MoneyGram International Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
133 reviews filtered by

So-so

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Decent PTO and free coffee I guess.

Cons

Poor communication. Upper management so cut off from the rank and file that it's not even funny anymore. Tone deaf leaders pretending everything is normal as the ship sails for Poland. This company is sinking quickly.

Advice to Management

Management would never listen to advice.

2. Learning how the company works and how interesting it is to talk to different nationalities.

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When you are trying to help people out there are so many people who are just great at misleading other people, and when we could help solve peoples problems and save them money it felt great.

Cons

Listening to people, and finding out what a business is up to if they are legitimate with there clients and the people that work for them. Time off could be negative and this happens at so many call centers. For example you have time off called ( PTO )paid time off but you come to work you are lucky if you have PTO because you can use it. But if you don't and you are sick if you don't call in 24 hours ahead of time to let them know you are sick, and you happen to show up at work and you become ill, throwing up for example and you tell them you need to go home you can occur an occurrence and they may give you a warning other times they will write you up for being ill. Because you didn't give them a 24 hour notice. How are you supposed to know that you are going to be ill. Sometimes you have know idea what your body is going to do. The company is closing and we are all getting laid off.

Advice to Management

When you are training someone. And you have them training side by side with someone, for the duration of the training let them sit with that one person always. You confuse people when you have them sit with different people and you get them all mixed up everyone trains differently. If they learn from just one person they learn their techniques and their skills, but when you try to train with different people everyday they each have a different way of doing their job and you loose the person that you are training it becomes difficult learning from one person to the next. For time off policies I understand we get sick but if someone is trying to come to work even though they are ill and you can see that they are ill. Management should recognize that. They were there sometimes the illness can carry to other employees as well. Send those people home.

Ok work environment

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with outlets around the world in legl compliance, team atmosphere and training opportunities in the legal/compliance field.

Cons

The upper management never really provided much feedback on work. Many of my colleagues spent the day applying for other jobs .

Advice to Management

Give more feedback on work.

Toxic, toxic environment.

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

After more than 22 years, my job is coming to an end on December 31st, and is being outsourced to Poland. What a great company it used to be. Now, the only ones to get a promotion are those in senior management.

Cons

Lots of turnover, little training, low pay, small merit increases.

Advice to Management

Management: I know you're committed to outsourcing most of the positions, but do you have any idea how much experience is walking out the door?

A True Disaster right here in Texas!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paycheck, coffee, restroom, and pens.

Cons

High Benefits, low salary, unorganized, treat the employees like garbage, no career growth, 48% turnover, constant lay-offs after you just started.

Advice to Management

Wake Up! Stop collecting your millions in salary and leave without getting involved with your employees. Read these reviews! Moneygram is a horrific place to work. Horrible HR department! The only HR Department that don't care about their employees.
    Stacking 20 people in a conference room to work with no work space for them. No training, no development, no interest in their growth. If 9 out 10 of your reviews are bad then you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure THERE IS A PROBLEM!

Not great

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Frisco, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working hours are flexible in many cases, friendly atmosphere, company has operations in over 200 countries, experience add good value to your resume.

Cons

poor organization structure, lack of communication, salaries are very low, space is cramped up, benefits and add ons are poor

Advice to Management

Improve organization structure and communication at all levels

Good work environment and benefits

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A nice place to work for a few years, adds decent experience to add to your resume with a well known international company.

Cons

Disorganized. Not much opportunity to advance in your career, especially the last few years. Government regulations and fuzzy guidance from upper management hurting the company.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the steps being taken to try to improve the company. Compliance shouldn't be used as an excuse to make the customer experience worse.

Challenging place to work. CEO to leave company after contract expires within 12 months!

Current Employee - Legal Counsel in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some great people to socialize with, good friends, and easy to warm up to due to work uncertainty in every department. Great office location to jump on Tollway and quickly....

Cons

Prospective employees lured in with money only to regret being there with a short time frame. Western Union management lured over to suffer from pressure that Company is dwindling slowly (see revenues sinking and stock price shedding ground!). Management couldn't foresee WalMart disaster coming their way like a train at 100mph!

Advice to Management

Best of luck and keep your resumes updated!

BEWARE! NEVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. There was nothing ever that was positive at MoneyGram. I deeply regretted accepting the position after the first week. I have never been so disappointed.

Cons

Culture is awful. No one talks to each other. They recruited me and five months later laid me off due to a reorg. This company is DYSFUNCTIONAL.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people to just lay them off 5 months later.

Ok company to start your career

Current Employee - MKT in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - MKT in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy going management (at least mine), Work schedule,

Cons

No Training at all, upper management dont even look at the regular employees. Every department tries to sabotage the other. Be ready to work with VPS that really dont know what they are doing.
    New employees come and leave pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

Management should listen to the Professionals they hire. Company lets some VPS spend all the money on products that dont offer no returns.