MongoDB

Updated December 10, 2014
4.3

MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week (in 4 reviews)

• hiring a lot of people and growing very fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Compensation plans are maybe not as aggressive as they should be for such a fast growing company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good experiencie

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at MongoDB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

solid product, great community support

Cons

the product is open source, free of charge. Not to many people want to pay for support, for a product that works very well, and seldom goes down

Provide with proper training

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity, good product, great culture and management.

Cons

A lot of turnover (but you should expect that with a growing company), hard time monetizing (but you should expect that with open source), constantly changing offerings.

Management is great, its direction from up top that needs to be more well thought out.

Great place with very intelligent people

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mongo just has some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. It's clear everyone is very passionate about the product and about doing things well, no shoddy engineering to be found. Perfect balance of professionalism and nerd culture.

Also who wouldn't wanna get around the office in a scooter?

Cons

Big drinking culture. I felt that to be slightly polarizing when it would happen very often. But that's just me. Also it felt like my supervisors were constantly in meetings when I needed to meet with them.

Great Internship

Former Employee - Marketing Summer Intern
    Former Employee - Marketing Summer Intern

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture and people. The intern program was well developed and allowed you to work where you wanted.

Cons

Sometimes I was left with nothing to do. While this was not often, it would have been nice to have some things planned out ahead of time.

Great Place

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Tons of smart motivated people. Great atmosphere. Exciting company.

Cons

Its growing so fast and it makes for some challenges.

Good Internship Program

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had a great summer working on a really interesting project. The people here are very smart and helpful and I definitely felt challenged. Hours were good (10-6) and the other intern events they had throughout the summer (including a speaker series ~once/week with senior members of the company) were fun. I stayed in the provided NYU housing which was just OK but a bunch of the interns lived there so it was pretty fun overall. Pay is very competitive and they are open about the job offer process for rising seniors.

Cons

Seemed like the non-engineering interns didn't have as great of an experience. The company is growing quickly and there was some reorganization and layoffs during the summer which kind of gave the impression that the company is a little unstable.

Best internship I've had

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interns are treated as full-time employees and given real responsibilities. All of the intern projects are very interesting and actually contribute to something useful.
    The people are great: everyone is passionate about their jobs and super helpful if you have questions.
    Perks are wonderful even for interns (lunches twice a week, housing paid for, transportation costs covered).
    Nice work/life balance - never pushed to work more than 40 hours per week.
    Pay is above industry standard.

Cons

Office is in Times Square so you have to navigate around tourists when walking anywhere.
    Company is still growing and structure changes are still happening.

Software Engineer Inter

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- project/intern matching system to help you find the project you'd be most interested in and interesting projects overall, some other companies don't allow you to choose your project which is a huge turn off
    - took the time/effort to find the right engineering project for me which I really appreciate
    - NYC is awesome
    - housing provided

Cons

- wish I could have started the internship a month earlier
    - small cafetaria

Software Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

MongoDB has a lot of smart employees. They also treat their interns very well and have some fun events planned out for them throughout the summer. The in-house speaker series is a great chance to meet some of their upper management who have lots of experience in industry. Even if you're not working directly on the database, they put you through a training course the first week to acquaint you with their software.

Cons

Not much to complain about, sometimes the culture felt too east-coasty but that's probably because I'm from back west. They are moving very fast and it can be easy to get caught up in the craziness.

Fantastic company

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing world-class colleagues.
    Great, open and transparent culture.
    People love technology and it is a great opportunity to learn not only about MongoDB, but about databases and distributed systems in general. Your colleagues have deep experience in various areas of software it is an amazing place to learn.
    The product is very promising, although it does have its shortcomings as it is still relatively early in its life cycle.
    Twice a week lunch orders from seamless and the fridge stocked with beer and food are awesome!

Cons

Workload can be overwhelming, but that is a good problem to have as the customer base is growing.
    Unlimited paid vacation sounds great but leads to burnout in practice as most people don't avail of it.
    Top heavy management structure. Too many VPs, directors and managers, compared to the number of rank and file employees.
    Disproportionate amount of politics for a company this size, probably due to the top-heavy management structure.

Don't dilute culture by expanding too fast.
    While the database owes its popularity due to scrappy startups and developers, understand that they will never pay a dime and accordingly shift focus to big paying customers.
    While this company is building a great product, the product is not gonna make money as it is open source. Understand this and that the product is a means to sell services which pays for everything.