Monetate

Monetate Founder, President & CEO David Brussin

David Brussin

On the up and up.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Conshohocken, PA

ProsHQ has plenty of perks, free lunch, open environment, pet friendly. Co-workers are intelligent and there's a relatively friendly atmosphere.

ConsStructure and direction could be stabilized a bit better. It would be nice to have a 401k match, individual benefits are free (not great) but I hear family benefits are sub par.

Fantastic company... that is stumbling a bit.

Sales Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIncredible technology (that works, very well), great marketplace presence, fantastic service support, tremendous value proposition & ROI for clients, unique company culture - particularly out of Philly, and well structured internal hierarchy

ConsBuckle your seatbelt Salespeople: Consistently changing territories, comp plans, marketing messaging, and leadership. Questionable, impulsive decisions made at the top, with little loyalty to those in the field. A pivot in focus from core competency to derivative products in the marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to what made the organization so successful in the first place: Innovation, strong sales & marketing leadership with a steady hand and clear course for the future. Avoid distractions from the board, competition, other markets. Get back on track, quickly, and trust those most loyal to the organization for input.

Couldn't agree more... great company, but seemingly headed downward

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsAll the perks any 20-something employee could want. Some talented people who fly under the radar (and in some cases, left the company). Everyone is super-friendly and for the most part genuine.

ConsHard to work at a company where 95% year-over-year growth isn't good enough. Company also measured success by how many people they employed. Seemed like a goal of more revenue (and profit) was overshadowed by just hiring more people to do the same, or less, work. The negative comments here about marketing are somewhat ironic now that yet another member of senior management is no longer there. Those "fancy" infographics drove tremendous awareness in a crowded space and, in many cases, new business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On the down and down

ProsDecent work-life balance depending on your role, good healthcare (for individuals), free lunches, and convenient if you live in Center City as it's located on the R6.

ConsIn the last 18 months, Monetate has lost a CFO, CMO, COO, and Vice Presidents of Sales, Delivery, Marketing, and People. That kind turnover is neither random nor an accident, and knowing that all of these high-level people have left (most of them voluntarily), prospective employees should question their interest in working there.

The CEO's arrogance prevents him from selecting the leadership this company really needs, and working with those people in relationships based on mutual respect. He has taken this company as far as he can (and as far as it will go). I agree with the other poster who said the Board has let this company down. Shame on you for witnessing all of this and doing nothing to address the problems and policies that have dragged a once-great company downward.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe person who needs it won't take it.

A company that's been let down by its own Board of Directors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent healthcare plan. Free lunches, company parties twice a year, casual dress. In general, employees are friendly to one another, and despite the Cons below, there are a lot of smart people who work hard for the company and for their coworkers.

ConsMonetate's culture is built on the belief that if you want great people who will work hard, all you have to do is make them happy. As it turns out, though, Monetate has a lot of people who are happy to miss deadlines, ship bad code late, drink beer at lunch, ride around on scooters, and do push-ups at their desk. The best people started tossing in the towel 6 months ago, and it's been a steady stream since.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find what once made the company the best in Philadelphia to work for: commitment, dedication, and no tolerance for excuses. To be clear, though, I'd pin the blame for this not on the Leadership team, but rather the do-nothing Board of Directors.

Four Stars: improvement is ALWAYS possible.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Conshohocken, PA

ProsPrimarily populated by passionate, emotionally intelligent, respectful, smart folks who care deeply about integrity in life and work. Hackers in every department - perpetually looking for and often finding work-arounds for complex problems.

ConsI'd like to see an expansion of the benefits package but think this is in the works.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving, learning, and growing as leaders.

Talented coworkers were a joy to work with, but senior management was not up to the task.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were opportunities to learn and improve every day. Work-life balance wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. My coworkers were pleasant and highly competent overall.

ConsDecision making at the very highest levels was consistently poor and the business model is questionable.

Getting ready for the next level

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Conshohocken, PA

ProsGood people, good work environment, hard problems. Nice perks like free lunch. Met lots of people I would work with again in a heart beat.

ConsManagement needs to acknowledge their deficiencies and ask for help outside of their zone of comfort. Benefits for families are lacking. Room for growth seems to be unnecessarily restricted. Real performance feedback cannot be obtained from managers.

A company in flux.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong reputation in the industry. Good working environment and nice office culture. Encouraged to work independently, not micromanaged. Nice employee perks and a culture that seemed to favor work-life balance for employees.

ConsConstantly changing strategic direction. While one expects some volatility in a start-up environment, there were numerous changes made which were inconsistent with the long term goals and philosophy of the company.

Great Place to Work

Javascript Engineer (Current Employee) Conshohocken, PA

ProsAmazing work environment: cool office, flex time, unlimited vacations, great benefits (price of health insurance recently came down significantly), free catered lunch every day. Lots of smart and interesting coworkers. Incredible growth which provides opportunities for career advancement within the company. Their philosophy is to hire good people and then empower them and it seems to be working.

ConsThere is no 401k matching.

Worked for Monetate? Contribute to the Community!