Momentum Worldwide

Updated January 15, 2015
2.9

Momentum Worldwide Chairman and CEO Chris Weil
Chris Weil

Pros
  • Great people who are like-minded for the most part (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, including healthcare, PTO days and commuter benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management's idea of work-life balance and values pended on which department or group you were in (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management plays favorites and doesn't always know who actually does the work (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience as part of a one-off promotional tour for The Balvenie.

Former Employee - Assistant Tour Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Tour Manager

I worked at Momentum Worldwide as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment cultivated by a strong team and personal freedom. I wish the tour would've been longer.

Cons

Communication broke down at times. Also, there were more than a handful of instances that lack of proper gear made for questionable personal safety.

Potential for a Great Company and Good Place to Work

I worked at Momentum Worldwide full-time

Pros

CULTURE: They hire good people who work and play hard.

Cons

PROMOTIONS: Our team always came in the top 3 to generate more revenue each year and for the 2+ years I was employed, we only received a minimal promotion once.
    LEADERSHIP: There are great people in Senior roles that are trying to make Momentum a better company but there are also a couple that hinder the company's potential to really succeed.
    WORK-LIFE BALANCE: Our Team was understaffed for the entire duration of my employment and people left because they were being over-worked more than the norm for the company and the services it provides.
    CAREER DEVELOPMENT: Out team had lackluster management who did not care about the growth of their fellow employees.

Evaluate leadership in the NY office and really listen to employees when it comes to the countless surveys that are sent to be filled out. Hire the correct management and make sure that they attend work-shops and are reviewed on management skills several times a year to ensure positive growth. The right management isn't always the one that has been there the longest.

Not bad but not great

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Momentum Worldwide as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great if your team is great.

Cons

Clicky unless you're a social butterfly

Not a great company to work for

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Momentum Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing teammates and great manager but treated poorly by senior management and HR which is very displeasing. Very underpaid for the amount of time effort and work that we produce.

Cons

- no work life balance
    - salary and benefit packages are not competitive

work on treating your current employees better.

Chicago Recognizes Creative Talent

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director

I worked at Momentum Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

COMPENSATION & PROMOTIONS: Good talent was recognized and promoted appropriately. Over multiple years at the agency my team and I always got compensation increases.

BENEFITS : pretty strong (401K match, additional week of vacation in 3rd year). I found compensation to be on-par or above their competition.

CULTURE: Senior management realized the Chicago office lacked culture and hired a stellar leader who brought energy, excitement and a focus on creativity & own-ability to the office. Creative was also an area of emphasis for the Chicago office and multiple hires were made to bolster it's already capable chops. The Chicago office has a Culture Club that plans intramural sports teams, company outings and a few social activities within the office. There's a Ping Pong table (but it doesn't get used much) and a set of Bags/Cornhole for those times you need a little activity during the day/evening.

ON-GOING TRAINING: Momentum features a required (and very attainable) on-going training program called Momo.Edu. This is shows Momentum's belief of investing in its employees. Courses are provided (and employees are require to take 15-ish hours of them a year) on a variety of industry-related and general professionalism subjects. On more than one occasion I (middle-lowlevel management) was flown to other office to receive in-depth training. Some people dislike having to do this but I for one found it refreshing that Momentum provided ways to expand my knowledge base.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Generally speaking it was rare to pull late nights. Of course, this varies by season and project.

BRIEFING PROCESS: Momentum has a robust Briefing process. It also has an excellent way to make this digestible. When followed it is a huge strength of the company capable of delivering excellent work for its clients and is leaps and bounds better than that of any of the other agencies I've worked for.

Cons

PROMOTIONS: In my experience there were some people who were not content with the annual increases or being passed-over for promotions — though I'm sure that's the case anywhere and everywhere people miss a promotion.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: As is the case in the marketing and advertising industry, at times hours were long (especially during new business pitches). But, for the most part a worker can get through their daily work and leave at a VERY reasonable time. I did not find this to be better than most agencies.

A FEW BAD EGGS: There seems to be a few people who have too much leverage and cost great employees their jobs because of their personal dislike for that employee. As would be the case anywhere, do your due diligence to know who is someone you don't want to cross — to me, these individuals were easy to spot and I made sure to keep on their good side.

Continue to invest in current employees and bolster Creative leadership. Continue to value Culture and Excellence.

Require multiple inquires of a variety of sources before making decisions regarding people's continued employment — there were at least a few very good employees that were terminated because their personalities clashed with the wrong person. Be more thorough in reviewing these situations before making decisions.

Smart, dynamic company evolving and changing constantly

I worked at Momentum Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great global network filled with smart talented people. Lots of opportunities for growth and to make your own path.

Cons

Subject to stupidity of the McCann Worldgroup network

Keep doing what you're doing and don't let the holding group get you down

Positive long term position

I worked at Momentum Worldwide

Pros

Elevated thru the company, was able to work on things I loved and was given multiple chances to succeed.

Cons

Short term wins career wise were tough; you really had to commit to be being there for while (4+ years) to see growth.

Good place to learn

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Momentum Worldwide as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

fun people. great culture fun

Cons

mundane world load, experiential marketing

dont hire kids who have connections through daddy. they slack off and make the rest of the interns look bad

Good people - paycheck leaves a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Momentum Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who are like-minded for the most part

Cons

Feels to be a major disconnect between junior and senior-level members

Focus on the work of the people, not their popularity in the office

Great People, Fun Atmosphere

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Momentum Worldwide as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Office culture is very fun (one of their core beliefs), the people are very welcoming and friendly, office space is cool/in a great location

Cons

I heard it's hard to move between teams, haven't had the experience myself

Continue with company education training, it's a good investment