and their pictures are terrible. ALOT of pressure to sell and meet sales goals!!

Check your conscience!!

Photographer

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Mom365 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, meeting new people all the time, working with babies

Cons

Working in hospital environment can be challenging. Low pay. more about sales less about pictures.

A great idea for a company or job...but reality is underpaid and overworked employees.

I worked at Mom365 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great job. Working with babies can be challenging but it is rewarding. If you love photography, working with children, and having a good routine, it seems that this job is a good fit.

Cons

You are underpaid. As a college graduate with a degree in photography, I was being paid very little, especially being that I worked with no supervisor on duty...just by myself...and I was essentially the face and main source of income for the company as one of the sales photographers. It costed me more to commute to where they sent me to work than I was ultimately making.

Scheduling sucked because you might have set days, but you could be there only an hour one day and for longer than 8 the next depending on how many babies and how long each shoot takes in one day. Also, other employees often quit or called out, so even though you might only be scheduled 5 days a week, you would be asked to work more, and if you refused, then the nurses would yell at you the next day you are in because moms were asking to have pictures of their babies done but no one was there to do it.

I was promised to work in one hospital closer to me but that I would have to start in the city hospital, and I would be moved to the closer hospital eventually. No such promise was upheld before I had enough and had to quit.

Lastly, the management is extremely demanding. Not only would they put you in positions as described above, but I received dozens of emails a day....SELL SELL SELL! YOU CAN DO BETTER! Urging to fit into quotas. I understand that there is a need to drive sales, however if you are working in an inner-city hospital where most of the moms can't afford a $200 photography package, let alone are nice enough to let you come in to try for one, there is only so much you can do. This was a daily headache that management didn't seem to understand, as they would then publish each employee's sales records for all to see which was more embarrassing than motivating in my opinion.

All in all, I liked the idea of this job and wish the circumstances were different otherwise I might have stuck with it.

Pay your sales photographer employees more and then you can expect to get a better caliber of employees/photographers

Don't make the entire job about quotas, as if it were a baby photo factory. There are other variables that photographers can't always work around.

Publishing sales records per employee is detrimental rather than motivating. Dozens of emails about such topics a day is not motivating, it is annoying, and almost berating.

Great KOB with flex hours

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you work how they train you, enjoy sales and hard work, its a great job!

Cons

Long hours on your feet

Training at corporate level