MoneyGram International Reviews

Reset

Lack of Career Advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, MO

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Life and work balance. Multicultural enviroment

Cons

Lack of career development. The majority of management positions are held by men. Bureaucratic company.

Advice to Management

Better implementation of strategies. Great ideas for mentoring and career development but they are not implemented well across the company specially outside the HQ (Dallas). Need more mentors and not managers across the organization.

Jul 2, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your honesty in the concerns you raise. We are also open to hear what you view as pros to working at MoneyGram. We are striving to create new solutions for ... More

Seems to have accepted reality of declining position

Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, laid back atmosphere and a good cooperative cross-functional environment. Committed to their customer base and many are true believers in the good their product provides.

Cons

Slow to move on initiatives, limited vision. Many in the organization are comfortable with where the company is and there does not seem to be much willingness at all to take calculated risks

Not very good place to work

Former Employee - AML Compliance
    Former Employee - AML Compliance

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to learn new tasks by yourself.

Cons

Procedures are not defined. Performance controls are based someones opinion. There are no defined metrics. Poor morale. Outsourcing a lots of sensitive services.

Advice to Management

Please retire.

Watch out for offshoring!

I worked at MoneyGram International

Pros

Great people to work with. Fantastic manager and supervisors. They gave a very good severance package though.

Cons

Was a far more employee friendly prior to 2008. Many benefits disappeared started in 2008, even small things such as cookies at Christmas. Thanksgiving turkey gift cards, etc.... Upper management is totally out of touch with the average employee and also they really have no idea on how to proceed with the current restructure of offshoring 500+ operations and technical employees to Poland, Mexico, Bulgaria, total mess. I'd watch this company in the near future, wouldn't be surprised if it goes under. The CEO needs to step away from her throne and see what is actually happening with the organization. They really don't follow the values they proclaim and hold the rest of the employees accountable to.

Advice to Management

Try communicating with actual managers and not just your senior directors and above to get an idea of what is actually going across your company. Really poor morale there. Senior management needs to come back down from their "penthouse mentality" and bring back a more employee friendly company where employees feel the company actually cares.

Jul 8, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are sorry to hear about your experience. At MoneyGram , we encourage open communication and are constantly looking to improve on overall transparency. Your opinion matters to us and we will take ... More

Good company in a rapidly changing business.

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

The company has a great team of talented people with no shortage of revenue growth opportunities. The company strategy is well aligned to the changing market place.

Cons

With a rapidly changing marketplace for its products and having many opportunities to capitalize, MGI must continually work to maintain focus and execute well.

Jul 8, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We're glad to hear about your positive experience with your coworkers. We try to hire top notch talent, and it's nice to hear when we get it right!

Not the greatest place to work

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International

Pros

Great global footprint. No 2 or 3 in world size wise. Great people. Good Coffee.

Cons

Cutbacks, layoffs, senior management do not seem to be able to effectively manage the global organization. it is a very miserable place to be with limited benefits, pay increases, little to no bonus, no share options paid out in past 3 years. Very troubled company

Advice to Management

Recognize where you are out of your depth and move on.. Bring in new leadership team with the ability to turn the business around

Worked at MoneyGram for many years and gained valuable experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the company's greatest asset...some of the best I've ever worked with.

Cons

Communication of changes can be more effective and in a more timely manner.

Advice to Management

Rethink the decision at some point in the future of outsourcing the call center to a foreign country.

if you can avoid it, JUST DO!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at MoneyGram International

Pros

co-workers were great, felt like family

Cons

micro-management, most of the supervisors were stupid and had no clue about what they were doing, stabbing each other in the back is a norm there. upper management dumps a lot of work on employees, very poor decisions, their restructuring plan is dramatically failing, somebody at the top is trying to save their high paying jobs by asking people, who were laid off, to come back! I have never seen anything like that before! Position descriptions are lies, when they actually hire you, they will dump everything possible on you for a low pay

Advice to Management

treat the people who work under you as human beings with families and lives!!! that's why MG is having a very hard time finding people who want to work there!

Jul 2, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Hello and thank you for your review. Our employees are very valuable to us here at MoneyGram, and we're always looking to make improvements as a company and as an employer.

Team-oriented, employee-oriented organization with an opportunity for work-life balance!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work-Life Balance - opportunity to work from home, as appropriate - Business Process Improvement focus - many global projects, with opportunity to work directly on change management initiatives - Personal Growth - opportunities for advancement, if you perform well - Benefits - Great improvement in total Benefits package this year (2015) - inexpensive medical premiums, with a lower deductible than last year; 4 weeks for vacation/sick/personal; 10 paid holidays; nice company 401k match - definitely stronger than 2014! - Communication - New employee intranet site - increased visibility into organization, more direct communication to employees

Cons

Multiple legacy systems for employee information. However, company is getting new global platform in 2nd quarter 2015, so that will be changing soon.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with employees, and to listen to employee feedback. It is working!

Global complaints specialist

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Company provides 401k plans, health, dental and vision coverage. Multicultural environment.

Cons

Due to outsourcing, majority of the US based positions are being sent overseas. The focus on the bottom line overpowers the quality of work and employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed