Moma Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
25 reviews filtered by
3.9
Glenn D. Lowry

1. A fabulous place to be.

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Moma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Such a smart, talented group of people, and incredible perks like curator gallery tours, access to the museum when it's closed to the public, etc. I left this job for reasons having nothing to do with MoMA, and I miss it all the time.

Cons

It's a major cultural institution with an eye on the bottom line, and as such might feel a little corporate to some (this was not my experience, but I could imagine it). It also might be hard to move up/around within the institution, as the turnover rate seems to be relatively low.

2. World class collection, poor management

I have been working at Moma

Pros

Excellent collection and abundant resources

Cons

No support for staff from higher ups.

3. Watch your back - because no one else will

Former Employee - Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Moma

Pros

Cultured environment, people in general are passionate and want to be there.

Cons

Completely political work environment. If someone up above for whatever reason doesn't like you, you're done - quick as that.

Advice to Management

Look I found a better gig, but in the future for others, make sure they know its not about what they know but who.

5. Great Experience, Little Internal Opportunity

Current Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Moma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Much of the positions at the Museum are unionized, so benefits were amazing. It is a great stepping stone to better outside opportunities. MoMA becomes a huge part of your social life.

Cons

Low salaries and no opportunity for growth. You are fitting that position title and level. They aren't willing to promote to keep good talent as there is someone waiting in line to take that position at the same or lower salary.

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep talented staff around longer.

6. Great Experience

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Moma

Pros

Learned a lot. Treated well by coworkers. Felt like an integral part of the team.

Cons

The internship was unpaid. I lost money due to transportation getting back and forth, and providing lunch. Because I was such an important part of the team, I felt I should have been compinsated in some way, especially when I worked long hour days (10 hours)

7. I worked with Visitor Services for 3 month during Picasso Matisse exhibit held at transitional Long Island city location

Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative

I worked at Moma (Less than a year)

Pros

World class art and innovative museum. Engaged, bright and positive staff in visitors services. Some of our managers were wonderful. Also have had several friends working as carpenters. Great time, strong Union.

Cons

Visitor services - Low pay. Not much avail to transition from temp to full time,
    People covet their jobs.

8. Good experiences both as a researcher and a lecturer

I have been working at Moma

Pros

great place to work among art museums in nyc

Cons

tough getting in and sometimes staying in

9. Eye opening experience into the world of various collections, exhibitions, and departments

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Moma as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interning in the Library department was a great opportunity to learn and observe how libraries complement museums and operate within the larger framework of art museums like the moma. I spent most of my time in the stacks locating and processing materials for hold or reserve so I saw and read all kinds of fascinating art books. The photography books section was one of my favorite sections to work on. In addition to my departmental work, I had the opportunity to participate in "enrichment activities" each Tuesday designed to increase understanding of the Museum's various collections, exhibitions, and departments. Senior management was very friendly and respectful to staff members.

Cons

The only issue I had was the lack of any form of stipend or compensation although having free access to the galleries whenever I wanted was great.

Advice to Management

Consider giving out some sort of weekly or monthly stipend to your interns. It could go a long way in making sure interns are able to make to work every day.

10. curatorial intern

I have been working at Moma

Pros

great access to resources, scholarly & intelligent work

Cons

shows take a long time to plan and execute, company doesn't take as many creative risks as they could/a smaller museum, office culture can be very individualistic

Advice to Management

create more of a teamwork atmosphere

11. Great, creative environment

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Moma as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workplace environment if you're interested in the arts, and everyone was very approachable
    My department/supervisor was very accommodating and friendly, since there were very few of us
    Other interns had the opportunity to talk to senior level curators outside of their departments, and the interns were mostly sociable ad communicative themselves

Cons

I got the sense that the full-time hiring process was slow, and that some interns had less (or just less enjoyable) work than others
    Both my supervisor and other interns experienced some general disorganization, and myself and other interns had to jump around desks a bit