MongoDB

Updated February 26, 2015
4.4

MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week (in 4 reviews)

• hiring a lot of people and growing very fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Compensation plans are maybe not as aggressive as they should be for such a fast growing company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Awesome Experience

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Super relaxed work environment, everyone is really smart and interested in all the things they are working on.

Cons

I can't really think of any other than that the iced coffee was sub par. It was a really great experience working there.

MongoDB Summer Intern Program

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There were many activities to help you get to know the team and the company. They treated us very well.

Cons

It was hard to get to know some of the full-time employees. The different teams felt like individual cliques.

Scrappy startup growing into enterprise software corporation

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

For a coder, MongoDB provides interesting problems in systems programming and large-scale software engineering. Plus, most of the interesting code is open source, and participation in the open source community is encouraged. There are opportunities to learn technologies, OSes, and programming languages, and a fair amount of flexibility if you want to switch teams and learn something new. There are plenty of tech talks and reading groups to level yourself up. The company shows signs of being immensely successful over the next decade--even now, working for MongoDB is a chance to join early with a company and technology that will probably fly very high.

Cons

The NY office is in the middle of Times Square. Over-aggressive deadlines mean some teams have to work overtime for periods once or twice a year. Even at other times most development is done urgently and with an eye toward the near-term: this isn't Bell Labs or Google. As the company makes small pivots on its way to profitability, employees can feel blindsided by major decisions made in secret, such as MongoDB acquiring a partner or making a deal with a huge customer.

Leaving Mongo was the best career move I've ever made.

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They provide great perks and decent benefits. Ability to travel. Beautiful office space. Company makes a product people love.

Cons

It seems most people were there for perks alone and not for career development. HR is unfriendly and difficult to work with – I would rather go to the DMV. Company often makes promises to employees it can't keep. Some departments are very political.

Great internship experience

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart and friendly coworkers
    Work-life balance
    Opportunities to tackle technically challenging problems
    Convenient office location

Cons

Not a lot of critical feedback on how to improve

Maintain the great culture, increase feedback

Exciting company in an exciting time

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

I've never worked with such smart and driven people before; it's really motivating. The company went through a lot of change this past year, but it's a growing company and it's smart to try to figure things out sooner rather than later. I think things are settling down a bit now and the future's looking really bright.

Cons

I'd actually counter the other reviews and say that work/life balance could definitely improve. Maybe it depends on the team, but I feel like my manager could encourage everyone to take a break and breathe a bit more.

Continue to improve on communication; updates from senior management are always appreciated. We're getting pretty big now so it's easy to focus on the teams that can improve the most, but don't forget the share the love with everyone lest the rest feel ignored.

A company that welcomes opinions from the bottom up!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB

Pros

Working with the company for 2 years I can still say today I love coming into work. Its a rare thing when the management team value your opinion on a business no matter where you stand in the organisation. They give you a voice. Also, I have met the most interesting and smart people I have ever come across in this company.

Excellent culture and great facilities. Friendly environment but at the same time we all work hard. MongoDB gave me a career as opposed to just a job!

Cons

More perks towards maintaining a healthy mind and body. The teams work hard so we need to ensure people dont burn out.

Managers should look to nourish talent, alot of great talent in the company seem pigeon holed to a certain title rather than taking that talent and work ethic and letting it contribute to a greater good within a company.

Keep communication clear and transparent.

Best place I've worked at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A company that goes to great lengths to hire the smartest people it can find, pays them well, and provides a great environment for them to work and thrive in. A product that has an enviable position in the market and is seriously challenging the way people think about databases. I enjoy going to work every day.

Cons

Need better communication between departments and teams. Everybody is having a great time here, but it's essential that people from different teams have a great time together, rather than in their own circles.

Keep the high standard in hiring. Listen to customers. Technical excellence also means understanding what everybody else in the industry is doing.

Huge opportunity for personal/professional growth at a face paced NYC tech darling - "the next big thing"!

Current Employee - Non-Engineering in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Non-Engineering in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MongoDB is still in start up mode so things move quickly, decisions are made fast, very little red tape.

Amazing people, everyone is super smart, hard working, and very passionate about MongoDB. The opportunity for massive market share is palpable.

Working for an open-source company is rewarding and exciting. The NYC tech scene is awesome and MongoDB is the pillar of the community.

All the "sweet" perks of a tech company (food/unlimited vacation, flexible work schedule, etc).

Cons

Sometimes the environment is sink or swim and after a while treading water gets tough.

Lots of change in the past 6 months can make the ride feel like a roller coaster.

Internal communication can be all over the place.

Keep information transparent, streamline internal communication.

Reward outstanding employees both monetarily and spotlight them! Not enough is done to call out some of the most impactful people. Don't cut corners on culture and the environment.

The saying goes people leave because of poor managers - keep an eye on "bad" managers - and make sure employees (especially Jr employees) get the right mentorship and coaching. Do more to keep people

Great, entrepreneurial environment, full of bright people who balance working and socializing together.

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing technology, with some of the brightest engineers who are friendly and enthusiastic about the company. The excitement among community members is infectious, and the company has a great momentum going.

Cons

Sometimes the quick growth reduces transparency among top leaders. Big announcements were delivered without much warning ahead of time.