MoneyGram International

www.moneygram.com
Employer Engaged

Excellent people to work with. It went down the tube after the financial fiasco.

I worked at MoneyGram International

Pros

I loved the people I worked with including my boss. We all helped each other. It was very multilingual and multicultural and loved the atmosphere. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay raise was almost close to nothing every year. Upper management didn't really care about us little people. All they cared about their bottom line.

Nothing. They are outsourcing everything.

Overpromised, under deliver and can't stop tripping over themselves...

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive for my level...Work is something interesting and challenging.

Cons

In-fighting between the business and IT. No communication within the IT org among the execs - seriously, they sit on the same floor in the same building but they don't communicate. The politicking is horrendous. It is like being in Washington DC.

If you had to send a business analyst to one of your sites to ask why people are leaving....wow. Minds are blown all over the place...really?

MGI SUCKS TOO MANY POLITICS AND RACIST

Current Contractor - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Current Contractor - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Hmmm can't think of any

Cons

Managers never hold anyone accountable and tends to fire a lot of people of color although they are the ones doing the majority of the work... If you want to get promoted good luck if you are not kissing upper-management butt... Trainers suck and tend to have less experienced then 85% of employees.. The company continues hiring individuals who have no experience in the role they are doing and thus making FTE pick up the slack.... Management continues to develop so called tools that help employees but only slows us down... Company is just bad what else can I say... Nobody respects management

Stop picking favorites and do your damn job. Fire the correct individuals and promote the workers busting their butt and doing the job correctly. Why have team leads if they are idiots. Also learn to be managers and manage. Most the time managers tend to look down on hard working employees who put in the hours but they have other employees who walk around gossip and talk for hours at their desk and they still have their job.

Total chaos!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Organization is heading to chaos.

Cons

The organization is a mess after CEO decided to relocate the HQ from Minneapolis to Dallas, and outsource many positions out of the country. Minneapolis employees were left in limbo after the move/outsourcing, and many if not all, will be losing their jobs. Leadership does not seem to know where the company is heading, probably towards chaos, after they collect their high bonuses and salaries and leave the company. The new positions at the new HQ in Dallas seem to be now performed by clueless individuals with absolutely no knowledge or experience, after long tenured and industry experienced employees were eliminated in Minneapolis. Stay away of this organization!

Quit now!

Worst place to work

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing that I could think of.

Cons

1) Always change in the management
    2) The leadership team never works hard and is not working towards adding value to the company. They always think about their personal gains.
    3) The leaders form a cozy club. They provide new career opportunities, promotion and pay rise among themselves.

Please hire and respect good resources. Without good resources no company will survive

The Management is not interested in their employees at all. If you have any question, idea, issue they do not want it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation, a lot when you first start.

Cons

No leadership, No communication, No flexibility, No employee interest, a lot of "leadership" talking behind employees backs with other employees and promotions are given to cover quota not filling with employee's by qualifications.

Start listening to your employees. The ones who do the day to day are the ones you should be getting advice from. Be more involved in their personal lives you have a lot of good people who have everyday issues just like you do but because they are not at your level they do not have the flexibility you do.

Dysfunctional, Archaic Culture, Little Direction

Former Employee - IT in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT in Dallas, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

There are some nice people,

Cons

This has to be one of the most archaic cultures you will find. If you want long hours, below market compensation, only 6 paid holidays and poor, indecisive, but secretive elitist management, then this is the place for you. Consider working there at your own risk. It will seem fine going in, but you will quickly question your decision. They are hiring because the turnover is high and their compensation is below market for nearly all of their roles. I was in IT and I saw and heard how disgruntled the full-time workers were throughout the company with salary, benefits and the micromanaging culture. Also, the Wal-Mart impact is bigger than what they are telling everyone. They are going to layoff and outsource jobs soon.

Not sure what you can tell people who get paid a ton of money and won't listen or pay attention to what they see, namely the high turnover.

Cost cutting - To what end

Current Employee - Technical Support in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Brooklyn Center, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall, the co-workers I deal with are great. My supervisors over the last 10+ years have been pretty good. Benefits are not bad.

Cons

Benefits have steadily eroded since I joined. Less vacation time. Higher premiums for Insurance. Fewer opportunities. Fewer paid holidays.

Morale is horrible throughout the company.

Information is sketchy and rumors spread like wildfire.

Weak executive leadership that is absolutely horrible at communicating with customers or employees.

Lack of direction. Trying to react to market with "me too" solutions. No innovation.

Outmoded systems.

Total lack of respect for front-line employees.

Get a clue. Quit thinking about your next bonus and the next quarter. Maybe it is time to think long - term strategy. This is a business that will likely boom as more and more people in the US are forced away from the traditional banking system. But you won't be part of it if you lose your biggest and best customers today.

Worked for MoneyGram 15 years...currently for online product

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Rapidly growing company, helps many people. I have awesome coworkers and a great relationship with my department leadership. Talk to a wide range of customers every day.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement. The company seems to be moving away from an emphasis on customer service toward company-wide cost cutting. It is a shame so many people must lose their jobs in the next year.

Moving jobs outside US can't be the only way to cut costs. I predict fraud and chargeback rate will skyrocket. Keep MGO operations in US.

It's 'okay'...I guess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Mostly good people, good pay, decent benefits, good PTO offering. Committed to compliance and consumer education regarding scams.

Cons

Limited number of company Holidays (6), always reactive versus proactive when responding to the competitive landscape, little to no visibility into upper management, lots of politics throughout the company, lack of communication throughout company. Company culture doesn't seem to have been fully defined - it seems to differ by department.

Work to better establish the company culture. Offer more training to develop leaders/managers in the company.