MongoDB Reviews

Reset
4.5
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week (in 4 reviews)

• Great team of very smart people and an exciting environment to work in with a great product (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Being a fast growing company means frequent changes and occasional left turns (in 6 reviews)

Gaining Momentum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I see nothing but positive trends over the last few months. The company is gaining a lot of momentum under the new CEO. There has been a deep restructuring in the sales organization, making it vastly more efficient and competitive. This must have been tough for many in that part of the company, explaining some of the recent critical reviews. But the work environment is still excellent, this is an awesome bunch of people to work with. A-players everywhere. Engineering is much more open these days, accepting input and sharing what they are doing.

Cons

Quite honestly, I can't think of any downsides, except perhaps that disrupting a market is never a sure thing. Right now, things are looking great for this company, but whether the mission is ultimately a success is always up in the air. Not the place where you can lean back and rest assured you will always be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going.

2. Smart people but big engineering/non-engineering divide

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of talented people
    Pay is on the higher end of industry standards for non-tech jobs
    Technology that's truly changing the world

Cons

Executive management lacks transparency
    Lack of priority placed on non-technical employees
    Culture sometimes gets pushed aside for non-engineering teams in rush to make budgets/financial targets

Still here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

I've been here for over 2 years & still going strong. There has been some movement within the company but that is expected from a growing startup. Engineering has always looked strong. Sales looks stronger than ever. The impressive HR team has double the company since i've joined and is looking to double it again soon.

Cons

Learn to slow down and take it all in. There won't be anyone there to stop you from overworking!

Advice to Management

The new shift is promising. Keep @ it!

Sales as a competitive advantage...

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- CEO & CRO are 100% committed to building a salesforce that is as much a competitive advantage as the MongoDB technology. They have done it before at BladeLogic and for a few years at BMC so have a track record of success in this area.

- Virtually impossible to find another company that is growing this fast and operating in this big a market ($35B market) where you can still get in on the ground floor of the "sales execution" phase of the company.

- The new sales leadership is committed to our development and proving that on a daily basis. I'm learning things that will not just help me sell more MongoDB but will also stick with me for the rest of my career (Champion building/testing, MEDDPICC, Value Framework, etc.)

- Performance based culture that pays a premium for over achievement.

- Although MongoDB is growing so fast, there is still a commitment to only hire "A players" and not compromise...even if it means certain territories remain uncovered

- Very talented Sales Engineering team, always feel like I have the best technical team vs. my competition

Cons

- It's a good problem to have but can be a challenge, at times customers have already decided to purchase MongoDB before I have had a chance to engage with them, therefore making it challenging to forecast timing & amount accurately

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in the development of the salesforce and do not compromise on your commitment to only hire "A players"

Off to a great start

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined the company and have been nothing but impressed with MongoDB. The people here were extremely welcoming and friendly when I first started. I've enjoyed the casual dress code and work environment, which I think makes everyone feel very comfortable. People here are down to earth, easy to talk to, and comprehend the enormous growth potential this company offers. Although I am not too familiar with what has gone on in the past, I have an enormous amount of respect and trust in the current team in place to bring this company to the next level. Can't wait for the future!

Cons

It is a bit overwhelming at first, as I did not know much about the product. I think the education team here has done a great job of getting people more aware of the product and how customers utilize it. Other than that, not much else I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging employees to always bring their A game. Continue to focus on hiring quality employees as we go through this very important stage of building the company.

Great people, constant change in org and strategy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB

Pros

Very smart, driven and talented coworkers.
    Casual working environment and collegial atmosphere.
    Flexibility to work from home when needed.
    Chance to define an emerging industry and answer the application demands of today's hyper connected society.
    Typical start up amenities of free lunches and snacks.

Cons

Management has been lacking so far. Seeing things improve with the relatively new CEO.
    Not a great place for work life balance particularly if you have small children.
    MongoDB has seen a crazy amount of change in the past year. Almost complete turnover of the executive and sales teams. I've worked at several tech startups and the amount of change here even exceeds other places I've worked.
    Related to that, people seem pretty expendable around here. I've seen some super talented people go without so much of an acknowledgment about them leaving and whether they were let go or left on their own.
    Hard to monetize open-source software. Puts a lot of unrealistic expectations on sales to solve that conundrum.

Advice to Management

Stop the chaos. Stick to a consistent plan and execute it accordingly. Cultivate your talent by having a structured professional development process in place. Don't take your people for granted - everyone can easily find opportunity elsewhere.

Sales

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the early days, the company built great tech but didn't always make great business decisions. There are some new members in the management team (including a new CEO) and things seem to be improving quickly. The pace of execution has accelerated dramatically. Under performers and bad apples are no longer here. The emerging culture is all about performance and growth.

Cons

This company is swinging for the fences so don't expect a cushy culture or 6 hour work days- but if you're up for a challenge...

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path of combining excellence in business execution with the company's exceptional technology.

Leverage the insights of the company veterans more strategically.

9. Awesome Experience

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Super relaxed work environment, everyone is really smart and interested in all the things they are working on.

Cons

I can't really think of any other than that the iced coffee was sub par. It was a really great experience working there.

10. MongoDB Summer Intern Program

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There were many activities to help you get to know the team and the company. They treated us very well.

Cons

It was hard to get to know some of the full-time employees. The different teams felt like individual cliques.

Leaving Mongo was the best career move I've ever made.

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide great perks and decent benefits. Ability to travel. Beautiful office space. Company makes a product people love.

Cons

It seems most people were there for perks alone and not for career development. HR is unfriendly and difficult to work with – I would rather go to the DMV. Company often makes promises to employees it can't keep. Some departments are very political.

RSS Feed </> Embed