Momentum Software

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Schneider

Great opportunity for go getters to work on cutting edge software projects.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMost MSI projects I have been involved in include aspects of most current industry trends such as modern event driven architecture, DevOps - Continuous Integration/Development and Cloud. Good place for both senior leads who look for responsibility and junior staff chomping at the bit to get real world experience in modern software practices. My experience has been with moderate sized MSI teams of about a dozen and generally the quality has been very high. The projects generally have good challenges and opportunities for those interested in advancing their career. As I often say to my teammates, MSI projects may throw some curve balls at you, but how else can you grow and if the work was so easy the client would not be hiring you in the first place.

ConsMid career consultants who are seeking a lot of mentoring will need to be proactive as although my experience is that senior people are willing to help they are also very busy. I see travel as prerequisite for a consulting career and have no problem with it but if you are at a point in your life you need to be local a career at a boutique consulting firm may not be good for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe recent addition of your two practice managers is wise. Hopefully they both have goals and the time to build consistent collateral and practice artifacts collating the collective knowledge of the strong talent and knowledge of their teams. Modernization of the Harmony Framework would be a good project if the consultants ever get some time away from the recent flurry of challenging project work.

A great place to both learn and help others grow in their career

Principal Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI would not be where I am today without Momentum Software. They encourage developers to focus on delivering value to the customer, while seeking out fresh technologies and approaches that benefit the project.

ConsBoth a pro and a con, they tend to focus more on the technology than consulting. Great if you want to focus on the former, but they will not actively train you on growing your "soft skills" like the Big 3 will.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage developers to grow their soft skills as well as their technical skills by allowing them to shadow sales and account managers. Often only the leads are able to do this, limiting the growth potential of other developers on the team. Not all engagements allow for this, but some do and should be taken advantage of for training opportunities.

A revolving door staffing firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNone. It could be a port in the storm in these uncertain economic times.

ConsCan't seem to build or sustain long term projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of thinkers not many doers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I.T. consulting company

Consultant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMomentum pays well and has a pretty good compensation package. I've worked at some places where I had to work insane hours. Every once in a while the project required long hours but that was the exception not the norm. Many of the clients were small startups who had interesting technical challenges. Also, the organization favored the use of modern technologies - no legacy stuff to be found. The teams were generally competent with no huge ego battles like I've seen at other places. Some of the consultants were interested in traveling assignments (not me), but it's good if you're interested.

ConsLike other consulting companies the work varies - some of the clients are good - others not so good. Also, the kind of work varies from one project to the next, so you have to take the good work with the bad. In general, I found the communication to be a bit lacking. It would have been good to have gotten more information related to where the company was and various projects and staff. I like the variety of assignments but kind of missed the closeness of working with a consistent set of team members. Guess I want it both ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the communication - would have been good to know more about what was going on.

A body shop trying to be an software consultancy

Architect (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThis company has managed to stay around for a long time. It can provide programmers and architects some short-term opportunities to sharpen their SAO skills.

ConsThis is a body shop trying to be an software consultancy. Because of their size and revenue constraints they are stuck in a "cycle of poverty" relative to building any kind of consulting practice. Also they are so focused on SOA they are viewed as a "one trick pony" as far as skills and expertise is concerned. A revolving door when it comes to people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign implementation practices with a few main software suppliers.

not the worst, not the best

Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSerial short-term projects gives you exposure to various industries. Ample opportunity for travel, if you're into that.

ConsWillingness to travel is pretty much required. The quality of work done by the teams I was on was not the best. At one point they ditched the free coffee as a cost-saving measure. Yikes. Also, like much of the industry, management is over-the-top obsessed with SOA.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on core application development

Poorly managed, biased senior management, terrible overall experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMomentum Software offers a very fair benefits package and opportunities for software and IT professionals to gaine experience and skills.

ConsOverall, Momentum Software is a poorly managed company where senior management has no qualms about displaying gross favoritism. While consultants get treated alright (if they like you), management seems to forget to appreciate the people in the office who facilitate the business operations. Everything is completely disorganized, and the managements seems to have a "milk your employee for as much work as possible" attitude. I have never worked anywhere with such hypocritical individuals. While they offer you a great benefits and vacation package initially, I do not think it compensates for the awful management there. While management might be berating one employee for not working more (even though an individual had worked over 40 hours that week), other individuals might be taking 2-3 hour lunch breaks or talking on the phone half the work day. Management makes it obvious who the "favorites" are (you know, if you happen to be someone's best friend or kiss a lot of ass you might like it here). I don't feel that some of the individuals in senior management are competent enough to perform in their roles. I sympathize with the unhappy employees there, and I would never EVER encourage anyone to take a job at this miserable company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees. Running a business is not only about making money and showing up to work. I cannot support a company that does not care about its employees.

Challenging and rewarding consulting US and international assignments at the cutting edge of information technology.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsWorking on projects with great team mates on the modern leading edge of software architecture and construction, DevOps and Cloud technologies.

ConsThe fast paced culture sometimes makes it hard to get quick responses to information helpful to the execution of the engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild up the examples of the firm's best work since clients tend to be visual learners and want to see something concrete and not just abstract recommendations.

Worked for Momentum Software? Contribute to the Community!