Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Accountant

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Monsanto Company has good health benefits and a generous match retirement savings plan. The company is very focused on safety and wellness, including incentives for wellness activities. Pay is competitive. I really like the matching gifts program and how they encourage volunteerism. After you log a certain number of volunteer hours, they will send a check to that charity. I think the company goal to feed the world is noble.

Cons

Monsanto tends to hire external candidates instead of promoting from within. Morale on some teams is suffering because of this practice. Work/Life balance is a buzz phrase, but I'm working still 12 hour days several times a month. The hiring process takes MONTHS.

Retention is just as important as hiring good people. You have to keep the ones you have happy, encouraged, and challenged. A response back from HR that a position has been filled would be nice instead of learning that you won't be considered for a role until you see the announcement of the person who got the job. Non-employee friends who have applied for jobs at Monsanto have not received the common courtesy of a response to their application to say thanks, but no thanks. They are left wondering.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are many nice people to work with. I did spend a very enjoyable summer.
    The project is also interesting. And they did provide many intern-unique activities to attend. Also, you could learn a lot, how to apply your school knowledge to real world industries.

Cons

The location is a little too far away. Meanwhile, the food choice nearby is too limited.
    During my internship, there are also constructions around.

Great Company with a lot of great people. Might consider working there again.

Former Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diverse, great pay, benefits, technically challenging work with lots of rewards. A top performing company in literally all areas with the future in mind...even for the public despite all of the negative press from unfounded/unscientific hearsay.

Cons

Long hours and some areas have "the family" of adopted seeds companies that have little or no respect for professionals that were there before they became adopted. They did not adopt the Monsanto tradition and saw older Monsanto employees as either a threat or something to be rid of. Saw a lot of brain-drain and excellent people leave because of this. Safety started to take a major dive with the new seeds boys who felt that if they were not in the USA it did not matter. Did take a beating from friends outside the company who thought anything GMO was bad unless they injected it (insulin, hormones, etc.).

Stay the course and focus more on shooting down the bad PR when it starts...rumors on the Internet are hurting you and deserve a response. If a lie is told often enough, it is often believed in-lieu of facts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good if you are direct hire, contractors are not so lucky.

Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The people who actually do the work are good people and the diversity is great. The companies goals to feed the world are noble in concept.

Cons

Where do I begin, the lack of continuity in any area of IT is apparent when you are having an issue and it turns out that the one person who had worked on it before has moved on. You cannot be effective if you cannot keep a core team together and they would rather go through disposable contractors than actually pay a real employee. There is no PTO time for contractors, no benefits, and the pay was just average. Management is a joke considering I had 6 different ones in the 18 mos I was there. If you want to play the politics game and kiss the right rear ends, you might have a chance to stay here as long as you like, but don't resist....they don't like individual thinkers or people who call them out on their BS. If you are good at dealing with all this then knock yourself out and go work there, otherwise I would stay very clear.

Stop treating your contractors like crap. They do the lions share of the real work there, while you dote all the priveledges and accolades on those that sit in their management cubes or go to meetings.

Great employees to work with but hard to be successful with no training program and poor managers

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II  in  Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time

Pros

Fellow employees were really nice and welcoming.

Cons

Poor management.
    Non existent training program.

Listen better to employee's needs. Get a training program together!!!

Great in spots, just avoid US Commercial / Supply Chain

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome, friendly people, casual attitude and dress, great cafeteria

Cons

Supply Chain is always focused on fire fighting. Self-congratulatory on overcoming some effort that other companies I worked for would have seen coming in the first place. Managers spend about 85-90 percent of their time in meetings, so don't expect to be noticed, regardless of the strengths of your contributions or how good your reviews are. Promotions are limited to a select few who will switch jobs about one a year to 18 months, while strong performers are told they have "vital competencies". Lots of HR games, they avoid EEOC metrics by telling employees they must meet with perspective managers first before applying for a job, that way the employee can be told by the manager they "already have a candidate in mind". No application = no metrics, people that violate this rule are told their applications will be visible to hiring managers, making it look like they are desperate to leave, regardless of their strong performance and time in role. You will literally be amazed at the amount of nepotism in this company, I have never seen anything like it before. While they are very careful not to have relatives work directly for each other, they will put them in support roles, so they have the inside track on information and networking. They will talk constantly about career development, but no one is held accountable for it.

If you are looking to gain valuable experience to use at a company where talent is rewarded, then work here for a while, then go to another company. Stay here too long and it gets bad.

Consider not being so arrogant. There is a constant sense of the way you do things now is so advanced and there is no other way, when other companies are 10-15 years ahead of you. The products you sell are great, but the first time their is a misstep in the market, you'll be without valuable resources to address it, I have watched some of the best talent I have ever seen in a company drain off in the last 3 years and you are so busy in meetings, you never notice.

enjoyed working here

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern

Pros

impactful responsibilities, research was interesting, coworkers were nice and management was very structured, bosses and direct supervisor was very approachable. overall positive experience here

Cons

has a bad reputation because of agent orange in the 80s, but apart from that, most friend havent heard of monsanto

It's the culture

Current Employee - Systems Administrative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture promotes open communication and sharing of thoughts and ideas.
    Management tends to be very approachable with a lack of ego and condescension.
    Relaxed atmosphere and reasonable HR policies.
    Very much a team oriented work environment.
    A relaxed environment but still very little tolerance for dead-wood employees.
    After a year or so, it's comparatively easy to make lateral moves to other departments and broaden your skills sets.

Cons

Labor is predominately contractors....challenging to land a full time job there.
    You could work there for 3 years and still be a contractor.

Your lower management manages to be both people oriented as well as mission oriented.
    They balance pursuit of excellence with compassion.
    It would be best to continue down that path of encouraging such management style.

Great experience

Former Employee - Seed Process Engineering Co-op  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Seed Process Engineering Co-op in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a co-op, I was given plenty of responsibility and I gained a lot of great experience there. Great company to work for as it offers great compensation and benefits, the employees are really down to earth and passionate people in general. Great work life balance as well.

Cons

The only downside to working in Monsanto is probably the constant negative publicity the company receive in the press due to the genetically modified crops that it is utilizing and the various farming practices it is trying to implement. Personally, I support the development of GMO and farming productivity in general, but the publicity is quite annoying sometimes.

Crop Intern

Current Employee - Crop  in  Monmouth, IL
    Current Employee - Crop in Monmouth, IL

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Learned a ton of valuable information. They provided great knowledge with cutting edge technology. The management at the Monmouth farm really allowed a lot of freedom and trusted us with our jobs.

Really enjoyed the experience and value the information I learned during that summer

Cons

Long hours were sometimes tough but always were taken care of.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!