Monitor Group

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Monitor Group President Bansi Nagji

Bansi Nagji

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very smart people, interesting work, sub-par compensation

Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLoved the people I worked with, projects were great as well.

ConsLower pay vs. competitors. Long hours.

As an admin. its a great company to work for.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsYoung consultants are very fun, intelligent.
    The admin team is great! We bond very well.
    It is awesome to work at a place and actually feel needed - although I am not a client-facing part of this company, I still feel like an essential part of it.

ConsConsultants are busy people, who are not always conscious of the people on the staff team. We are often cleaning up messes that they leave behind.

Rewarding, educational, and very challenging.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros* We're known for having a positive culture and good people by comparison to other management consulting firms.
    * We don't typically staff cases at the client site all week long.
    * We focus on strategy, and do comparatively little transactional, outsourced analysis

Cons* We don't have a very well-known brand, even though we're in roughly the top five globally.
    * We're not as large as some of our competitors.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and intellectually challenging place to work but the leadership is challenged.

Case Team Leader (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBrilliant, quirky people. Opportunities to work across many sectors and strategic issue areas.

ConsLong hours, weak bonuses, and challenged leadership.

Great colleagues, some interesting projects, company as a whole a little aimless

Senior Case Team Leader (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsTerrific, smart, and interesting colleagues. Collegial and friendly work environment. Great subunits in innovation, scenario planning, government, and nonprofit work. Terrific feedback systems and very supportive professional development environment. A great place to learn and develop valuable skills. I would recommend it highly as a good place for early career (pre- and 5 yrs post MBA/MA) growth.

ConsThe company as a whole doesn't really seem to know who or what it wants to be. There's so much talent, so many good ideas, but no clear purpose or direction. Hopefully, that will change in time.

I feel fortunate to work with the intellectually curious and extremely competent people at Monitor.

Subject Matter Expert Recruiter (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe reason you work anywhere is because of a) the colleagues that you work with on projects, b) the types of projects that you work on are meaningful and rewarding and c) your compensation and growth projections are fair. In my opinion, in all three criteria The Monitor Group exceeds.

ConsThe Monitor Group has made a tremendous effort and succeeded triumphantly to improve the collaboration and cross-fertilization between their various groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Leadership in Monitor always provides clear and timely information to their employees about the state of the organization and where we are growing.

Great company, but facing management challenges

Case Team Lead (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood people. Influence over the projects you work on. You are not at the client full time.

ConsManagement can be opaque. Less range of projects from a functional perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about firm strategy, and be more aggressive about cutting groups that are not profitable.

Working meritocracy for the nerdy business type

Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's cliched, but the people are great -- smart, entrepreneurial, and overall just very friendly and open to sharing experiences and knowledge. And definitely a bit on the nerdy side. With no "up or out" policy, people are not competitive and there is more freedom around customizing a career path that works for individuals. The company is also very meritocratic. If you are smart and demonstrate leadership capabilities, they will give you as much as you want to take on... and reward you with appropriate bonus.

ConsThe downsides of a meritocracy is that if you are a strong performer and they feel like you can take on more, you are pushed to take on more leadership roles and more management roles... so you're often never "comfortable" and not coasting in a role. You can often feel like you're constantly on a learning curve with the attending low level stress of mastering new skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation is behind other similar employers. The people at Monitor are what make the place. Compensate and match benefits appropriately to other similar employers.

Worked for Monitor Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Monitor Group reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Monitor Group CEO Bansi Nagji. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Monitor Group employees.