MongoDB Reviews

Reset
4.0
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week (in 4 reviews)

• Great team of very smart people and an exciting environment to work in with a great product (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Being a fast growing company means frequent changes and occasional left turns (in 6 reviews)

Rapid growth, hot technology

Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Technology is awesome. Very smart people - I feel like I learn something new every day. Visionary leadership to take company to the next level.

Cons

There has been a lot of change recently, and not everyone views this positively. People tend to be 100% bought in or not happy.

Advice to Management

Keep driving toward the vision of being the best open source company in the world!

Exciting place to work

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge number of extremely bright engineers Great product Great Market Opportunity Great culture: Openness, informal, hard working

Cons

There is a large amount of change (high even for startup standards) There is significant amount of turnover

Advice to Management

Promote from within

elite

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

- surrounded by elite talent, new leadership and new hires - very important time in company's growth - life changing story to be a part of / very dynamic / culture of winning - make a TON of money

Cons

- wouldn't recommend if you're not able to commit to the pace of a startup and/or standards that come with very high level of talent

Gaining Momentum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I see nothing but positive trends over the last few months. The company is gaining a lot of momentum under the new CEO. There has been a deep restructuring in the sales organization, making it vastly more efficient and competitive. This must have been tough for many in that part of the company, explaining some of the recent critical reviews. But the work environment is still excellent, this is an awesome bunch of people to work with. A-players everywhere. Engineering is much more open these days, accepting input and sharing what they are doing.

Cons

Quite honestly, I can't think of any downsides, except perhaps that disrupting a market is never a sure thing. Right now, things are looking great for this company, but whether the mission is ultimately a success is always up in the air. Not the place where you can lean back and rest assured you will always be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going.

Great place to thrive if find work you love here

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Fast growing company with great technology, popular and fast changing. Great benefits, compensation.

Cons

Office locations other than HQ (NYC) may feel more isolated/less informed on what's going on.

Advice to Management

Keep the company culture thriving as the company grows.

Work here to earn your base salary

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at MongoDB

Pros

Some really great people and a promising technology but terrible execution on the technical side of things and tons of pressure on the sales side.

Cons

If you are in sales and just want to collect a paycheck for your base salary, this is your place to work! I have never worked in a company that did not post stack rankings of the sales reps. Why would MongoDB do this? Because no one is making quota except a handful of people in New York who cover startups. The enterprise reps are making nothing and turnover is super high. Engineering is super dysfunctional. I work now for another open source company with half the number of people in engineering as MongoDB that gets twice the amount of work done. It is not that MongoDB doesn't have great people in engineering, they just don't know how to empower them and let them run.

Advice to Management

Go the the board and admit that winning the enterprise is going to take two more years and you want to pay people to do the tough ground work in the field. You can be a big player in the future if you stop beating up the sales force and start paying them.

Not a startup anymore...

I worked at MongoDB

Pros

Strong product and community around it

Cons

Lots of management changes, had issues with how they wanted to try to sell and seemed to hire a lot of VPs and let them go less than a year later

Still here!

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

I've been here for over 2 years & still going strong. There has been some movement within the company but that is expected from a growing startup. Engineering has always looked strong. Sales looks stronger than ever. The impressive HR team has double the company since i've joined and is looking to double it again soon.

Cons

Learn to slow down and take it all in. There won't be anyone there to stop you from overworking!

Advice to Management

The new shift is promising. Keep @ it!

Sales as a competitive advantage...

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- CEO & CRO are 100% committed to building a salesforce that is as much a competitive advantage as the MongoDB technology. They have done it before at BladeLogic and for a few years at BMC so have a track record of success in this area. - Virtually impossible to find another company that is growing this fast and operating in this big a market ($35B market) where you can still get in on the ground floor of the "sales execution" phase of the company. - The new sales leadership is committed to our development and proving that on a daily basis. I'm learning things that will not just help me sell more MongoDB but will also stick with me for the rest of my career (Champion building/testing, MEDDPICC, Value Framework, etc.) - Performance based culture that pays a premium for over achievement. - Although MongoDB is growing so fast, there is still a commitment to only hire "A players" and not compromise...even if it means certain territories remain uncovered - Very talented Sales Engineering team, always feel like I have the best technical team vs. my competition

Cons

- It's a good problem to have but can be a challenge, at times customers have already decided to purchase MongoDB before I have had a chance to engage with them, therefore making it challenging to forecast timing & amount accurately

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in the development of the salesforce and do not compromise on your commitment to only hire "A players"

Why is change bad? I couldn't be more excited for MongoDB's future

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

The company is entering a new stage of growth with proven models for success in place. The expectations imposed on MongoDB years ago are more reachable now than ever before. Yes, past change had an effect on many, it's evident by reading the reviews. Yet not many companies are successful by staying the course from inception. Change is difficult but necessary. MongoDB wouldn't be where it is today without the positive impact of past employees, but it's naive to think everyone will be happy with change.

Cons

As a company we must find our identity. We have a phenomenal product, community and customers who care, and executives who can take us the distance. Lets find out who we are and get out of this adolescent phase.

Advice to Management

Make sure communication isn't getting lost in middle management, transparency only works if it makes it to the bottom.

RSS Feed </> Embed