MongoDB

Updated December 10, 2014
4.3

MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week (in 4 reviews)

• hiring a lot of people and growing very fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Compensation plans are maybe not as aggressive as they should be for such a fast growing company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that welcomes opinions from the bottom up!

I have been working at MongoDB

Pros

Working with the company for 2 years I can still say today I love coming into work. Its a rare thing when the management team value your opinion on a business no matter where you stand in the organisation. They give you a voice. Also, I have met the most interesting and smart people I have ever come across in this company.

Excellent culture and great facilities. Friendly environment but at the same time we all work hard. MongoDB gave me a career as opposed to just a job!

Cons

More perks towards maintaining a healthy mind and body. The teams work hard so we need to ensure people dont burn out.

Managers should look to nourish talent, alot of great talent in the company seem pigeon holed to a certain title rather than taking that talent and work ethic and letting it contribute to a greater good within a company.

Keep communication clear and transparent.

Best place I've worked at

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company that goes to great lengths to hire the smartest people it can find, pays them well, and provides a great environment for them to work and thrive in. A product that has an enviable position in the market and is seriously challenging the way people think about databases. I enjoy going to work every day.

Cons

Need better communication between departments and teams. Everybody is having a great time here, but it's essential that people from different teams have a great time together, rather than in their own circles.

Keep the high standard in hiring. Listen to customers. Technical excellence also means understanding what everybody else in the industry is doing.

Endless Opportunities and a Bright Future

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Focused, fun and fantastic people who get things done. Across the globe everyone working here is passionate about our product, customers and community.
    Atmospheres in all the offices I have visited are friendly and open.
    Intern program is top notch and have attracted strong new grads.
    Work life balance is great - unlimited vacation policy and flexible managers.
    Benefits are strong and competitive.

Cons

Communication across departments could be better.
    Need to improve training across the company both for new hires and existing employees.

Keep making the changes needed to push the company forward.
    Continue to be transparent about the strategy and come up with additional ways for employees to share their ideas as we continue to grow.

Huge opportunity for personal/professional growth at a face paced NYC tech darling - "the next big thing"!

Current Employee - Non-Engineering in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Non-Engineering in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MongoDB is still in start up mode so things move quickly, decisions are made fast, very little red tape.

Amazing people, everyone is super smart, hard working, and very passionate about MongoDB. The opportunity for massive market share is palpable.

Working for an open-source company is rewarding and exciting. The NYC tech scene is awesome and MongoDB is the pillar of the community.

All the "sweet" perks of a tech company (food/unlimited vacation, flexible work schedule, etc).

Cons

Sometimes the environment is sink or swim and after a while treading water gets tough.

Lots of change in the past 6 months can make the ride feel like a roller coaster.

Internal communication can be all over the place.

Keep information transparent, streamline internal communication.

Reward outstanding employees both monetarily and spotlight them! Not enough is done to call out some of the most impactful people. Don't cut corners on culture and the environment.

The saying goes people leave because of poor managers - keep an eye on "bad" managers - and make sure employees (especially Jr employees) get the right mentorship and coaching. Do more to keep people

Fast paced ride - a culture of true believers

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge opportunity for growth in the company. MongoDB is now firmly established as a company and as a technology, so the early days where people were wearing a million hats is gone as the company got more focused, but the ability to evolve your role and take on new responsibilities based on your skill set or your interests is tremendous. Generally, people just really like each other. Makes going to work fun when you're invested both in the company, the technology and also the team. Great college recruiting program. Lots of interaction between departments. Offices around the world. Regular events and parties and hackathons. Free food :).

Cons

Shifting slightly from startup to mid-size company and therefore experiencing typical growth challenges. As with most emerging tech companies, its a predominately male-led organization and lacks women in leadership positions.

Continue current culture of transparency. Find more ways to hire women in leadership! Continue to invest in the community and create believers.

amazing company with a huge opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people who are on a mission and they have fun along the way. I'm constantly impressed with the people I get to work with - years of enterprise software experience.

Cons

Hyper-growth means you have to work hard. Sometimes, it feels like we live from fire drill to fire drill but I think that's the nature of a successful startup.

Stick with the strategy - it's working!! We have to keep focussed on the end goal which is mass adoption and not let distractions slow us down. We have an amazingly talented CEO and we need to follow his lead.

Growing Product / Struggling Management

I have been working at MongoDB

Pros

A growing product with immediate recognition at the highest levels in clients and prospects. Get the meetings you want and tell a compelling story. If you're given a large and broad (industry-wise) territory, you have a good chance to succeed.

Cons

Databases in large companies are not quick to change. You compete against unlimited global licenses for MS, Oracle, IBM and SAP/Sybase. Open Source competes with itself on sales but sales can win out with hard work and the right relationships. Management change will continue to create instability, but what's new about that?

Great, entrepreneurial environment, full of bright people who balance working and socializing together.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing technology, with some of the brightest engineers who are friendly and enthusiastic about the company. The excitement among community members is infectious, and the company has a great momentum going.

Cons

Sometimes the quick growth reduces transparency among top leaders. Big announcements were delivered without much warning ahead of time.

After 2 years @ MongoDB

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Exciting time to work on a very interesting and dynamic ecosystem like NoSQL/Databases. MongoDB is one of the best technologies to work and it's becoming more prevalent.
    The tech is good and people seem to enjoy working with it which makes the job very interesting.

Cons

Constant changes on head / director roles, lack of focus and sync from parts of the organization makes these times very uncertain causing a lot of stress across the board. This was not the case 8 months ago.

We are trying to become a big company from head down. Lot's of VP's without any direct responsibility, lot's of roles that don't make sense given the size and the market share that we currently have.
    We are not growing in proportion with our user base. That makes growth expectations unrealistic.

East coast hipster geek haven

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very "techy" startup for being on the East Coast. No social media pointlessness. If you like technical challenges and don't like corporations this is the place to be.
    - Transparent work culture.
    - Great, smart, dedicated co-workers.
    - Lots of individual responsibility across the board.
    - An actual chance to make an impression on an entire software technology vertical.

Cons

- Messy and changing management and sales structure.
    - Lack of coherent message and strategy internally.
    - The company is in a great place technology and market impression wise, but struggling to monetize open source and hence changes strategy very often.

Improve consistency in internal and external strategy communication.