Monsanto Company

Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant

Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest(in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align(in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking")(in 16 reviews)

A good company to work for.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood steady job security. Exposure to lots of people and technologies. It's also one of the largest IT environments in the St Louis area.

ConsBad public reputation. It can start unpleasant conversations when you're at a party and someone asks you where you work. It's a good company but pretty controversial.

It was a good experience

ProsThe people that I worked with were great with good management on sight.

ConsSome long hours included 60 hours a week or more

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to those that work there

Like drinking from a fire hose

Patent Scientist/Patent Agent (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsExcellent employee development opportunities, cutting edge science, astonishing bonuses, wicked smart colleagues, enough flexibility to accommodate the exigencies that being a parent entails.

ConsThey will own you. Networking is critical, and if you aren't good at it, you will suffer professionally. Because they move people around so much in order to develop them, you will spend a considerable amount of time getting up to speed with respect to the institutional knowledge necessary to do your job effectively - they expect from 18 months to 24 months in order to learn the science, the players and the organization. Re-organizations happen with great regularity, as research and commercial development programs are continuously re-evaluated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits and pay, nice people

ConsBusiness practices are not the best...

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ok for contractors

Research Associate (Current Employee) Oxnard, CA

ProsI was lucky to work in a good department with nice people. The pay is decent for contractors and everyone is really nice with diverse backgrounds. Lots of freedom to manage your own time.

ConsLike most companies in the industry today, Monsanto hires a lot of contractors (especially young people trying to get a foot in the door) to cut costs (even though the work is essential part of the company function). They do not keep contractors more than a couple years, if you are lucky enough to last that long. Also, there are a lot of "holidays" and half days that you may be forced to take off, so expect to make significantly less a year than your hourly wage suggests.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing the contractor game and allow those who prove themselves to become full employees so you don't have to rehire and re-train new contractors every year and so that company will retain valued and knowledgeable employees into the future.

Good launching pad

ProsPeople are nice, helpful but overworked.

ConsDon't expect extensive or formal training.

Overall good company to work for, but prepare yourself for a world of politics to go with it.

Cost Analyst (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCompetitive pay, excellent benefits, lots of opportunities for advancement.

ConsTendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking"). No longevity in roles, company values changing roles every 2-3 years, which is my opinion is too soon.

Great internship!

Finance Intern (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsMany responsibilities, great boss, great networking opportunities, summer hours, beautiful headquarters

Consnone I can think of

Monsanto is a great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsView employee as an asset

ConsNothing wrong about this company

great place to work. very flexible

Account Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosvery flexible. good matrix based reporting structure. compensation and benefits are very fair. great future and enjoy helping feed and clothe the world.

Conssome companies have much higher compensation. targeted by outside people who do not take the time to understand the science. controversial.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!