Momentum Worldwide

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014

Momentum Worldwide Chairman and CEO Chris Weil
Chris Weil

Pros
  • Great people who are like-minded for the most part (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, including healthcare, PTO days and commuter benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management plays favorites and doesn't always know who actually does the work (in 6 reviews)

• Management's idea of work-life balance and values pended on which department or group you were in (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Chicago Recognizes Creative Talent

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director

I worked at Momentum Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

COMPENSATION & PROMOTIONS: Good talent was recognized and promoted appropriately. Over multiple years at the agency my team and I always got compensation increases.

BENEFITS : pretty strong (401K match, additional week of vacation in 3rd year). I found compensation to be on-par or above their competition.

CULTURE: Senior management realized the Chicago office lacked culture and hired a stellar leader who brought energy, excitement and a focus on creativity & own-ability to the office. Creative was also an area of emphasis for the Chicago office and multiple hires were made to bolster it's already capable chops. The Chicago office has a Culture Club that plans intramural sports teams, company outings and a few social activities within the office. There's a Ping Pong table (but it doesn't get used much) and a set of Bags/Cornhole for those times you need a little activity during the day/evening.

ON-GOING TRAINING: Momentum features a required (and very attainable) on-going training program called Momo.Edu. This is shows Momentum's belief of investing in its employees. Courses are provided (and employees are require to take 15-ish hours of them a year) on a variety of industry-related and general professionalism subjects. On more than one occasion I (middle-lowlevel management) was flown to other office to receive in-depth training. Some people dislike having to do this but I for one found it refreshing that Momentum provided ways to expand my knowledge base.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Generally speaking it was rare to pull late nights. Of course, this varies by season and project.

BRIEFING PROCESS: Momentum has a robust Briefing process. It also has an excellent way to make this digestible. When followed it is a huge strength of the company capable of delivering excellent work for its clients and is leaps and bounds better than that of any of the other agencies I've worked for.

Cons

PROMOTIONS: In my experience there were some people who were not content with the annual increases or being passed-over for promotions — though I'm sure that's the case anywhere and everywhere people miss a promotion.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: As is the case in the marketing and advertising industry, at times hours were long (especially during new business pitches). But, for the most part a worker can get through their daily work and leave at a VERY reasonable time. I did not find this to be better than most agencies.

A FEW BAD EGGS: There seems to be a few people who have too much leverage and cost great employees their jobs because of their personal dislike for that employee. As would be the case anywhere, do your due diligence to know who is someone you don't want to cross — to me, these individuals were easy to spot and I made sure to keep on their good side.

Continue to invest in current employees and bolster Creative leadership. Continue to value Culture and Excellence.

Require multiple inquires of a variety of sources before making decisions regarding people's continued employment — there were at least a few very good employees that were terminated because their personalities clashed with the wrong person. Be more thorough in reviewing these situations before making decisions.

Not a great company to work for

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Momentum Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing teammates and great manager but treated poorly by senior management and HR which is very displeasing. Very underpaid for the amount of time effort and work that we produce.

Cons

- no work life balance
    - salary and benefit packages are not competitive

work on treating your current employees better.

Smart, dynamic company evolving and changing constantly

I worked at Momentum Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great global network filled with smart talented people. Lots of opportunities for growth and to make your own path.

Cons

Subject to stupidity of the McCann Worldgroup network

Keep doing what you're doing and don't let the holding group get you down

Positive long term position

I worked at Momentum Worldwide

Pros

Elevated thru the company, was able to work on things I loved and was given multiple chances to succeed.

Cons

Short term wins career wise were tough; you really had to commit to be being there for while (4+ years) to see growth.

Dysfunctional work culture; more about the the financial gain at the expense of the employees.

Current Employee - Tour Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tour Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Momentum Worldwide as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

High-end client portfolio (will look good on resume) and able to work on creative projects.

Cons

Management's poor treatment of employees; dysfunctional and stressful work environment; lack of integrity; overworked and underpaid; less focus on keeping great talent around and more on the financial gain; projects can be very disorganized with no real direction.

Deliver on promises made and do not deceive/use employees; focus on treating your good employees well and invest in them; competitive pay.

Good place to learn

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Momentum Worldwide as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

fun people. great culture fun

Cons

mundane world load, experiential marketing

dont hire kids who have connections through daddy. they slack off and make the rest of the interns look bad

Good people - paycheck leaves a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Momentum Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who are like-minded for the most part

Cons

Feels to be a major disconnect between junior and senior-level members

Focus on the work of the people, not their popularity in the office

Great People, Fun Atmosphere

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Momentum Worldwide as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture is very fun (one of their core beliefs), the people are very welcoming and friendly, office space is cool/in a great location

Cons

I heard it's hard to move between teams, haven't had the experience myself

Continue with company education training, it's a good investment

Momentum creates compelling work, with great heart.

I have been working at Momentum Worldwide full-time

Pros

The company cares and the people are pretty great. It's a draw for those that are there and regret for those that leave. Pressures with the client make ups and downs, but there is always a positive outlook. Leadership believes the future of the industry is brighter now than ever before.

Cons

Most employees with say that Momentum invests more in its talent than any other agency they've been to. The challenge is just taking advantage.

The people are great, but the work environment is just "meh"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in New York, NY

I have been working at Momentum Worldwide as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people I met were all amazing. I enjoyed them all as individuals. IPG health benefits are excellent as well. I was able to negotiate benefits/pay, which is always nice. Leadership was always available to listen.

Cons

Strong disconnect from the office to the field. There wasn't much coaching from the office/ leadership end and everything was done in hopes of appeasing the clients vs building strong and happy employees. At end of contract, there was little direction or help in obtaining extra work. This isn't necessarily uncommon, but some effort to retain a hardworking employee would have been appreciated. It feels like everyone in the office is just so busy/overworked that some of the human details can fall through the cracks.

I think the cons speak to this.