Moneris Solutions Reviews

Angela Brown

Risk Analyst

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Moneris Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Appreicated the pro active approach when company downsized. Had a year's notice which helped make the transition a little easier.

Cons

After 23 years with company my payband was barely within medium range for my grade level.

Senior Account Manager

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Moneris Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, profit sharing and comfortable offices. Restrooms are clean. Opportunity to meet nice people from other companies on the elevator.

Cons

Toxic environment, poor interdepartmental communications and it is unfortunate because there are people that care but don't matter.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk

3. Rewarding

Current Employee - Director, Credit in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director, Credit in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Moneris Solutions

Pros

Fun, lots of opportunities for growth experience.

Cons

Major rolles limited to Canada

5. Safe Place to be

Current Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Moneris Solutions

Pros

Adequate solutions for the merchant processing market. Relaxed Management style throughout the organization and overall a low-stress place to work.

Cons

Moneris is slow to develop new technology for the market and relies very little technology to effectively run the organization.

Advice to Management

Hire or appoint a team to help increase communication throughout the organization and update technology internally/externally to effectively service the customer base.

6. I have many learning opportunities here!

Current Employee - Retail in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Moneris Solutions part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexiblility of hours is good

Cons

Very informal work environment with littles rules

Advice to Management

More rules need to be in place

7. Great company to work for and to build a career with.

Current Employee - Software Development
    Current Employee - Software Development

I have been working at Moneris Solutions

Pros

Interesting industry, latest technology, expert colleagues, great pay and benefits, great equipment and software. Moneris is also the industry leader in Canada when it comes to electronic payments so it's nice to work for #1

Cons

The biggest con is the Toronto head office location is really far from downtown so getting to the office is a bit of a trek if you live down town; if you live outside the city in the suburbs than this is probably more of a plus since you get to avoid downtown traffic.

Advice to Management

I would say in general keep up the great work, stay focused on your goals and priorities and I'm sure success will continue.

Time to abandon ship I'm going to start actively looking

I have been working at Moneris Solutions full-time

Pros

Benefits are pretty good compared to my last company, all employees are eligible for a bonus, indoor access to subway, good location if you are coming from the burbs.

Cons

Moneris' attempts to innovate are simply not keeping pace with new players in the industry. Sure we continue to secure business from huge national players because we all but give away our service but smaller businesses that actually generate revenue are increasingly finding alternatives to Moneris. Unfortunately under the current upper management setupI don't see the company ever regaining former glory. The new CEO has not made good personnel decisions and there has been a mass exodus the likes of which I haven't seen before.

Advice to Management

Rethink if you have the right people leading these big projects that are being talked about...

was better company but seems to be going off course.

Former Employee - Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Moneris Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many good, bright, well-meaning, ambitious, emotionally supportive people around me. We often went out after work and had fun. Cute guys. Flexible work schedule- good for students, mothers. Able to negotiate flexible hours or time off for good reasons - health, children etc... Dynamic, fast changing industry. Management seems genuinely concerned about success of the organization and it's people. Opportunity to learn and take on new challenges Pay, benefits OK. Nice perks. Good for first job, but don't expect big raises even with additional responsibilities and extra hours. One of few white collar employers that you can still get hired and promoted without University degree. There are many worse places to work.

Cons

New management started two years ago with big plans for re-structuring, expantion... but since then company seems to be going off course. Old president was well liked, highly respected and accesible. New executives appear lacking compassion, cliquey, distant and stay hidden in their office. Well liked, highly competent older managers have been tossed in the bin or pushed aside without expanation for apparent "personality" or "professional" disagreement. This has big effect on morale and uncertainty in line staff. Marketing, HR, customer support departments have been particularly hart hit by firings, departures and low morale. Youth and lack of experience of remaining/new staff combined with more centralized decision making, leads to poor decisions or worse... no decisions and inaction. Also fear of focking up and getting tossed has resulting in managers deferring decisions upwards.

Chain of command and responsibilities are unclear and changes often. Many people are swamped with work. Others appear to have little to do and no one seems very concern. Some managers hold on to staff even if there is no work. Some managers seem in denial that they have people working for them - no specific objectives, no oversight, minimal reviews. My manager was good, but others complained that suggestions for customer process improvements were ignored or person was labelled "poor team player" for making suggestions.

In many areas cramped, noisy working conditions, lack of work privacy space sometimes undermine ability to focus and get work done and fostered excessive chit chat. I took on new tasks, but there was little training or mentoring - had to figure stuff or make up as I went. I kept hearing HR talking about training, but never got much - nothing relevant. Sexist and abusive behavior from some individuals - unfortunately expected at workplace, but sometimes excessive to the point of creepy. (I never reported, so should not complain) They do employee surveys but stopped giving results or explain what they do to address issues.

As mentioned elsewhere, ethical issues about informing customers about their contracts and cancellation provisions. However in Moneris' defense, no one mentions the crap that customer's try to pull and they have to protect themselves.

Advice to Management

1) slow down
    2) show more compassion, come meet your staff more often, ask them what are their issues, let them ask questions; give genuine answers; admit that there are problems and how we can address them!
    3) work with what you have; stop treating staff like pawns on chessboard; things may not be working perfectly as you want them, but firing and moving people around sometimes just make things worse and destabalizes and incentive for those remaining
    4) Hire more selectively and spend more to attract and retain good people - good people will leave if they bust their butts, work through lunches, take on new responsibilities then get a good review and big 2%. raise.
    5) balance emphasis and resources on new projects - there is often more value on getting day to day interaction with customer working properly; evaluate projects on on-going basis to make sure that project still makes sense as market needs changes and new industry information is available. Ask yourself is this project part of company mission or or we spending buckets of money chasing a market that does not exist in in area that we have little expertise.

Moneris Solutions Response

Mar 18, 2015Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We especially appreciate that you took the time to provide a balanced and comprehensive perspective, highlighting both successes and areas of opportunity for the ... More

Great company to work for with a lot of opportunity!

Current Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Moneris Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Started my role as a intern and received a full-time role in 3 months
    - Opportunity to grow and advance (many roles are filled internally)
    - Friendly and collaborative

Cons

- Location however it is connected directly to the TTC underpass

Moneris Solutions Response

Mar 4, 2015Recruitment Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. Your rise from intern to full-time employee is one of our success stories. We’ve worked hard to provide an environment that’s “friendly and collaborative.” And yes, we’re ... More

Used to be a good place

I have been working at Moneris Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good for experience and easy to get in
    can learn a lot about payments industry

Cons

short-term focus
    lack of direction from management

Moneris Solutions Photos