Monroe Community College Reviews

3.8
CEO

1. Good place to work. Embraces change

I have been working at Monroe Community College

Pros

Campus leadership is open to innovative ideas. Supportive of employees who put students first.

Cons

Long time employees don't necessarily embrace change. Too many employees believe longevity equals promotion.

Advice to Management

Currently bringing in new leadership with energy and fresh ideas is a good move. Transparency would work to your advantage.

2. Challenging work, drama-filled, confused management

I worked at Monroe Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, job security, easy work schedule, flexible work hours during the summer.

Cons

Management makes poor decisions, they rarely evaluate pros/cons to their decisions before pulling the trigger.

Advice to Management

Give more responsibility to your subordinates to make the best decisions. Don't force decisions without thinking about the big picture first.

3. Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Monroe Community College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MCC offers decent salary for adjuncts. Benefits include lots of professional development opportunities, can take one college course for free each semester, and access to campus resources.

Cons

No benefits, no guarantee that you will be assigned classes, or that your classes will fill. Union limits how many hours adjuncts may work, so many adjunct at other colleges as well. Assignments are often given late, so makes it hard to schedule other part time work. Very little office space shared by many adjuncts. Since many adjuncts apply for full time openings when available, not likely to be hired full time.

Advice to Management

Increase the credit hours adjuncts may teach. Increase full time lines so more adjuncts have opportunity for full time employment. Offer benefits to adjuncts on a pro-rated schedule based on number of credits taught.

5. Excellent Adjuncting Experience

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Rochester, NY

I worked at Monroe Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and department chairs, compensation

Cons

Classes change. Not all departments communicate well

6. Good school

Current Employee - Tutor in Henrietta, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in Henrietta, NY

I have been working at Monroe Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Good people Good everything Flexible hours

Cons

Not too much organization and payroll department is weak.

7. Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Monroe Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse student population. Experienced and dedicated faculty.

Cons

Compensation and working conditions for adjuncts leaves a lot to be desired. This is a national issue, however.

Advice to Management

Instead of bringing on more adjuncts, create more opportunities for the adjuncts already on staff to go full-time or receive higher compensation.

8. Peer Mentor

I worked at Monroe Community College part-time

Pros

You work with great people that are passionate about what they do. Your presentation skill will be highly escalated with this role since you are constantly in front of hundreds of people during orientation

Cons

Not for those that are shy but can build up to public speaking. The pay is not great and you have to wake up super early on some days.

9. My experience has been wonderful - I enjoyed my department, loved working with my supervisors.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Monroe Community College

Pros

I love the interaction between the Staff/Faculty/Professionals and Students. Students are our number one priority here. I also like the fact that there are two campuses so it is able to meet the needs for many and in a very broad span of area. The Downtown campus is especially viable to the needs of the students from the City and the westside of Rochester.

Cons

With the yearly lowering of funds from the State - MCC has been cutting back hard on it's departments/opportunities. Departments are being disassembled should people leave, no matter what they're position is - and then reassembled by combining them with other departments - that sometimes does not make sense, but we make it work.

Advice to Management

I would really wish that some of this reorganization would be shed initially to the departments involved - and include the Pro "points" to help deal with the unfortunate things. Knowing something is going on and no one is talking about it is nerve wracking ---- being kept up to date - and even included in the future plans - and even getting our input (which could help certain issues) would solve a lot from our point of view as well as the master planners

10. MCC - a great place to work

Current Employee - Adjunct Associate Prof in East Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Associate Prof in East Rochester, NY

I have been working at Monroe Community College

Pros

The people who work there are almost universally very nice and very competent. Many of the teachers and staff actually went to MCC as students.

Cons

As with being an adjunct anywhere, being one at MCC means you are at the mercy of the department you work in and its scheduler - you have limited choices for classes/times/days of week etc.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the adjuncts, since they teach a very large percentage of the sections offered. Senior adjuncts - people who have been there for years and are not looking for a full time position - should have special status.

11. MCC is an awesome place to work

Current Employee - Senior Computer Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Computer Specialist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Monroe Community College

Pros

The people. Everyone is very pleased to work here and that attitude is both pleasant and quite contagious. From the first day I started work here I noticed that nearly everyone I encountered was very pleasant and really seemed to enjoy being here. After many years that has not changed. I've seen people come and go, and throughout it all the general attitude has been extremely positive as well as professional.

Cons

Salaries are a bit low, typical of academia. The benefits are outstanding. Both vacation and personal time available are excellent. Often times I am the envy of my friends (in higher paying jobs) becasue of the amount of time off that I typically have available.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed