MoneyGram International

Be The First To
Add Photos

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley

Pamela H. Patsley

Pros:
  • "The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a lack of communication between managers, conflicting goals, lack of continuity, more focusing on placing blame than getting the job done"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Lots of politics within the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worst place to work

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsNothing that I could think of.

Cons1) Always change in the management
    2) The leadership team never works hard and is not working towards adding value to the company. They always think about their personal gains.
    3) The leaders form a cozy club. They provide new career opportunities, promotion and pay rise among themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire and respect good resources. Without good resources no company will survive

The Management is not interested in their employees at all. If you have any question, idea, issue they do not want it.

Minneapolis, MN

ProsVacation, a lot when you first start.

ConsNo leadership, No communication, No flexibility, No employee interest, a lot of "leadership" talking behind employees backs with other employees and promotions are given to cover quota not filling with employee's by qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees. The ones who do the day to day are the ones you should be getting advice from. Be more involved in their personal lives you have a lot of good people who have everyday issues just like you do but because they are not at your level they do not have the flexibility you do.

The promise of investing in your career is a pipe dream. Outsourcing to India is wide spread and increasing

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsLike the airline management team that decided to save $2 million annually by reducing the number of tomatoes in salads, the mgmt team at MoneyGram continues to reduce and cut benefits. If you enjoy India contractors talking in Hindustani (or one of the other 22 regional India languages) constantly around you when you are trying to work, then MoneyGram is the place for you.

ConsManagement says they care about their employees while their actions are completely opposite. More FTE jobs being outsourced in the name of increasing shareholder value. Work environment is set up so terribly it's nearly impossible to focus and get any work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll suggestions to management are ignored, so why bother?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's all about MoneyGram

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people in the trenches are great, hard-working, smart, innovative, adaptable, etc. There is a strong work ethic, and in the 'right' department, you will find a work family.

ConsSalaried employees will find they are on call 24/7. The company is filled with many new employees or even long-term employees who never received proper training and thereby suck the life out of anyone with any knowledge of how the business actually works or how to resolve complex issues. MoneyGram does not care about or value its employees as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementShipping all the operations jobs overseas won't work well and dangling the 'promise' of a nice little package (so the current employees will stay to train their replacements) at the end without actually inking the deal is not conducive to a collaborative, effective environment and transition. The learning curve is vertical.

Dysfunctional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternational business activity; complex industry

ConsLack of consistent message from upper management. Disrespectful culture.

Compliance Analyst

Prosits a decent company, but that is sadly the best thing

ConsDO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.... Employees and managers are bad

Advice to Senior Managementknow what you are doing and hire more non lazy people...... Management need more training

Don't go there unless you are unemployed

(Current Employee)
    Rome (Italy)

ProsSince it is an understaffed company lacking of a structured organization you will be asked to take accountability in several tasks ranging from strategy to poorly administrative stuff. In my perception, coming from a well structured multinational, very far from being considered a real Pros, in MG in very few months you'll be able to put your hands in almost every topic of your department. Careful! I said put your hands and not manage...

ConsAbsence of any kind of organizational structure. Absence of any mid/long term view. Very bad company climate and morale. Cost saving attitude which is generating two major kind of issues: 1) no interest in upgrading a system which should be central in the service marketed and it is indeed creating huge problems 2) chronic understaffing which is generating a poor execution in delivering any kind of activity

In one sentence: inadequate management for a company which would need a great effort to survive in a tough competitive arena

Advice to Senior ManagementStart applying a real long term view unless you wanna bankrupt this company in less than 10 year.
    There is a huge work to do in different areas (staff management- organizational - IT) and it is probably too late already; start focusing where it really matters.

cost cutting is decimating customer service and innovation

Lakewood, CO

ProsSome really great people, if you get the right manager, it's better. Depending on the manager and the position, some people get some flexibility with work hours.

Consnarrow focus, short sighted, high turnover. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. narrow focus on numbers means the company is losing sight to longer term goals and aspirations. Actually, I don't think the company has aspirations. Right now, it's only about survival. Day to day survival.

Advice to Senior ManagementNarrow the distance from top to bottom. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Stop hiring at the top until you have filled positions at the middle and bottom.

Don't waste your time or get your hopes up about this company.

Systems Control Analyst (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Nice People at Middle Management and Down

Cons- Hiring Practices are sketchy
    - They will string you along with hiring and promotions and then turn you down
    - No one in Management can make a decision by themselves.
    We had one person meet with 13-15 people and she didn't get the job because she couldn't impress an administrative assistant. The job was in IT. That is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour IT department should no answer to anyone other that IT and the CEO. If you hire and promote by committee then you are robbing yourself of good people.

This place is a cluster of epic proportions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsThe pay is good, and the health benefits are "competitive". Every day, there's a team buying lunch, so just hang around till 1:00pm and you'll eat for free. Every. Day.

ConsThere is absolutely no accountability. There are so many departments and pockets of management that if/when something does break, it's a group problem.

If you start something, and you don't feel like finishing it, just stop talking about it. It goes away naturally. You don't have to finish anything, ever.

You'll see people who have been working there for 10+ years. You might think that they are still there because of their adaptability to change. Wrong. Their number 1 goal is status quo.

If you are right out of college, stay away. You'll develop the absolute worst habits. You'll have the following permanently imprinted into your brain: That's not my job <or> That's the way we've always done it.

As far as learning good habits or a good approach to development or testing, forget about it. You had more process in your senior design group......in high school. I guarantee it. It's the wild west.

You may be thinking you can change this, that you're level headed and can guide them to the light. Unfortunately, change requires you to work across all of the useless departments they have. Those departments are a) ultra protective of what they do, and b) won't help (see above note on "not my job"). Basically, not only will they not help you, but they'll in fact prevent you from trying to change anything. See note above on maintaining status quo.

They waste money. From food to unused software licenses to unnecessary travel.

It is a revolving door of resignations of people at Lead position or below. It has slowed a little bit, but that's because the bonus is right around the corner.

It's almost worth working there, just to see the show. On second thought, this last statement may belong up under "pros".

Advice to Senior ManagementMost people in Director and VP roles were replaced in the last 2 years so that change could happen. People in Lead positions and below quit out of frustration. The people in the middle -- managers and "senior" managers -- are the ones who set the tone. Not coincidentally, they're also the ones that have been there the longest.

You want change? Get rid of those piano tuners.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MoneyGram International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MoneyGram International CEO Pamela H. Patsley. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by MoneyGram International employees.