MongoDB

Max Schireson

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at a Company That's Out to Do Something Big

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

ProsWhat I'm doing actually matters. What the company is doing actually matters. And it's nice to work at a company where your users love the product.

ConsGiven how fast-growing we are, things are always in motion. You have to have a certain tolerance for ambiguity, a willingness to adapt, and the desire to roll up your sleeves.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you help the young employees grow with the company.

A fine place to work if you are a man, a great place to work if you are a woman.

Contractor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB as a contractor for less than a year

ProsYou get to work on building cutting edge technology with very smart people. You get to be on the cusp of emergent trends like Go. Everything is webscale, even the food.

ConsWomen are highly favored over men in this environment. If you are a guy you will have to work hard to get noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pandering to sensitive pushy women.

Not perfect, but pretty darn close

Sales/Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerous, good people that work hard, expect much but are also kind.
Leader in a market that is transforming how data is managed.
Great story behind the company. Makes it easy to explain what we do, and why.
Salary and benefits are solid, though not overwhelmingly so.
Highly ambitious company vision.

ConsFar enough along that the stock grants are not stratospheric. (Still, assuming the company matches its ambition, any amount of stock is worthwhile here.)
Some areas of the company stronger than others in terms of personnel, though all areas are constantly upgrading.

Advice to Senior ManagementGeeky DNA sometimes diluted by salesy next generation. Needs to keep to its engineering roots/focus.
Hiring from within has gotten better, and needs to keep getting better.

Immaturity at key exec levels and bad case of founderitis

Principal Product Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat technology, developer and market adoption and market leadership. Product is very easy to install and configure for basic use cases but needs to mature to meet claims of trud web scalability.

ConsExec positions are somewhat of a clique, most being filled by former MarkLogic execs. They seem to be making some of the same missteps at MongoDB. Also, product direction is set exclusively by the founder and current CTO. Senior level product managers will have a very difficult time making an impact and will spend most of their time on junior level activities. Also, despite claim of being supportive of remote employees, the culture is not conducive for those working outside of the New York office, specifically when it comes to key business areas such as product management and development.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage participation in product direction and strategy from those outside of the current VP of Products and CEO positions.

Be wary of MongoDB

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

ProsFast growing space. Several fast growing companies in this space.

Cons* CEO and other C level people have their inner circle of people from past lives. If you are one of them you will be taken care of. If you are not you will be under-compensated and under-appreciated.

** The company hires mostly straight out of college grads with very little other work experience. The company does a great job of "internal branding and marketing" and creating hype giving the illusion of a great company. If you dig a little deeper you will find the hype that is portrayed is not reality.

MongoDB THE place to be... hehe that rhymes.

New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for less than a year

ProsWhere to begin... This is the culture for people who want to experience the upside of being in a start up without the concern for its future. Everyone here is technical, and I can have enthused discussions about technology with every level of this company. When the product you are building has engineers in mind, so too does the management.

Saw a recent post about the CTO. In his defense I don't feel anything "cult like" here whatsoever. I challenge anyone to find a guy who is more approachable and involved in the company on so many levels. His vision of what should be done is an informed one, and more importantly it is one that shows real passion, he is at a desk coding with everyone else, not in a corner office glad handing. Personally, I appreciate that.

I've never experienced a work environment that dealt with assimilation of new hires as seamlessly as MongoDB. I felt welcomed right away.

Biggest Pro: The people here. "Word Class" just doesn't quite cover it.

ConsLike every company, MongoDB has some growing pains. It is a company growing extremely quickly and this sometimes means directional changes that can feel jarring or frustrating to employees. I experienced a bit of this myself. However, these changes are typically very transparent and seem to gravitate around a general theme of what is best for the employees and the future of this company. Having said that, I would not trade this occasional feeling for a larger environment with a less exciting trajectory.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome personal touches with the employees could go a long way. We are a company asking a lot of people, sometimes a light personal touch can mean the difference between a happy employee vs a disenfranchised one. Remember, that this accelerated growth is new to many of us. I believe in what we are accomplishing, and we are all working towards the same goal, lets stay in touch with the elements of our culture which made us this successful in the first place.

Great internship, awesome people

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB as an intern for less than a year

ProsI worked as a summer intern at MongoDB. The people were really nice and many were even unofficial mentors. I grew a lot technically and was able to work with new technologies. We were always well provided for, from heaps of swag to free seamless and events.

ConsUpper management seemed a bit aloof and intimidating

Advice to Senior ManagementEven as the company grows work harder to meet every employee

N/A

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

ProsFast Pace and always learning. Offers are being throw at me, left and right.

ConsMight be growing a bit too fast

Advice to Senior ManagementI have trust in the management and future outcome of the company.

Incredible product and people. Some management issues.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB full-time for less than a year

ProsThe product is loved by users all over the world. It is incredibly powerful, yet simple. The people there are really great - very caring.

ConsThe upper management on the tech side have a lot to be desired. They are incredibly smart, but have absolutely 0 people skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to act more like a management team by helping and guiding people. Listen to what they have to say, even if you do not agree.

Incredible experience, incredible culture, incredible people

Intern (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB as an intern for less than a year

ProsCollaborative environment
Freedom with respect to projects
Great office
Great management
All around, this is an incredible place to work: there is a huge range of opportunities within each department, everyone is very intelligent and easy to work with, and the quality of the work is outstanding.

ConsThere can be a lack of organization at times, due to fast growth

Worked for MongoDB? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MongoDB reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MongoDB CEO Max Schireson. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by MongoDB employees.