MongoDB Reviews

94 reviews filtered by
3.9
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week (in 4 reviews)

• hiring a lot of people and growing very fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Compensation plans are maybe not as aggressive as they should be for such a fast growing company (in 6 reviews)

Why is change bad? I couldn't be more excited for MongoDB's future

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

The company is entering a new stage of growth with proven models for success in place. The expectations imposed on MongoDB years ago are more reachable now than ever before. Yes, past change had an effect on many, it's evident by reading the reviews. Yet not many companies are successful by staying the course from inception. Change is difficult but necessary. MongoDB wouldn't be where it is today without the positive impact of past employees, but it's naive to think everyone will be happy with change.

Cons

As a company we must find our identity. We have a phenomenal product, community and customers who care, and executives who can take us the distance. Lets find out who we are and get out of this adolescent phase.

Advice to Management

Make sure communication isn't getting lost in middle management, transparency only works if it makes it to the bottom.

Sales as a competitive advantage...

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- CEO & CRO are 100% committed to building a salesforce that is as much a competitive advantage as the MongoDB technology. They have done it before at BladeLogic and for a few years at BMC so have a track record of success in this area.

- Virtually impossible to find another company that is growing this fast and operating in this big a market ($35B market) where you can still get in on the ground floor of the "sales execution" phase of the company.

- The new sales leadership is committed to our development and proving that on a daily basis. I'm learning things that will not just help me sell more MongoDB but will also stick with me for the rest of my career (Champion building/testing, MEDDPICC, Value Framework, etc.)

- Performance based culture that pays a premium for over achievement.

- Although MongoDB is growing so fast, there is still a commitment to only hire "A players" and not compromise...even if it means certain territories remain uncovered

- Very talented Sales Engineering team, always feel like I have the best technical team vs. my competition

Cons

- It's a good problem to have but can be a challenge, at times customers have already decided to purchase MongoDB before I have had a chance to engage with them, therefore making it challenging to forecast timing & amount accurately

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in the development of the salesforce and do not compromise on your commitment to only hire "A players"

Off to a great start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined the company and have been nothing but impressed with MongoDB. The people here were extremely welcoming and friendly when I first started. I've enjoyed the casual dress code and work environment, which I think makes everyone feel very comfortable. People here are down to earth, easy to talk to, and comprehend the enormous growth potential this company offers. Although I am not too familiar with what has gone on in the past, I have an enormous amount of respect and trust in the current team in place to bring this company to the next level. Can't wait for the future!

Cons

It is a bit overwhelming at first, as I did not know much about the product. I think the education team here has done a great job of getting people more aware of the product and how customers utilize it. Other than that, not much else I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging employees to always bring their A game. Continue to focus on hiring quality employees as we go through this very important stage of building the company.

Stimulating, fun environment - Awesome co-workers

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, challenging environment. A lot of autonomy. Nobody holds you back from exploring an idea or taking on a new project. Still a relatively small company so not a ton of process and paperwork to get in your way. Super smart co-workers who keep me on my toes. The benefits are awesome

Cons

If you have workaholic tendencies you have to pace yourself.

6. Casual, comfortable, hard-working, passionate

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joined the marketing team here 6 mos ago and haven't looked back since. Great team full of passionate people who care as much about the work as they do about the fun we have when it's done. Corporate culture is casual but hard working with plenty of opportunity to engage with colleagues in and out of the office. Great perks and fantastic snacks (at least in the PA office! ha!)

Cons

Dual headquarters in NYC and CA can lead to a feel of division on some projects and communication

7. Looking forward

Current Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MongoDB

Pros

I could not be more proud of the marketing team at MongoDB. A very smart and talented team that welcomed me with open arms and embraced change quickly. A strong executive team in place excited about the future of our company with a seasoned tech veteran as CEO. And a founder that is loved by all. A strong partnership between marketing and sales has already kicked off. Looking forward to the year ahead.

Cons

As an executive I hope to build upon the amazing foundation in place to make this one of the most amazing companies in our history.

