Moma

3.7

Glenn D. Lowry

Great, creative environment

I worked at Moma as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great workplace environment if you're interested in the arts, and everyone was very approachable
    My department/supervisor was very accommodating and friendly, since there were very few of us
    Other interns had the opportunity to talk to senior level curators outside of their departments, and the interns were mostly sociable ad communicative themselves

Cons

I got the sense that the full-time hiring process was slow, and that some interns had less (or just less enjoyable) work than others
    Both my supervisor and other interns experienced some general disorganization, and myself and other interns had to jump around desks a bit

Eye opening experience into the world of various collections, exhibitions, and departments

I worked at Moma as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interning in the Library department was a great opportunity to learn and observe how libraries complement museums and operate within the larger framework of art museums like the moma. I spent most of my time in the stacks locating and processing materials for hold or reserve so I saw and read all kinds of fascinating art books. The photography books section was one of my favorite sections to work on. In addition to my departmental work, I had the opportunity to participate in "enrichment activities" each Tuesday designed to increase understanding of the Museum's various collections, exhibitions, and departments. Senior management was very friendly and respectful to staff members.

Cons

The only issue I had was the lack of any form of stipend or compensation although having free access to the galleries whenever I wanted was great.

Consider giving out some sort of weekly or monthly stipend to your interns. It could go a long way in making sure interns are able to make to work every day.

curatorial intern

I have been working at Moma

Pros

great access to resources, scholarly & intelligent work

Cons

shows take a long time to plan and execute, company doesn't take as many creative risks as they could/a smaller museum, office culture can be very individualistic

create more of a teamwork atmosphere

Very corporate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Moma full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Periodic all-staff meetings give some insight to the direction of the institution. Staff can attend openings, which are very nice events.

Cons

Very corporate. Little acknowledgement given to lower level staff. Long hours without adequate compensation, despite being unionized. Staff work out of fear of dismissal and hope of promotion that comes to very few.

Engage with the lower level staff - they are very smart and have a lot to contribute to the success of the museum. Be mindful of the hours lower level staff are required to commit to when planning new projects.

Internship (summer)

I worked at Moma as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great resources in terms of exposure to art and the curatorial world.
    The head curators have written very strong essays and coordinated impressive shows, so take advantage of them if possible.

Cons

The environment can feel sterile and institutionalized. People often work alone or in very small groups on projects that go on for years.

Foster a greater sense of community and teamwork. Producing knowledge and being cutting edge both require creativity and inspiration.

Lousy pay, ingrained sexism, crazy politics, ugh!

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Moma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

everyone you know will respect you for working there.

Cons

below average pay, a management style that pits one department against another to meet random budget restrictions. A weird phenomenon of more male leadership at the top with female minions in the trenches. Creepy.

Treat your staff like your family, because at the salaries you pay-- there has to be some love to put up with it all.

Internship program could use some work, but in general a good place to work

Former Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Moma as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Incredible institution, you get to meet all kinds of people, almost everyone who works there is really cool and interesting.

Cons

Working in midtown = ugh, the way interns are treated varies widely by department which means some placements are fantastic and some are so-so. The museum has such a huge endowment that it's sort of hard to believe they can't manage to pay interns minimum wage or some sort of stipend, but I guess that's typical of museums that you work for free until you manage to get a paid job.

Creative and Inspiring in-house design department

Former Employee - Freelance Graphic Design in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Freelance Graphic Design in New York, NY

I worked at Moma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very talented designers at all levels
    Good production team that helps designers not have to do the production work
    Good learning experience
    Exciting museum environment
    Perk of getting to go to museum openings

Cons

Office politics between employees that have been a long time vs newer
    Low wages typical of non-profits

Upper management in advertising/design is talented but too often "friends" with employees

Employee

I have been working at Moma

Pros

Great exhibitions and superior collection. Decent benefits. Talented staff.

Cons

Lack of focus and deteriorating environment

Still new but...

I have been working at Moma

Pros

The prestige of a name-brand institution like MoMA on your resume goes farther than you think, there's ample resources for training staff, great perks, oh and world-class ART.

Cons

Low salaries for junior and non-managerial staff (still higher than average in the art world), beaucoup office politics (same as any big corporations in the for-profit realm), and a high-volume workload that demands grueling hours from employees. Junior curatorial staff are on termed, fellowship-like positions (union-mandated) that leave you out in the cold after 4 years, fully trained, but with little chance for promotion within the institution.