Mondelez International

Updated November 22, 2014
3.1

Mondelez International Chairman & CEO Irene Rosenfeld
Irene Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Work life balance is okay (not the best in the industry but certainly not the worst) (in 21 reviews)

• Great brands, great history (Nabisco) and most categories are sustainable long term in the eyes of the consumer (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Worked long hours creating a difficult work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Extreme short term focus overshadowing long term goals (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Company for the young

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If your fresh out of college this is a great company to look at. The company prefers a young workforce with no experience. Excellent first Job benefits and training. Be prepared to work independently and share your success.

Cons

No college degree do not apply. Sadly company prefers college grads with no experience to sustain the future. The tactic is quite obvious. College grads are hungry for success and this company is open to that willingness to succeed as you'll do anything your asked to move forward. Managers are increasingly young. They only know company policy and do as there told. Lack experience to handle people correctly.

Work life balance, teambuilding and family first are important to the company. But sadly it seems those things only apply to folks working in locations. Folks in the field are at mercy of region or district manager. Have a problem at 6pm? Call a manager and your scolded for bothering them on personal time. Make a request of your manager......good luck. There time is more important. If your asked to do something you must do it now....now exception. Manager calls texts,or emails when your off your expected to respond...period. No more local HR. Sadly the only person you can really talk to is your manager. The family feeling and closeness has been long gone.

Not an easy job but nice perks

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Weston, FL

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not stuck to one place, good work ethic among co workers, free samples, paid transportation, lets you work independent, monthly/quarterly bonuses, challenging, meet lots of people, good benefits.

Cons

Success depends on uncontrollable factors, could have nasty customers who are always right, unrealistic support in the field, labor intensive stocking every day, anything wrong it always comes back to you, hard to move up.

Great place to work, low stress, good work life balance

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Fair Lawn, NJ
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Fair Lawn, NJ

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job is challenging yet low stress. You get recognized for your hard work and initiatives. There is always opportunity to undertake meaningful
    Project work that will get you recognition. Employees generally do not get stuck in a silo; it is possible to move between different functions.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape, making it hard to get things done without pushing. Management structure is very rigid and is difficult to break through.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Category Manager
    Current Employee - Category Manager

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love that the company is huge on work life balance, women, and minorities. I work from home and I love it! The company is perfectly ok with this as long as everything gets done. Which it
    Does!

Cons

Board of Directors is WAY too concerned with what wal street says. Our budgets are a little ridiculous.

We have to spend money on our customers and employees. It's not all about the investors sometimes.

Great Brands with No Job Security and Below Average Management

Current Employee - Associate Director in East Hanover, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Director in East Hanover, NJ

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. Brands
    2. Co workers
    3. Above average benefits and competitive compensation
    4. Encourages multi culture hiring and very friendly to women
    5. Flexible work from home schedule

Cons

1. No job security. Ongoing restructuring, high number of layoffs, performance doesn't create security, recent re org eliminated mostly men aged in the low 50's. Very very political atmosphere.
    2. Limited Career Opportunities. Layoffs eliminate positions that could offer career advancement
    3. Mid and upper middle management often have little management training and often limited understanding of their function. Decisions take too far long. Inexperience leads to heavy red tape and the bureaucracy can be overwhelming.
    4. Senior management has created a false sense of camaraderie. Meetings and town halls show us faking enthusiasm. Fear of telling it like it is. Seeming arrogance by senior leaders. No one cares that our global strategy officer also has to manage his old north american president job. Ongoing changes leaves us feeling they have no direction and just making changes to appease investors.
    5. Work life balance: 50+ hour weeks are common. Elimination of administrative assistants adds many hours of tedious work. Common to not use 10 vacation days each year. Productivity is constantly being disrupted by communication of upcoming org changes
    6. Open office structure has further reduced productivity. Everyone in a cubicle separated by 6 inch wall. You can see and hear everything everyone on the floor is doing

Live the values you publish and recognize your employees want to love this company. Stop the incessant accusations that our company's expenses are twice that of peer companies.

Horrible to it's injured workers!

Current Employee - Stationary Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Stationary Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Living wage and benefits. The jobs are very challenging and rewarding. Old world mentality with a distinct expectation towards success and profit. Independent opportunity based management processes within a total world direction.

Cons

Cut throat atmosphere with a big worry every day of injury. The career I was in was a Union Stationary Engineer position within the Portland Nabisco Plant. The job has a 200 pound repetitive lifting capacity job description. If you are injured, and you report it properly, your career will be destroyed. You will be harassed and degraded. Thank god for workers compensation laws. This company policy's for management is to treat their injured workers like the enemy. In the six years I was there, the plant manager/lower level managers and maintenance managers were changed numerous times leaving a huge divide between management and union employees.

Invest in the long term (management and lower level) employee retention. Get away from the current cutthroat safety processes towards a more self reflective responsibility platform. This Company is like so many others who do not value it's employees and focuses on giving huge bonuses to their top executives.

Not always as happy as the brands they manage

Former Employee - Brand Management in East Hanover, NJ
    Former Employee - Brand Management in East Hanover, NJ

I worked at Mondelez International (less than an year)

Pros

Mondelez certainly wants to try new things and has had some great marketing around its brands because of their willingness to work with agency partners and push forward. They allow employees to move around to different departments if they can prove a genuine interest (and get the necessary graduate education for certain roles). It's definitely a good name for the resume. Fun brands to work on. Work life balance is okay (not the best in the industry but certainly not the worst).

Cons

Some teams are great to be part of while others leave quite a lot to be desired. People are promoted because it's time rather than because they have the skills; this is particularly a problem when it comes to managing others. There are some people who truly understand the business but do not know how to manage a team yet they are managing teams and brands because they've been working for a certain number of years. The worst manager I've worked for was at Mondelez. She clearly did not know how to motivate others or foster collaboration, but in all fairness I do not believe that Mondelez ever trained her to be a good manager. There's also quite a bit of internal competition that is more about schmoozing than who is the most qualified (though this is typical of larger organizations). Along those lines, while having Mondelez on a resume shows others you're a good worker, they also assume you're cutthroat because that's the culture Mondelez portrays.

I often noticed a disconnect between my direct manager and her manager, which made it hard to do my job since they were not communicating effectively. It was to the point where I felt I should ask my manager's manager before going forward with a task because her opinion mattered more. Unfortunately I wasn't the only person who felt this way - several others in the organization saw this same disconnect within their teams making it hard to truly collaborate and understand the goals they were aiming for.

Finally, there's a lot of pressure internally to cut those margins and change downward trends. This can be kind of wearing on people and (while very important) should not be the end all be all of the company.

Don't simply train people how to do a task, but train your employees how to be effective leaders. Understand that some people (no matter how business savvy) should not lead others. Also don't allow for misalignment of goals within a single team! Focus perhaps on more open communication within teams to have thorough dialogues to clear up any issues. Lastly, know what pressures do and do not need to make their way all the way down the chain.

One of the better employer in the area

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance and excellent company core values.

Cons

Health benefits could be better and room for advancement is slow. Some veterannemployees are stuck in their ways and often difficulty to work with.

Good

I have been working at Mondelez International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance and employee friendly

Cons

Lots of changes in the company and restructuring happening all the time. Lack of process

More training and give time to your decisions to see if they are getting results before you change them .

Mondelez review

I have been working at Mondelez International

Pros

Work life balance is great.

Cons

Budget issues and constant change

Mondelez International Photos