8. Sales

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the early days, the company built great tech but didn't always make great business decisions. There are some new members in the management team (including a new CEO) and things seem to be improving quickly. The pace of execution has accelerated dramatically. Under performers and bad apples are no longer here. The emerging culture is all about performance and growth.

Cons

This company is swinging for the fences so don't expect a cushy culture or 6 hour work days- but if you're up for a challenge...

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path of combining excellence in business execution with the company's exceptional technology.

Leverage the insights of the company veterans more strategically.

Change for the better...

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has gone through a lot of change over the past year, and it was warranted. The technical team and product are amazing, but the company was not managed well and it showed. Over the last few months there has been a clear change and now decisions are made far more quickly. It appears that a lot of the weaker performers in Sales have either left or have been let go, along with people who had bad attitudes or just didn't belong. The new CEO seems to is building a new executive team that is bringing more energy and focus to the company. There is also genuine enthusiasm around the new product along with the opportunities ahead, and the company is again investing for growth.

Cons

This is a performance based culture. If you are not comfortable with this then this is not the company for you.
    Engineering and Sales don't really spend a lot of time together. Needs more cohesion.

Advice to Management

More communications on plans and priorities
    Bridge the gaps between engineering and sales

Earnest but corporate-leaning culture

I worked at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Pleasant work environment. Everyone is cordial towards each other and is earnestly trying to build a better company. No-meeting Thursdays. Hits all the right notes with the perks and work-life balance.

Cons

No compelling technology vision. Any semblance of passion for the company has been long gone, or never flourished to begin with. Company leadership is in flux, and generally nowhere to be seen. Talent bar is so-so, and some groups are *abysmal*. Risk-taking is discouraged ostensibly to minimize the possibility of bugs, even though the database product is riddled with them and more facepalm-level ones are found every week. Because of the risk-averse culture, there is no compulsion to pursue interesting projects, and it's harder to recruit and retain talent if there's no motivation to tackle interesting problems. It's becoming increasingly slow-moving, opaque, process-heavy, and JIRA-centric. I'd go as far as to characterize it as a JIRA *fetish*. No joke. To modify temperature controls, you need to file a JIRA. Every thermostat in the main New York City office has a sign on top of it saying so.

Advice to Management

Loosen up and take risks. You have tons of runway, do something visionary. It's a waste to the world to build another lumbering corporate monstrosity with that much funding.

A mess, but great people, and great free product (Sales position review)

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teams are very cooperative at this company, there's lots of collaboration, and they respond fast.

Cons

Cons below mainly for sales roles:
    ~ This company is going through a classic "blame the sales people" problem when the business model is what is broken. There has been so much executive turnover and every new exec doesn't take the time to understand this key problem.
    ~ Very hard sale, this is a free product (open source), it's a great product, it works very well and people don't want to pay for it. I have heard several times that companies move to MongoDB because it is free and easy to use.
    ~ Most salespeople are leaving, or being let go, most current employees are interviewing elsewhere.
    ~ Changes in territories and go to market model every single quarter over the last 8+ quarters, literally.
    ~ I would be surprised if 30% of reps are making quota, nobody has visibility there, or where they stand.
    ~ Unfair compensation for some reps, unfair stock options for others, regardless of how good/bad you are.
    ~ Top producing sales managers getting fired for no clear reason or explanation. Nearly every sales manager that has been here has been let go.
    ~ Executives do not understand that the product is free, and they keep firing and hiring new people, it takes new executives at least 6 months to 1yr to understand that we are competing against ourselves (the open source version).
    ~ If you have not sold open source in the past, I would not encourage you to work here, it's a very tough sale, despite the company's perceived brand.
    ~ Some reps here have had 5 managers within one year.
    ~ The majority of the ISR team quit.
    ~ In my short tenure here we have had: 2 CEO's, 3 CFO's, 3 VP's HR, 4 VP Sales, 4 CMO's (and counting)

Advice to Management

Start differentiating your free vs paid product before Amazon kills your business.