Monsanto Company

Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant

Hugh Grant

Pros:
  • "Salary is good, hikes are decent, pretty good work life balance in the company"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Best leadership, great benefits, continual work"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance in reality, however this is one of the slogans of the company"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking")"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Glad for the experience and glad it's over

IT Infrastructure (Current Employee)

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros--Salary
--Benefits
--Friendships
--A really terrific severance package if you're able to tough it out
--The reign of terror once over IT Infrastructure has been moved back to Commercial
--The incompetent 'senior leader' and over opinionated 'soccer mom' both quit shortly after getting new leadership

Cons--Reviews based upon how much your manager likes you, not what you are able to deliver
--Hiring based upon enthics/gender and not qualifications
--Interchangeable staff--'move every 3 years'
--No true work-life balance or fit
--Extreme dating scene! So many married, dating, or divorced couples
--Very short term focused. Does not look at the long term impact

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real feedback, from your employees and your customers, not customed and tailored such that you only hear what you want to hear.

Medium pay, slow carrer advancement for REAL worker, shortsighted senior management

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Monsanto Company

ProsGood benifit (medical, pension)
Training opportunities

ConsMedium pay, low raise
A place where networking is much more important than working
Can achieve work life balance if you don't care about performance review
Constantly changing organizational structure (every 6 months)
A lot of 'talkers' are promoted and people have to work for managers that lack of common sense about their jobs
Slackers can find a way to survive

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on working rather than networking.
Pay more respect to people who really add value to the company instead of those who is only good at saying things to please management

Dont Believe The Lies

I have been working at Monsanto Company

ProsIts a job . If you like making deals with the devil, join the Monsanto team.

ConsManagement is of the poorest quality. Atleast in Centralia, IL. If you could imagine if your employer ran your company in the same manner that high school hierachy and cliches are, then please apply at this place. There is SO much corrupt and morally wrong things going on here and that is why I was compelled to write this. My hope is that maybe people will think twice before joining this soul - erasing company. Seeing the previous posts , I can only assume that most are just bogus to make company look good, or they have a completely different atmosphere than the one here at Centralia,IL. I also have the feeling that this will be used against me at a later date.

Advice to Senior Managementwouldn't listen anyway

Sad place

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Monsanto Company

ProsSalary, perks, low work load, no accountability to results

ConsBad management, incompetent people, no strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the management. For a company that cannot manage it's public image or Stakeholder expectation the future looks bleak and crisis prone.

Positive and negative

I have been working at Monsanto Company

ProsIt pays well and i suppose it will weather the storm of most economic downturns, it is well positioned to be making money for a long time.

ConsThe company has so much money it seems to ignore incompetence and ignorance at a level thats hard to believe, also while making this money they have had numerous rounds of lay-offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior leadership seems to be very smart, but at lower levels of the organisation the turnover is so small that the same folks have rotated through the same positions for multiple years, Hugh Grant was very impressive, i wished more had been so.

Good people, good benefits, lousy management.

Workstation Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Monsanto Company

ProsGood benefits, company is doing well, nice people. The campus is nice. It's a global company.

ConsManagement keeps information very close. Management is backed by their seniors unconditionally, no matter how bad they screw up. Favorites are blatantly played. The smart people who should be promoted (no, I'm not thinking of myself) aren't because they don't go golfing with the CIO or go to happy hours after work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking exclusively about climbing the ladder and think a little about the people you manage. Communicate. Look for solutions that help everyone, instead of just covering your ass.
I know, it's like that everywhere--but that doesn't mean we should stop expecting it.

They don't care to nature

IT Intern (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Flexible hours
- Leave early on Fridays
- Good assistance for employees
- If you want an easy job, that's for you

Cons- People are very accommodated
- They don't care to nature. I was thinking I would arrive in a place where they really had dreams to work on something that will gonna be good for the human being. But no. They don't give a minimum and Idk if they are right in what they do. I don't think so.

Advice to Senior ManagementAwake dreams in your employee. And don't do what's not right.

It was a manual labor job

Laboratory Technician (Former Employee)
Woodland, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGet to bring home free vegetables sometimes

ConsLots of manual labor, no experience needed, but company required high experiences. Company cared more about policy and regulation than its worker.

Overworks and Underappreciates Full Time Employees, Abuses Contract Employee Situation

Biologist II (Current Employee)
Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay, flexible hours, industry leading technology

ConsThey will keep you employed in the same position as a contract employee for literally years at a time. They overwork their full time employees to the point that some have gotten divorced because they cannot balance their work and life. They pay lip service to things like safety and work-life balance, but no manager in the company will tell an employee to sacrifice productivity for any reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your contract employees are running your production labs and are the only ones keeping important processes like R0 selection afloat, it's probably wise to hire them as full time employees instead of keeping them hanging on for never-ending three month contract extentions.

Not a great place to work

Lab Technician (Former Employee)
Waterman, IL

I worked at Monsanto Company part-time for more than a year

ProsGood team environment, and made some good friends.

ConsVery low pay, no benefits even when you work 40 hours a week for a year they list you as temp so they don't have to offer you better compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees a decent wage.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!

Monsanto Company Videos

Monsanto Company – Why Work for Us?

Monsanto has always embraced innovation and always focused on helping to make a better world. You can see it in our groundbreaking products and in our dynamic environment where your skills and your career can grow and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Monsanto Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Monsanto Company CEO Hugh Grant. All 335 reviews posted anonymously by Monsanto Company employees.