Monitor Group

www.monitor.com

Monitor Group Reviews in Cambridge, MA

Monitor Group President Bansi Nagji

Bansi Nagji

Pros
  • Good Work life balance, Nice Salary, Senior Management visionary(in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work and intenting to help you when you need(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can get a bit screwed at times on projects(in 14 reviews)

• Long hours as with many consulting firms(in 17 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work life balance

Senior Network Security Specialist (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGood Work life balance, Nice Salary, Senior Management visionary

ConsShould have more Internal travel.

Smart people, tough firm

Undergrad Intern (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsReally smart people
    Generally interesting work
    Global staffing + presence

ConsDeloitte
    Limited commercial success
    Smaller = more difficult to go abroad (sometimes)

Interesting..to say the least

Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosinformal work environment so young professionals get the opportunity to take the lead on a number of initiatives

Conssupport staff are second class citizens

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Excellent Place to Get Started and Grow...

Case Team Leader (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsSmart, passionate people with a bit less ego than other top tier strategy firms. Monitor has unique hiring standards which place intellect in the context of other substantive qualitative factors--such as the willingness to listen and learn from your mistakes. Those who have the 'smartest guy in the room' attitude generally do not make the cut, and if they slip through, they don't do well.

This lends itself to a positive culture which is competitive, but not cutthroat.

Monitor has all the trappings of a global consulting organization full of influential thought leaders. New ideas are constantly in the air, and everyone loves a good wonky intellectual discussion.

ConsAs with any strategy firm, a lot of learning is in the ether. You will get a strong dose of strategy exposure, which may not always translate into the nuts and bolts business execution skills that budding entrepreneurs might desire. It can be overly theoretical at times, while at other times somewhat regimented and dictated by use of existing 'house favorite' strategy frameworks.

You will learn to think about business, you won't learn how to run one exactly.

The salaries are good, but probably a notch below McKinsey, et al. You will probably make more than most of your friends, however, so don't fret. Bonuses can be quite large too.

They have done better at developing the Alumni network more recently, but they could do more to create the kind of network that other large firms enjoy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Monitor is well-run and continues to grow and diversify. It has been some time since my departure, so I cannot speak to current issues with the business.

The smartest people I have worked with and the most I have ever learned

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosyou will work hard but learn so much. this is a group of very smart, humble and interesting people focused on making a difference for their clients. it is a unique place with a great culture.

Conssome times too smart for their own good and have a tendency to over complicate. the organization is at times too consensus driven. the pay is average.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should make hard decisions and be ok with the fact that people will be mad. It is too consensus driven.

Not your typical consulting firm

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prostreated like an adult, feedback culture, amazing, smart, fun people

Consincredibly high expectations of employees

Great culture, pay and benefits lacking

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsFlexible schedule, which is amazing. As long as the job gets done, managers don't care if you do it from home or the office. Very autonomous, and employees are respected.

ConsPay is lower than similar jobs in the area, benefits are very scanty. No 401K matching at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having so many parties and give the money to people in the form of bonuses instead.

Great work with great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros- Rigorous feedback and very strong personal development
    - Collaborative, supportive culture
    - High expectations but great support from peers

Cons- Too collaborative at times
    - Upward reviews lack power

Great work / life balance - no opportunities for growth not tied to politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Proswork/life balance - great PTO policies

ConsLots of turf wars. Company could run more efficiently.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to other opinions

Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat culture. Great people. Great insights into various industries. All and all, a great place to start and to figure out what I want to do with my life.

ConsIt's hard to balance the work load. Some nights I would be done early and others I would be hunched over my desk all night.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, as a junior person, I did not see much of the leadership or overall strategy, but I credit them with creating the great office culture I encountered at Monitor.

Worked for Monitor Group? Contribute to the Community!