Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 52 reviews)

• Monsanto takes care of their employees from the standpoint of excellent pay and benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 32 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities and training, very much focus in safety. Good DPR (Development Performance Rewards) system. Great benefits and excellent salaries.

Cons

Lost of politics, you have to be good with your boss no matters what, if you are not nice with them you are dead. Whatever your boss said is not form him, it comes from upper management, you can not said anything before consulting, too much micromanagement, everything has to be approved by your boss, bosses are looking for their own success and do not care about their direct reports, they take your work done to be recognized and promoted

You have to make valid the Monsanto Pledge for all employees and not only for the ones in the lower levels

The matrix culture works.

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Frito-Lay, Price Waterhouse and Bayer Healthcare, the culture at Monsanto us unmatched and is a true competitive advantage. Work-life balance is modeled and fostered. No wonder this is rated as a great place to work. The "matrix" allows and fosters a free flow of feedback, uncluttered by "titles." We get things done and have fun doing it!!

Cons

The speed of people movement can almost be too much at times. While having no silos is a great thing, Monsanto needs to watch moving folks just to move them.

Finest senior management I have ever seen. They are approachable, knowledgeable and people focused. They are also uniquely humble and diverse. This is a major competitive advantage!

Fast paced, AMAZING company who cares deeply for their employees and customers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Excellent benefits and compensation. Supportive leadership and great opportunity for career growth.

Cons

People who are outside the company don't know how great Monsanto is nor value the company for its progressive science in agriculture technology.

I Work For a Company Where "Great Place to Work" is More Than Just a Phrase

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto truly cares about their customers and employees. They have excellent benefits - including their paid time-off policies, flexible scheduling, and the understanding that their employees have lives away from work. They show this through the many things they do for their employees - including some unique programs like the Off the Job Safety group who recently gave each employee a fire extinguisher for their home. They also invest a tremendous amount of time and resources to employee development. I can honestly say that I love working here.

Cons

The company has high expectations and change happens frequently in order to stay ahead of the competition. In addition, they have a highly complex matrix environment that can be challenging - at times - to maneuver. Monsanto also has inherent challenges due to their reputation as the GMO leader.

I think that the company's intranet could be improved, because in the matrix environment it is sometimes difficult to find the person or group you need to connect with for an issue or project. The search tool does not seem to be very helpful or user-friendly. In addition,

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee friendly. Matrix organization and therefore visibility is very good into other teams and jobs. The benefits are amazing.

Cons

Driving around campus is a challenge getting to and from meetings. The campus spans two sides of the highway and no way other than by car to reach the other side.
    Company growth is amazing, sometimes daunting when you are new and trying to learn.

Town Halls are fantastic. Great way to keep up on all of the global events and strides by people as well as R&D.

One of the best employers in the Greater St. Louis area

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with competent leadership team. The LT is as up front concerning the state of the business as possible. Monsanto supports the Greater St. Louis area in many, many ways both financially & many volunteer hours. The company was just named #8 as one of the Best Multinational Workplaces. The total compensation package out shines other local employers.

Cons

Like with any company there are issues...none I to point out here.

Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - IT - COOP in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - IT - COOP in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working for them and they have great benefits

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy but that is to be expected with a big company

none

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast moving, agile company. You are able to really direct what you are interested in working on. Great pay and time off benefits.

Cons

Not a lot of extra time to work on additional projects. Must be able to juggle a lot of responsibility. Job changes frequently, even without promotions or compensation increases.

Stop expanding roles and responsibilities without pay increases. Jobs grow larger several times in a year, with no additional compensation or promotion.

A truly Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Leadership, Opportunities for growth, Great benefits, Overall compensation is competitive and good. Offered care and concern for my family during a personal health emergency. Access to Sr. Leadership in my organization. Summer hours (1/2 day every Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day)

Cons

You have to work very hard...all the time. Once you perform at a Superior level, you are expected to always perform at that level. For some, it can be hard to navigate the matrix

More work/life balance, continue to reward people for hard work (even in tough years because the work doesn't stop),

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto has an excellent office culture emphasizing work-life balance and truly focuses on individual employee development more than any other company I have worked for! Company has GREAT benefits, fair and equitable promotions and salary, and is all around the best company I have worked for and will ever work for!

Cons

No cons about working here at all!

Continue focusing on creating a great place to work and keep employees centric! GREAT JOB!