MongoDB

Updated February 26, 2015
4.1

MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week (in 4 reviews)

• hiring a lot of people and growing very fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Compensation plans are maybe not as aggressive as they should be for such a fast growing company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

3 years and going strong

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at MongoDB (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has provided me with an opportunity to grow as an individual
    I've worked with some of the best and brightest people in the industry
    There is still an opportunity take on more responsibility beyond your job description, despite being a 400 person company
    The company is in a position to execute on one of the more disruptive missions in tech

Cons

Some familiar faces have left the company
    Recent changes in direction and leadership can be frustrating, waiting to see if these changes pan out

There has been an effort lately to improve internal corporate communication, specifically transparency in big decision making. Keep that up and continue to do better with that! We understand that change is part of rapid growth and success, be mindful of the impact it makes on the culture and be proactive vs. reactive.

Keeping standards up

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer
    Current Employee - Consulting Engineer

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MongoDB has grown but it hasn't sacrificed on hiring quality individuals. We are a growing company that is trying to head towards being public one day

Cons

Change is change. Some good; some not so good. Change will happen with a growing "startup"

Listen to feedback. Reach out to non-management and talk with us. You never know what you may be missing.

MongoDB Summer Intern Program

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There were many activities to help you get to know the team and the company. They treated us very well.

Cons

It was hard to get to know some of the full-time employees. The different teams felt like individual cliques.

Awesome Experience

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Super relaxed work environment, everyone is really smart and interested in all the things they are working on.

Cons

I can't really think of any other than that the iced coffee was sub par. It was a really great experience working there.

It's time to Build a company, not to "cut and run" when an investment realizes a target gain.

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative technology, but databases are nothing new. In fact, they're 50+ years old. Client firms are hungry for new database technology and MongoDB and other new databases are lighting up the scoreboard.

Cons

Customers have reservations about the ability to scale, the lack of transactional integrity and the lack of a schema. What is sold as the "Agile" benefit of MongoDB is also a glaring key weakness in Production corporate operations.

Significant adoption at major corporations for Strategic business processes will take time. And Management only cares about making monthly sales. Management and ownership's desire to realize economic gains on the investment are hurting the development of a company that works for the long term.

With the layoffs, turnover at the top and "culture restructuring", trust is lost in the middle and below. The new CEO has a reputation that precedes him and he's got a lot of trust-building to do. Frankly, he and his direct lieutenants can be trusted to do one thing -- deliver returns to investors. If you want to be a pawn in that play, Mongo is the place for you.

You can run a streamlined, efficient and cost effective business without pulling out the rug from underneath, ripping it apart and throwing it in peoples' faces. Align your expenses with your business and don't burn through 140% of your sales revenue annually. Ask people to run the company like they care about keeping costs down so you don't have to fire people who are otherwise doing a good job for MongoDB.

When your employees don't trust you, customers won't either.

Constant change

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at MongoDB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well known name for free products

Cons

Constant change in management and direction

Reduce the stress

Scrappy startup growing into enterprise software corporation

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

For a coder, MongoDB provides interesting problems in systems programming and large-scale software engineering. Plus, most of the interesting code is open source, and participation in the open source community is encouraged. There are opportunities to learn technologies, OSes, and programming languages, and a fair amount of flexibility if you want to switch teams and learn something new. There are plenty of tech talks and reading groups to level yourself up. The company shows signs of being immensely successful over the next decade--even now, working for MongoDB is a chance to join early with a company and technology that will probably fly very high.

Cons

The NY office is in the middle of Times Square. Over-aggressive deadlines mean some teams have to work overtime for periods once or twice a year. Even at other times most development is done urgently and with an eye toward the near-term: this isn't Bell Labs or Google. As the company makes small pivots on its way to profitability, employees can feel blindsided by major decisions made in secret, such as MongoDB acquiring a partner or making a deal with a huge customer.

Exciting company in an exciting time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

I've never worked with such smart and driven people before; it's really motivating. The company went through a lot of change this past year, but it's a growing company and it's smart to try to figure things out sooner rather than later. I think things are settling down a bit now and the future's looking really bright.

Cons

I'd actually counter the other reviews and say that work/life balance could definitely improve. Maybe it depends on the team, but I feel like my manager could encourage everyone to take a break and breathe a bit more.

Continue to improve on communication; updates from senior management are always appreciated. We're getting pretty big now so it's easy to focus on the teams that can improve the most, but don't forget the share the love with everyone lest the rest feel ignored.

Great internship experience

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart and friendly coworkers
    Work-life balance
    Opportunities to tackle technically challenging problems
    Convenient office location

Cons

Not a lot of critical feedback on how to improve

Maintain the great culture, increase feedback

Leaving Mongo was the best career move I've ever made.

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They provide great perks and decent benefits. Ability to travel. Beautiful office space. Company makes a product people love.

Cons

It seems most people were there for perks alone and not for career development. HR is unfriendly and difficult to work with – I would rather go to the DMV. Company often makes promises to employees it can't keep. Some departments are very political.