Monsanto Company

Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant

Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest(in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align(in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking")(in 16 reviews)

Great company, benefits, and opportunities

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsYou will work with some of the brightest scientists in the world and have the opportunity to work/collaborate with a variety of different functional groups which keeps the job fresh and challenging. The benefits are amazing and they definitely put family first.

ConsThere is a ton of changes in management/roles so you might have a handful of managers in a 2 year span. Although benefits are great, I don't think compensation is adequate for the amount of work done.

Project engineer

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsThe Corporate EHS has the highly trained - competent individuals in the organization. Site leadership actions are consistent with the values - EHS - people - quality - cost that contributed to awesome financial metrics. Development opportunities were plentiful with some risk, but management ensure the potential for failure is low.

ConsLack of HR presence, because the manager did not want to travel to the remote location. This lack of attention resulted in losing control on HR issues such as attendance and performance.

Awesome opportunity to understand the plant electrical engineering

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Luling, LA

ProsGreat/Fun people to work with- You can't find a better team to work with.
    Great place to learn plant engineering. Senior engineers are easy to work with. Family like atmosphere.

ConsStagnant career. Advancement require a lot of patience and perception rules!! Also, Management wants to do things that will make a better power point presentation, while everyone knows reality out in the field is completely different! No one listens to quarterly reviews, but plant manager likes them- so he can put a bullet point on his resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to look good with temporary cost savings and do what will benefit the company in the long run. Stop "organisational changes". It doesn't matter how you cut it, work is work and the only way to do it is to get up and get at it!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNice people to work with. Excellent place to start your career, get to learn a lot.
    Great Work life balance and benefits.

ConsNot for the ambitious and career oriented professionals. Will have to be a part of the office politics to move up the ladder. Undeserving candidates get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more able leadership. Weed out the non-performing folks and promote the deserving one's.

Interesting but dull

Intern (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsAccess to a lot of interesting information and insights

ConsLack of any real enthusiasm about the world as an intelligent ecosystem

Advice to Senior ManagementBegin to see yourselves as something more than automatons chasing dollars and inventing markets that no one wants or needs.

great place for trying new things and working across cultures and departments

Biotechnology Lead (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsMonsanto has a very good workplace culture. There are plenty of opportunities to try new areas and work with people across different areas of the business, and living or from different parts of the world. It's a true global and diverse workforce.

ConsWhile there is a lot of movement between roles that can be a pro as well as a con. Yes, there are plenty of chances to try new things, but its also challenging to maintain the continuity with projects. Monsanto also has a very forgiving policy towards people, I rarely see people forced to leave the company, but that also means having to manage around incompetence.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall a great company though the technology strategy can seem unfocused.

Great company to work for

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat work-life balance
    low stress (depends on the project)
    communication between upper and lower management is very good
    lots of fun activities

Consnothing to report at this time.

ESH technician

ESH Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGreat corporate culture, promote personal development and networking across org. Great benefits and pay was competitive.

ConsSome smaller locations lack the buy in needed to exude the true values of Monsanto.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time developing the remote locations.

Excellent place to work for those who have what it takes

Product Owner (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe challenges of the work, great people, good opportunities to grow as a person and a professional, amazing benefits, closed over Christmas, summer hours

Conswork life balance can be skewed, resourcing in some areas a huge issue, communication can be challenging as some of Monsanto's functional areas operate as silos

Advice to Senior Managementmiddle leadership needs to better communicate the LRP or vision for their areas and need to execute the hard decisions quickly

Great Place to Work!

Human Resources Lead (Former Employee)

ProsBrilliant scientists and researcher collaborating to make a difference in the global market. Great organization to work for, you are allowed to voice your opinions and concerns and have them heard and addressed. Diverse workforce with great opportunities for growth and leadership and many different arenas. Team oriented environment where learning is encouraged and rewarded.

ConsThe pressure is always on. You don't have the best work-life balance.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!