MoneyGram International

Be The First To
Add Photos

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley

Pamela H. Patsley

Pros:
  • "The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a lack of communication between managers, conflicting goals, lack of continuity, more focusing on placing blame than getting the job done"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Lots of politics within the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Be careful with Moneygram HR department

Dallas, TX

ProsCo workers are good people for the most part
    Nice & new offices to work
    Pay is good

ConsShady HR department
    Don't hire from within
    All departments work separately, neither knows about changes coming

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware of HR department, they would rather fire an employee bringing up a problem than try to fix that problem.

Make sure middle management has basic knowledge of Microsoft office and are able to do their jobs without help from subordinates.

Don't waste your time or get your hopes up about this company.

Systems Control Analyst (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Nice People at Middle Management and Down

Cons- Hiring Practices are sketchy
    - They will string you along with hiring and promotions and then turn you down
    - No one in Management can make a decision by themselves.
    We had one person meet with 13-15 people and she didn't get the job because she couldn't impress an administrative assistant. The job was in IT. That is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour IT department should no answer to anyone other that IT and the CEO. If you hire and promote by committee then you are robbing yourself of good people.

Great Company to work for.

ProsGood work environment. Senior Executives easily accessible. Empower employees

ConsNo career growth opportunities. Different departments work in isolation

Advice to Senior ManagementFor different projects, please form project groups with members from each department to ensure products that are relevant.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for entry level or unambitious workers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's OK for a few years if you can get several quick promotions.

ConsIt's frustrating working with a lot of incompetent people who are only there because they can't make it at better companies. The executive's hypocrisy, greed, and propaganda is unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking ridiculous bonuses and pay your employees competitive wages. Maybe you could retain the good ones, and increase the company's value.

This place is a cluster of epic proportions

Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsThe pay is good, and the health benefits are "competitive". Every day, there's a team buying lunch, so just hang around till 1:00pm and you'll eat for free. Every. Day.

ConsThere is absolutely no accountability. There are so many departments and pockets of management that if/when something does break, it's a group problem.

If you start something, and you don't feel like finishing it, just stop talking about it. It goes away naturally. You don't have to finish anything, ever.

You'll see people who have been working there for 10+ years. You might think that they are still there because of their adaptability to change. Wrong. Their number 1 goal is status quo.

If you are right out of college, stay away. You'll develop the absolute worst habits. You'll have the following permanently imprinted into your brain: That's not my job <or> That's the way we've always done it.

As far as learning good habits or a good approach to development or testing, forget about it. You had more process in your senior design group......in high school. I guarantee it. It's the wild west.

You may be thinking you can change this, that you're level headed and can guide them to the light. Unfortunately, change requires you to work across all of the useless departments they have. Those departments are a) ultra protective of what they do, and b) won't help (see above note on "not my job"). Basically, not only will they not help you, but they'll in fact prevent you from trying to change anything. See note above on maintaining status quo.

They waste money. From food to unused software licenses to unnecessary travel.

It is a revolving door of resignations of people at Lead position or below. It has slowed a little bit, but that's because the bonus is right around the corner.

It's almost worth working there, just to see the show. On second thought, this last statement may belong up under "pros".

Advice to Senior ManagementMost people in Director and VP roles were replaced in the last 2 years so that change could happen. People in Lead positions and below quit out of frustration. The people in the middle -- managers and "senior" managers -- are the ones who set the tone. Not coincidentally, they're also the ones that have been there the longest.

You want change? Get rid of those piano tuners.

very disappointed

Brooklyn Center, MN

Prossalary and benefits were pretty good

ConsVery high stress company/culture. Management is out of reach. Training was poor and no procedures are documented anywhere.

Customer and employee focused

Lakewood, CO

ProsThe first few years of employment, I definitely had a good sense that the company was customer and employee focused. They did a lot to keep the employees satisfied including various raffles, parties, bbqs, etc.
    Satisfied customers were what kept the company in business so customer satisfaction was key. Training was extensive for employees and employees were rewarded periodically for their customer interaction excellence.

ConsCompany underwent various reorganizations so focus and structure has altered quite a bit.

Decent company and good local management

Denver, CO

ProsGood people, good work environment with the opportunity to advance however they decided to mostly leave the Denver area

ConsLow pay, odd hours, bad location for a headquarters and old outdated systems being used

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give the run around to your local management and staff. Spend some time, research and money updating systems and processes.

Best Money Transfer Service Worldwide

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsProvides much needed competition for Western Union by offering superior competitive services at a lower cost. Without MoneyGram, Western Union would surely be able to have nearly a monopoly and would charge higher fees for its services. The ability to work remotely can save money on gas. I like that my desk phone is a direct number so I don't have to give an extension like I have at some companies I have worked for in the past. Having an attached parking ramp to park in for free is definitely a plus. While I might miss the skyway in downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, I do not miss the high priced parking they have.

ConsBenefits could be better as health co-payment are higher than any place I have ever worked before. There is way too much management and not enough people to do the real work in IT. Too many people in too little of space as they are moving people from other floors to one. Cubicles are inadequate for some jobs for the work involved.

I worked at MGI only one year because I needed additional part-time income

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Lakewood, CO

ProsMy supervisor was great...always encouraging. She always took time during reviews to build me up and give me suggestions for continued improvement.

ConsFor me, sitting at a computer on the phone all day gets old. If I had stayed with them I would have tried to move to something other than front line customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some way for employees to explore possible career paths within the company that seem to fit their strengths and passion(s) based on testing.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MoneyGram International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MoneyGram International CEO Pamela H. Patsley. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by MoneyGram International employees.