Momentous

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rob Hall

Execution lags vision

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Momentous

ProsThe company has a visionary CEO who often moves to fast and far ahead of the people who manage execution. There are real aspects of a family atmosphere (like the in-house chef) and the youthful enthusiasm of the employee base infuses the place.

ConsIt is often too compartmentalized for a firm of its size. The potential dynamism that can be created by working for a holding company of many companies can be undercut by artificial barriers to cross-team working.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffering more evidence that the input from staff carries weight even if it doesn't carry the day. The act of listening closer would also slow down what at times is a runaway train. Focus as much on the execution of an idea as the idea itself.

Unclear with poor communication led by wannabes, all that glitters is not gold

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Momentous full-time

ProsBring your dogs to work, washer + Dryer facilities, free pop, free beer (on Fridays)

ConsCliques and popularity contests, no clear onboarding and training, gossip, information hoarding, non-transparency, favouritism, douche attitudes, low-risk environment, don't keep promises, talk negatively (and lie) of former / current employees behind their backs

Advice to Senior ManagementAll that glitters is not gold. Behind the façade and all the perks, you have to actually deliver sooner or later.

There are a list of values that the company prides itself on, rather they should be aiming for those values since they are not inherent. They state that everyone says hello there, and when I did this, I was cautioned and bullied. I was promised much when I first started in many areas but then when I asked, I would always be given the runaround and flimsy excuses and to do just my job and nothing more.

Sure, there are many benefits, but what use are these, if you have no use for them, e.g. drinking pop and bringing your dogs to work?

The firm builds itself being unconventional and different from the key public sector mentality in Ottawa. The only problem is that the company is built by people who only know Ottawa and run the place exactly like any government department. And it also seems to want to be so different, that it indirectly acknowledges that it is not so different from the rest after all, since actions speak louder than words.

A lesson that I learned much after is that if you know people in the company (or in the community) and do them favours (like walk or babysit their dogs or run errands for them), then the sky is the limit (not your productivity or professional attitude, on the contrary that will get you into trouble as I found out the hard way for caring too much). Also, risk-taking is not encouraged as it upsets the status quo and rocks the boat. The company is filled with people who have either not worked long in their career or those who have been there for too long and grown complacent and dare to not be challenged on anything.

I could go on and on and on, but definitely I would not recommend this place, only perhaps as a stopover for a couple of months as a real eye-opener and lesson in what not to do, that is all.

Already, businesses have asked me my opinion if Momentous was worthwhile to conduct business with and I can gladly say that now I have provide them with much better, cheaper and more honest alternatives.

I was misled in the interview on everything, if I knew then what I know know I would have stayed where I was.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Momentous

ProsThe co-workers are pretty good people.
The benefits are non existent - sure they offer a washer and dryer at work but what if you alredy have one at home? They allow dogs to come to work but that is problematic when the dogs pee and poop in the office and the barking is not very professional when talking to cusotmers on the phone. The free cafeteria is a nice perk but they use it as leverage to pay their staff less money than competitors.

ConsNothing turns out they way they say it will in the interview, the bonuses are terrible/non existent, there next to no training, the schedule is horrible, the pay is less than competition, no medical benefits until you have been employed for 1 year. The owner isn't interested in keeping his customers happy either. Newer employees make substantially more money than those that are fully trained and have been there 2+ years. Favoured yet inferior employees are given better shifts on the schedule. I was told I would not have to work overnight shifts but I was scheduled for a week of overnights once a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing I could say to get thru their big egos, it would be a waste of time

Worked for Momentous? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Momentous reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Momentous CEO Rob Hall. All reviews posted anonymously by Momentous employees.