Monash University Reviews

3.7
Monash University President & Vice-Chancellor Margaret Gardner
Margaret Gardner
1 Rating

Pros
  • Strong work/life balance (9 to 5 95% of the time, basically pushed out the door after 5pm) (in 5 reviews)

• very stable working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Monash Mobility limits career progression to those with fixed term contracts > 6 months or permanent staff (in 4 reviews)

• in my 5 years of stay 40% of academic staff was culled in ECSE in 2007 and two year later fresh staff was hired (in 2 reviews)

Excellent working place

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Monash University

Pros

Family friendly, more training chance, equal working chance

Cons

job is easy, not much chanllage

A collaborative and supportive community

Current Contractor - Teaching Associate in Clayton (Australia)
    Current Contractor - Teaching Associate in Clayton (Australia)

I have been working at Monash University as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Staff are always willing to provide support and guidence to new employees. The "open-door" policy allows new staff members to feel encouraged to improve their performance while building confidence and collegiality.

Cons

Given the size of the organisation, there are a large array of practices,procedures and norms which will take some time to acclimatise to. Excellent training is provided but approaching a more senior member of the academic staff for professional mentoring/guidance is highly useful.

Advice to Management

Institute a formalised mentoring program for new employees and continue to build peer-review practices into the formalised employment contracts.

Former postdoc

Former Employee - Researcher Fellow/Postdoctoral Fellow in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Monash University

Pros

Melbourne is a nice city, though the Clayton campus is quite a long way from the city centre. I found some of the staff there quite friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

I received little meaningful mentorship. At best, I was left to my own devices and worked on my own projects. I could have achieved as much in any university.

I received little support from senior members of my school - they would not intervene on my behalf in any issues that arose.

When my contract finished, my access to all online services was cut that day. I couldn't even access my final paycheque online, or my email account, though I had been told these would remain accessible for a month.

Advice to Management

Better communication with temporary members of staff should be a priority, as should some semi-formal means of having complaints resolved. The culture in my school was so bad that people worked from home whenever possible, and I was not invited to a single school organised social event in the year that I was there. This should also be improved.

Opportunities plus

I have been working at Monash University full-time

Pros

Monash Uni has many opportunities available. Working in one area doesn't preclude you from moving sideways or being promoted to another area. It offers support programs and if you're willing to really engage, then the benefits are there. It is a privilege to be involved in producing globally recognised education and research - it's a sector that I am passionate about.

Cons

Like any large organisation sometimes approval processes can be tedious.

Love it / hate it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Monash University (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Monash for 26 years, each day brings something different, new and challenging to learn and accomplish

Cons

You either love or hate Monash, love it, you never move on, you become part of the furniture, I did!

Thanks Monash.

Current Employee - IT Tech in Clayton (Australia)
    Current Employee - IT Tech in Clayton (Australia)

I have been working at Monash University

Pros

I've been working for Monash for 5 years now and the org has looked after me and if you put in the time and energy the org rewards you for that work.
    Love it.

Cons

There could be more agility in the business when it comes to research goals.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

8. I'm happy to keep working there!

Current Contractor - Research Assistant in Clayton (Australia)
    Current Contractor - Research Assistant in Clayton (Australia)

I have been working at Monash University as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient on-site facilities and services
    Decent wages/salaries
    Good superannuation
    Employees are treated well across all levels of profession
    Equality for all
    Connections and collaborations with external organisations

Cons

Parking is not ideal around Clayton campus
    Current demolition, renovations and building works are often inconvenient
    Clayton campus is not in a great/central location

Advice to Management

Fix up the access around and through buildings while constructions are on, lower the prices of parking and make more free parking available.

WORK CULTURE NEEDS TO CHANGE

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Clayton (Australia)
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Clayton (Australia)

I worked at Monash University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The University is well resourced and has good, if somewhat faded, resources, including some of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen on a Uni campus. Library and IT are amongst the best in Australia and are well managed. The Uni grounds are good and provide a number of opportunities for walks and exercise.
    The academic culture of the Uni is variable, with some faculties being well managed and with a good work culture, whilst others do not have either.
    Library resources are amongst the best in Australia and IT seems, on the whole to be well managed.
    Students are academically good, but the University engagement with the students is unsatisfactory with poor attendance at lectures due to th difficulty of reaching the 'main' campus at Clayton and an over reliance on the recording of lectures rather than providing incentives for students to attend and thus create a collegiate environment.

Cons

he work culture in some faculties is toxic, with bullying prevalent and a command structure better suited to the Army than a University. The work allocation process is flawed and the management of multi-campus teaching not up to scratch, with the time frames expected of staff traveliing between campuses unreasonable and with a general lack of parking and other facilities provided at the city campuses

Advice to Management

look at Mangement structurees witha mind of creaitng a more collegiate work environment rather than the current `command' structure. look at medium and long term revitalization of the Clayton campus (apparently already underway) and look at ways of improving on the current mechanisms of staff engagement rather than reinforcing failing command structures.

casual

I have been working at Monash University

Pros

Academic resources, facilities, lots of friends and acquaintances. Reasonable working conditions

Cons

Difficult to get a full-time and permanent job. Constant requirement to send documentation already supplied

Advice to Management

Staff records should be better managed so that staff do not have to supply too many times same documentation.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Monash University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance. Longer lunch hour. Above average salary.

Cons

No opportunity for overtime. Paying for parking to work outer suburbs. Post huge profits but still make staff redundant.

RSS Feed </> Embed