Monro Muffler Brake Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

1.6

Monro Muffler Brake Chairman, President, and CEO Robert G. Gross
Robert G. Gross

Great until new Mgr took over.

Former Employee - Auto Tech  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Auto Tech in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for less than a year

Pros

fellow employees willing to help each other out working as a team, with no interference from mgr

Cons

Lots of work plenty of overtime, but they cannot keep good mechanics because of mgr leadership.

Mgr need to stay out of employees work. Most Mgrs pick and choose who they like and dislike and that's why they cannot keep employees. Employee turnover is high and they are always looking for new employees. Upper, Upper district mgr don't see or don't want to see the employees take on whats happening if the shops.

fun place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for more than a year

Pros

fast paced goop people good car work

Cons

to many hours as manager 60+

PC Support Position - STAY AWAY!!!

Former Employee - PC Support Technician  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - PC Support Technician in Rochester, NY

I worked at Monro Muffler Brake as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

A regular (small) paycheck and the co-workers are for the most part very nice people.

Cons

Chaos, below average pay and a supervisor with more than one screw loose. The supervisor creates a great deal of chaos with his spur of the moment priority changes than five people can handle with only two "support technicians" to do the work. It's obvious this nut has never been in a supervision position before Monro hired him. From what I heard he was the cheapest one they interviewed for the position. His expectations are solely based on his "paper projections" and he hasn't got a clue how reality works in computer diagnostics and repairs. He may be a genius as an app writer for smartphones but he doesn't know much at all about hardware. I heard the guy I replaced was fired after 15 years with the company because this so called supervisor couldn't handle somebody telling him how reality really works in this company filled with out-dated equipment and software, and I heard that from several sources. Thank GOD I only signed on as a temp... the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter! This company continues to grow rapidly (for the share holder's benefit) by buying out as many small companies that they can get their hands on - the employees don't mean a thing to them other than having more revenue sources to rape.

If you expect the temps you hire to stay in this department you might want to consider hiring a supervisor that takes reality into consideration, the one you have now is a total scatter brain... he shouldn't be supervising anything that resembles a human being!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just bought our store

Former Employee - Automotive Technician  in  Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Flint, MI

I worked at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for more than a year

Pros

They bought and upgraded the equipment. New lifts, scanners, tire machines. 14$ a hour base pay straight time plus time and a half.

Cons

14 per hour base pay plus time and a half or 15 % commission on service and 4% on tire work(whatever's higher). They came in and raised prices on all service and work dried up. need less to say never made commission.

lower the prices, you may sell more service work.

Save your time unless you want to work at a jiffy lube wanabe and rotate tires for free

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Lead Technician
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Lead Technician

I worked at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to start if you are trying to get in the door. They will hire anyone. Even people who have D.U.I.s or no drivers licences. Some of the employees

Cons

Save your life. I was the asst. Manager and when my new manager took over it went down hill. Working 6 days a week open to close and every holiday. Never seeing my family. They would bring in new employees and treat them like they where the golden child even though that person leaves in less than 6 months. All the while you have been faithful to the company for years and they treat you like crap. Dont ever ask for a raise the answer you get is we are on a pay freeze yet the company makes hundreds of millions of dollars.

Pay up and take care if the techs that are faithful.

Overworked and never appreciated.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's better than not working.

Cons

The compensation is horrible. For an office position expect to be paid below what most employers pay. Also expect to be worked to your limit with no support if you have too much to do. Do not expect a raise. Even if one is given it is typically less than 20 cents and hour. I was denied annual raises for advancing to new positions in the company. The final straw was finding out new hires were being paid more, to do less, than I was after being a loyal employee of 4 years. The best advice I can give is if you do end up here get out as fast as possible.

Re-think your benefits and take a hard look at all of the favoritism that takes place in your company. Expecting experienced employees to be happy making less than most entry level positions of the same type is a joke. Stop using the industry you are in as an excuse to pay your office workers less. The office work is the exact same regardless of industry.

Do not apply!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I don't see any pros with this company

Cons

Horrible company. Work 55 to 60 hours a week, work Sundays and all holidays except Christmas. Stores are dirty and 20 years behind the times. Management expects you to give your life to the company for very little compensation. Do not work here!!

Get rid of the greed.

Do not pay enough for the work that is not required

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gain experience on how to work on cars.

Cons

Store manager has to work on vehicles and not in the description.

Pay accordingly and be truthful about what is required.

stay clear of this company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for less than a year

Pros

there is nothing good to say

Cons

Too many hours 55 to 60 per week there stores are dirty nasty run down rat holes, communication is by fax no internet or cable tv for the customers. also This company does not conduct a background check or drug screen. Apparently everyone who has been to prison or does drugs knows this, and works for monro. The techniticions are of low quality mostly hacks and butchers.you will work 12 hours a day every day you work and pay is low as well.

sell the company to someone that gives a crap

Disorganized, Greedy, Mismanaged, Life Draining. The other reviews were right.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Monro Muffler Brake full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a small paycheck. You get your foot into the automotive repair business industry. Everything you see at this company, is why it's failing, and there are so many better companies out there.

Cons

Every store manager is different. You may become employed at a store that is actually decent to work at. I was not.

Work life balance was terrible. 55-60 hours a week as an assistant manager. Pushed to "sell, sell, sell" on a lot of huge profit margin products that my technicians had no experience or formal instruction on.

This company does not conduct a background check or drug screen. Apparently everyone who has been to prison or does drugs knows this, and therefore, gets a job here.

The pay is terrible for technicians and lower management. Store management and higher receive bonuses based on profit and sales. They will up-sell and over-charge for every possible service they can. Profit is the only thing that matters to this company.

You need to pay into a uniform deposit and pay for weekly uniform cleanings. This is the greediest company I have ever seen. The uniform company charges $4.50 to clan uniforms, but they take $11.50 out of your paycheck. They rob every person they can, including their own employees.

Health insurance is a joke with this company at a whopping $650/month for 2 people in NC, and about the same rate for a family. It is unaffordable.

Drug test, conduct background checks, and actually care about the people you hire. Then, reduce the profit on everything you sell, so employees can have fair wages and you can change the way this company runs.

Worked for Monro Muffler Brake? Contribute to the Community!