Momentive Reviews

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014

2.6

Craig O. Morrison

Good place to get experience

Current Employee - Chemical Process Operator
    Current Employee - Chemical Process Operator

I have been working at Momentive full-time for less than a year

Pros

I get the experience that I need as a Process Operator to continue to grow in my career. Cool employees to work with.

Cons

PAY is HORRIBLE. Only work 8 hours when promised 12.

Decent company to work for.

I have been working at Momentive for more than 10 years

Pros

State of the art technology. Global customer base.

Cons

Rural location and hard to travel to work in bad weather.

If you are not a fan of stress, seek employment elsewhere...

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Momentive full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is reasonable. There are some pretty good benefits, like tuition reimbursement, it was sometimes nice working at the downtown location.

Cons

High stress, terrible work - life balance; very little potential for personal growth or advancement. You receive the bare minimum amount of time off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid internship Experience

I worked at Momentive

Pros

My compensation was very good for an undergraduate internship and there seemed to be follow-up employment opportunities. As with most internships, the course of the position changed but the job experience proved to be valuable.

Cons

Very rigid work environment. I always got the impression that working long hours was never enough to justify taking off early on a Friday afternoon. It didn't particularly affect me, but I heard grumbling about it from full-time coworkers. Maybe the culture has adjusted since my time there.

Response to "high rewards" and "rebuttal"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Momentive

Pros

Employees are dedicated but not appreciated and micro managed causing for frustration.

Cons

So after reading both reviews, makes me want to assume that the person who wrote rebuttal is right because it flows in the pattern that Momentive is headed down the drain. My question to the person who wrote "high rewards" is this: Out of 31 reviews more than half have testified, including an interviewer, that the management is messed up. Are you so egotistical that you cannot accept that there just MIGHT be a problem with the way you are leading your employees(if you can even call leading because it's sounding more like tyranny to me)? If there is a leadership program available, is your business management team going through it too? And why must one apply for it? Do they go through an approval process? Why? If it's meant to improve a persons thought process and career what makes you a god to say that you don't feel that they are fit to be leaders? Are you really preaching that you are empathetic or are you unbelievably narcissistic?

Lots of companies run their workforce lean, but not at the expense of humanity. At the end of the day, do you think you would like being treated the way you treat your subordinates? Many great men have said that leaders need to show the way. Have you shown the way to your subordinates or shouted at them for making an error because of human error?

You are not in college anymore. Stop gossiping, micro managing and maybe giving your employees some slack.

High Expectations / High Rewards

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Momentive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am a current Momentive employee who is not on the Business Management Team or HR. After reading some of the previous reviews, I thought I should give another prospective to those that may be looking at these postings for guidance on a decision to pursue employment with Momentive.

Below has been my experience with Momentive:

1) Promotion From Within - Many people on the management staff have started in entry level positions but over time have been promoted (multiple times) due to hard work and proving their capability. Age does not necessarily dictate the skill set needed to perform and excel in a position.

2) Leadership Development - The management team focuses on guiding and mentoring younger associates to prepare them for their next role. There is even a formalized program that employees can apply for on an annual basis. Direct feedback is given regularly, not just during annual reviews.

3) High Expectations/High Reward - This isn't a punch card job where you surf the internet or gchat all day. You put in the time, and effort but you will see the impact it has once completed. Public praise for achievements is given from all levels of management. Also, the best reward is a promotion, which is given based on merit.

5) Work life balance is encouraged and enforced. This doesn't mean this is a 8-5, M-F type of job but guidance and support is given to prevent employee burn-out. I have personally been told before to "slow down" by management.

6) Integrity and Honesty is the standard. No excuses.

7) Strategic - There is a plan, and not just for the next year. The vision and goals are communicated by our leaders every year and then trickled out to each team. If you don't know the plan, you weren't listening.

8) Bad attitudes are not tolerated - If you have a bad attitude and are negative... Don't work here.

9) People matter. Yes, everyone can be replaced, but I know that I am not a number.

To excel here you must have the following characteristics: Creativity, flexibility, high level of integrity, drive for continuous improvement, strategic mindset, positive attitude.

Let's be honest. No company is perfect but I will tell you this... I love going to work every day and most everyone I work with feels the same way. That must count for something.

Cons

Very fast paced environment so you must be flexible
    Understaffed due to magnitude of growth over the past year

Continue to invest in your employees and we will continue to do great things.

Great company, IF you are male

I worked at Momentive full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a fairly even split of the sexes in the office: 60% male, 40% female.

In a single 4 month period, Momentive internally promoted 6 people! These individuals ranged from years of experience with Momentive, to months of experience with Momentive.

Cons

None of the promotions went to women.

You lose a lot of people due to your culture. This is a red flag. Address it.

Rebuttal

Former Employee - Sales  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Momentive full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are OK, and I did make a few friends.

Cons

High Expectations / High Rewards??

Below is my rebuttal to the glowing review of Momentive that was posted the other day by someone who is CLEARLY part of the insider clique that the other reviewers have mentioned. Whoever posted that review of Momentive is obviously part of the group of about 10 people that are treated well and given limitless power at that company.

1. Promotion from within? I sure hope you are part of the insider clique if you want to get promoted. Otherwise, Momentive will switch your job title without your input, give you no raise and call it a promotion. Has happened to several people at this company - but not the insider clique. They get promoted constantly. Although, I do wonder if they got raises or just title changes to fluff their little egos.

2. Leadership development - Sure, you will get direct guidance and it will probably happen with sarcasm in front of everyone in the company during your presentation or when you dare to question anything that management says - no matter how ludacris it might be. You will not be given direct guidance in a professional manner.

3. High Expectation / High Reward - This is just laughable. The highest expectation at this company is to get to internal meetings and put together internal power points.

4. I see who ever put that review together forgot about the #4 so lets move on.

5. Work life balance? The standard is to commit to overtime. Lots of it. If you don't, then you are ridiculed. People at Momentive often brag about how much time they put into being in the office or working from home.

6. Integrity and honesty? This is so far from the truth. Management at Momentive does whatever they want. Try going to HR. They will tell everyone what your complaint was about and then really do nothing to correct it. HR is on the senior leadership team! It is a joke.

7.Strategic - Anyone who has worked at Momentive knows that strategic is a buzz word around here. Means nothing - just like path forward. Nothing is communicated to lower level employees.

8. Bad attitudes are the standard. Especially for management. They encourage each other to shoot down the lower employee's ideas / presentations.

9. People matter? Really is that why all of the sales team recently quit and no one has addressed why everyone at this company is leaving? People don't matter. Oh, well unless you are in the clique. Those people bend over backwards for each other.

This company is a joke. It is a little play ground for a few people.

Open your eyes Craig Morrison!!!!

High Expectations / High Rewards??

Former Employee - Sales  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Momentive full-time for less than a year

Pros

I met people I really like.

Cons

4. I see who ever put that review together forgot about the #4 so lets move on.

This company is a joke. It is a little play ground for a few people.

Open your eyes.

Great people, great work

Former Employee - R&D Lab Technician
    Former Employee - R&D Lab Technician

I worked at Momentive as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Really enjoyed working with the people. Everyone here was great, and very eager to teach and help you evolve in your role.

Cons

Sometimes there can be a lot of busy work.

Keep evolving!

Worked for Momentive? Contribute to the Community!