Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 49 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 30 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working here!!!!

Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor  in  Kïhei, HI
    Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Just an awesome place to work. Awesome people, great culture, great benefits! I left to move to another state where the nearest Monsanto site is too far of a commute. If not I would have continued my career with Monsanto. I started as an Intern and loved the program. Continued for another 5 years in low level management, until I needed to move for my husband.

What an awesome place to work!

My values, ideas and innovations were always given attention and I felt special at my workplace. It was a very fulfilling career and I loved my coworkers! The benefits were top-notch. I couldn't have asked for more.

Cons

Hard to progress as there are so many young, fresh people. Still they compensate your time, growth and performance even if there isn't promotion.

Promote those within, before bringing in new people.

Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development. Most managers understand and support work/life balance.

Cons

Not always easy to move to other roles despite the emphasis on development. There is a lot of organizational changes and if you aren't comfortable with that you will have a hard time in this culture.

Too many management layers.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Biologist II  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

At least with the group I am with, your work time is flexible. This allows me to get into work early to avoid traffic and be able to pick up my kids right after school. I like that they encourage employees to take "summer hours" over the summer, working later during Mon-Thurs so you can take a half day on Friday. They are also very safety conscience at work and also make you think about safety outside of work and at your home. They allow you to purchase safety related material for your home (fire extinguishers, safety ladders) at their cost. They truly keep their employees in mind.

Cons

Has been hard to find a full-time position. The positions are out there, but they hire from within first, and even if you contract with the company, they still make full time positions tough to grab.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good to employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer Java  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

They treat employees like gold.

Cons

(Related to the TPS department) An insane amount of corporate friction. Employees are very checked out. The knowledge gap is massive. There's way too many underperforming engineers. The employees are busy doing their at-work book clubs, volunteering for United Way, or some other bull crap while the contractors do the actual work. It's super weird.

Demolish the CA position, it's worthless. Don't be talkers, be doers. Kill the buzzword-laden town hall meetings; employ real content, criticisms, give shout outs to successful teams, live Q&A, etc.

Casual, many career opportunities

Current Employee - IT Co-Op  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You can do what you want - for the most part. As long as you get everything done, but there are a lot of interesting things and a lot of interesting projects and a lot of awesome people-so staying busy is not a problem! IT isn't as advanced as Amazon/Google, but I can't imagine working for a company any less advanced as this. The things they are doing is awesome.

Cons

Monsanto has a truely bad rep. Not because we've done anything wrong. You just have to deal with obnoxious people when you tell them were you work at times.

They use a lot of 3 letter acronyms.

There is a lot of ambiguity during re-orgs- which seem to happen often. Just a statement- not much anyone can do about this

so so

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Luling, LA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Luling, LA

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good pay and benefits overall and excellent work life balance. I enjoyed the people on my team and was very committed to the mission of the company

Cons

Too much internal competition and back stabbing. It all depends on who you know. Don't rock the boat and you will be just fine.

Good company if you can get hired on full time

Current Employee - Biologist II  in  Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor

Pros

It's a place to work until you find something better.

Cons

The company is overly reliant on contract workers. It is difficult to move up to a permanent role.

Decent, as long as you're not in a hurry to move your career

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Tools of trade: pretty darn good, most of the time we can get what we need to work, and it is top-level stuff
    Coworkers: nice people, very friendly and ready to help, plenty of good advice and lateral mentoring options
    Work-life balance: top priority for low- and medium- level management, overworking is actively discouraged, family time is encouraged and supported

Cons

Career: there pretty much isn't any movement unless you are an absolute master of political manuvers. Promotions are nearly impossible to get. Personal growth of highly successful individual contributors is not managed well and professional growth is not managed at all.
    Money: initial salary is OK, about right for the area overall but not stellar. Biggest issue is the absolute lack of raises beyond the cost-of-living. Yearly incentives are quite hard to win (beyond average).

It would really help if you deal with the lack of meaningful career path for scientists

Decent experience; great for those with no work experience

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Nice people, awesome work-life balance, and very family-oriented. I'm told the benefits are good too!

Cons

Corporate communication, "playing the game". Lots of people have different amounts of pull to bring you in different directions, some more negative than others.

Mind-numbing, but pleasant surroundings at Monsanto

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Very profitable firm with good dedication to improvement projects

Cons

Far too many layers of management to get things done quickly

Look for opportunities to streamline decision-making

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!