MongoDB Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
4.3

Dev Ittycheria

Great team and potential; could be more streamlined leadership

I worked at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Talented folks on the team, awesome CEO

Good future potential for becoming a big company with a very important technology

Great valuation progress if you have a meaningful stock option grant

Cons

The company feels much too top heavy for this size of company with 3 "Chairmen/Vice Chairman", a CEO and a CTO/Co-Founder who kind of acts like another Chairman/CEO

NY/CA co-HQ is not ideal - it is a way to get a little better talent maybe for a few positions early on but I think may have caused more harm than helped

Because the company is high-profile, they are attracting talent that has done the same jobs (or bigger jobs before) before so opportunities for advancement for others are quite limited for those already here except more junior promotions

The culture includes vocal complaining by various folks about the smallest of issues

Keep at it. Streamline the top of the company some way. Make NY the official HQ. Encourage feedback from folks but keep it productive and balanced

Fun company, however the work performed was not necessarily valued or utilized.

I have been working at MongoDB as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great perks, outstanding culture, exciting atmosphere.

Cons

At times there can be a lack of communication between co-workers. The overall mission of the company may seem a little disjointed between the teams. There is a sense of separation between the different areas of production and management.

Better integrate all teams and all aspects of the product with each individual. Promote how an individual's work contributes to the overall product.

Good opportunity with a company that has big potential

I worked at MongoDB

Pros

Awesome team of intelligent and innovative individuals. Great opportunity to make a huge impact on the industry. One of the few startups that are doing well which will get you a lot of recognition. Good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility and autonomy.

Cons

MongoDB is experiencing some growing pains right now with a lot of bureaucratic policies being put in place partially due to new execs. It's normal to have more structure as the team gets bigger but the way in which it is implemented could be handled a bit better. Fast pace growth but sometimes culture fit is sacrificed in the process. Healthy compensation packages for newcomers but, no incentives are given to existing employees who have been with the company. New managers also needs more training.

Company culture is very critical at this stage so it's important to evaluate newcomers against existing company values. It's one thing to attract strong talent, it's another thing to be able to keep them and I'm not sure if MongoDB is focusing on that. New managers desperately need more training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Culture

I worked at MongoDB full-time

Pros

- great company culture & values
    - impressive product
    - quickly growing
    - chance for upward mobility
    - wonderful colleagues

Cons

- poor work-life balance
    - chaos due to fast growth can work against upward mobility
    - poor communication
    - little to no training for new positions

just keep working at it - lots of good progress so far and growing a start-up is difficult.

Dynamic Company

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, friendly people, lot's of innovative projects being worked on. In terms of management, if things are not working they are willing to listen to better options.

Cons

Too many bosses, too many different initiatives. They need to fix one thing at a time, comission structure could be more attainable/clear.

Alignment of sales and marketing is key. Need to figure a way to not have sales under 5 different groups it, will make life a lot easier.

Working at a Company That's Out to Do Something Big

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

What I'm doing actually matters. What the company is doing actually matters. And it's nice to work at a company where your users love the product.

Cons

Given how fast-growing we are, things are always in motion. You have to have a certain tolerance for ambiguity, a willingness to adapt, and the desire to roll up your sleeves.

Make sure you help the young employees grow with the company.

Great company

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible and hard working people. Smart and self aware. Know where they need to improve and have a plan. Great staff that cares a lot and is ambitious but not political.

Cons

This isn't an office 9-5 mail in job. This is a pro to me but may be a con for those not looking to put the effort in.

Not perfect, but pretty darn close

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous, good people that work hard, expect much but are also kind.
    Leader in a market that is transforming how data is managed.
    Great story behind the company. Makes it easy to explain what we do, and why.
    Salary and benefits are solid, though not overwhelmingly so.
    Highly ambitious company vision.

Cons

Far enough along that the stock grants are not stratospheric. (Still, assuming the company matches its ambition, any amount of stock is worthwhile here.)
    Some areas of the company stronger than others in terms of personnel, though all areas are constantly upgrading.

Geeky DNA sometimes diluted by salesy next generation. Needs to keep to its engineering roots/focus.
    Hiring from within has gotten better, and needs to keep getting better.

Terrific Company

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic facilities, bright and fun atmosphere, really nice HR people, super-smart leaders, amazing salary/perks (even by Startup standards) - What I really like is the transparency, I've never worked anywhere where the CEO pretty much tells everyone everything that's happening. High trust environment.

Cons

Being a fast growing company means frequent changes and occasional left turns. Probably not ideal if you're slow to adapt.

Don't you go changing.... ;)

OMG.... Am I drinking the MongoDB Kool-aid?

Current Employee - Technical Services
    Current Employee - Technical Services

I have been working at MongoDB full-time for less than a year

Pros

~My first point of contact - Recruiter and HR. Knowledgable and trustworthy (Always a plus!)
    ~Bright colleagues with different backgrounds with the same end goals
    ~Making a difference in the company
    ~Nosql! DUH!

Cons

Being part of a startup has it's cons. Management needs to make goals they can stick with.

Worked for MongoDB? Contribute to the Community!