Monitronics

Michael R. Haislip

Excellent work enviroment

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Monitronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits, promotions, personal growth, excellent work enviroment

Cons

A few Micro Managers, Certain departments become challenging at times

Trying hard to break the mold of the typical call center environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Monitronics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people! They have good hiring practices including peer hiring panels and have implemented some progressive culture change policies in order to give employees a voice (one that is actually heard), boost employee morale, and replace bad leadership. They have an on-site wellness coordinator, good benefits, a great HR team that advocates for the employees, have high expectations of their people, and the training dept is great. When I was there, HR took a lot of employee surveys and listened to employees, and bad managers were replaced, but I'm not sure if that's still happening. They offer employee appreciation events in May and December, a grab-and-go fresh vending area since most people don't want to lose their parking spot at lunch, ping-pong, TV, quiet/resting room, gym, and coffee bars.

Cons

Employees are eager to learn, but eventually are beaten down by poor and inexperienced supervisors and some (not all) crony upper management that have no desire to change. The VPHR that implemented the culture change operated very dirty and was asked to leave. The execs and accounting on the top floor stay on the top floor and don't seem to have a desire to be involved in day-to-day operations. IT team is understaffed and will do everything in their power to talk someone out of a project or request that will mean a lot of work for them. Parking is horrible, not enough spaces, and lines too close together so my car doors were horribly dinged up. They desperately needed a bigger building or move some depts to another building. The intranet was never updated and employees were constantly coming to HR for stuff that should have been posted on the intranet.

Everyone from supervisor level to executive leadership needs to take a good look at the employee surveys, not just HR. Realize HPWP is to empower employee/manager expectations and relationships, not mold it's elements into inflexible policy so that good employees leave. It's so easy in that call-center environment to fall into complacency and allow those bad supervisors and managers to destroy their good employees with micromanagement and abuse. Recognize your good employees regularly, shine that light on that 95% and get rid of the 5%-- that includes bad management! Provide regular management development training to every single one of your managers and supervisors, especially new ones! Letting them 'figure it out' or letting other poor managers train them is disastrous. Continuous training once an employee gets on the floor is so important- supervisors need to realize there are situations that will not arise in training that you will need to teach your employees. Don't put up with the inefficient and stifling status quo because it's comfortable and cheap.

A great company that's growing

Current Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Monitronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and affordable. Has a on site wellness coordinator. Invest in employees. Great work environment.

Cons

Salaries aren't competitive enough, Not enough growth opportunities in certain departments.

Don't work here, headache to avoid.

Former Employee - Account Resolution Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Resolution Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Monitronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was positive. Gym, break room every floor, quiet room.

Cons

No consistency in processes. No clear expectations. Vague coaching. Bait & switch. If you have a good conscience like myself you'll be eaten alive and used as target practice between sups & leads. There's an escalation line to help you, but do you dare call it? You'll be talked down to and ridiculed. The sups that are in the que barely have system knowledge less any special circumstance experience. There is an "open door" policy pffft yea right your kid is sick? It's an emergency? "Commitment letter" when you come back. If the letter doesnt have the verbatim they want, write it again (unemployment interest).

Not advice to mgmt, QA or floor leads. More like advice to CEO please look at who's leading your army. You have some great employees with great intentions all they need is the tools, knowledge & support. Support is lacking your "5%" is your 60% right now breaking the spirits of the rest. I myself would ask for help and be "mushed" away to ask someone else, 3-5 sups/leads would do same, finally feeling for the customer i would make an executive decision (what felt right, within healthy business medium) would be called up, coached and put on performance counseling.

Interesting place to work!

Former Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Monitronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of my co-workers were really nice people...some where just weird. Interacting with my co-workers really made the job fun. I also enjoyed helping customers that really appreciated our assistance. Management was always trying to do new things to motivate staff members, which usually centered around feeding them.

Cons

Very high turn over, micro-managing, low morale in the call center, HPWP (High Performance Work Place), and observing the supervisors & leads displaying favoritism among their buddies basically destroyed my desire to work their any longer.

I observed some very unfair practices performed in the name of the "HPWP" guidelines that were recently adapted by Monitronics. Personally, I don't think management has a clue of what HPWP really is nor how to properly implement this program. Some of the supervisors only use this policy as a means to terminate employees that they don't like.

In summary, the job was alright but I couldn't stand the micro-managing, the depressing environment and the politics & non-sense that came along with the job.

Do away with the HPWP!

Great work atmosphere and management team

Current Employee - QA Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - QA Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Monitronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth.
    Work life balance.
    Open door policy.

Cons

Company was sold and disbanded.

what's next

its a great team/family oriented workplace

Current Employee - Customer Tech Support in Farmers Branch, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Tech Support in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Monitronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the staff are friendly and the management is fair we have lots of company funded events like monifest where they invite live entertainment we have a cookout prizes and we feel rewarded for out hard work/

Cons

not a great deal of ability for advancement and there are no current career paths in place.

the staff could use more in depth training for the products we support.

Horrible Employee Treatment (3 yrs employee) HIGH TURN OVER!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Monitronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great trainers, good benefits, helpful and friendly coworkers

Cons

HIGH TURN OVER!!! They fire 2-3 people a week and hire 14-18 new people a month. They pay less compared to most. HPWP is a hoax and a bunch of nonsense that is a program trying to make employees believe that the management team and HR are angels BUT BEWARE most supervisors and managers are Wolves in Sheep skin who will SMILE in your face and then turn around and STAB you in the back. Talk ill about you to fellow peers in management. Superiors ill treat subordinates! They get your hopes high by smiling ear to ear and lying through their teeth and then shatter your hopes and dreams by pulling dirty string and spreading false rumors and gossip to same or different department management peers thinking we as employees do not have ears and are unaware of of these trivalent stunts. Employees may never step up and say anything to these supervisors and managers in order to desperately hang on to the what they have and not lose their employment. They 100% attendance expectation policy is told to us along with the fact that supervisors/managers trust in us as adults we will do all we can to adhere to the 100% attendance yet when a few unexpected life crisis occur they fire people left and right like they are dirty socks and are replaceable. Its pathetic and a BIG JOKE!!!

Do not lie to us, pretend to like us as people or employees and turn around and pull shady trivial pathetic moves. We see right though your fake masks!!! Keep your word!

Inconsistent management and poor technology

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Carr, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Carr, TX

I worked at Monitronics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Employees(the ones who stay) participate in a lot of company sponsored activities and they are acquiring other companies for future growth.

Cons

Inconsistent management (ESP -accounting and technology), high employee turnover, and poor employee training. Two month employee training a new employee is quite suspect

Vet your promotions more carefully and spend more time and money on establishing corporate policies.

Worst senior management

I worked at Monitronics full-time

Pros

Fast growing, hpwp, good people

Cons

Worst upper management, micro manage, unprofessional management

Replace the upper management and or their management style, stop micro manage good employees and trust your employees