Monsanto Company Reviews

527 reviews filtered by
3.8
Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 18 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice culture and nice people

Cons

lack of recognition for hard working

2. Great benefits and work life balance

Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to advance are endless. Monsanto is truly concerned about sustainability.

Cons

If I had to choose a con I would say system development to support supply chain - some systems have not advanced with the times

Keep up the great work

3. A great internship experience for undergraduates in the sciences.

Former Intern - Intern in Davis, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Davis, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced research with ample resources to accomplish scientific goals. Great mobility and opportunity to advance in the company. Great coworkers and good sense of work-life balance.

Cons

Occasional protests outside workplace, feels very corporate among other industrial research experiences. Strict 9-5 work shift when often scientific research demands irregular work hours.

Great company to work for with good benefits. The top company in their industry.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Strong company financially.

Cons

Promote people to management level that have no business being managers. Cut people at will while upper managers and executives garner huge bonuses.

Quit promoting people to management levels just because they do a lot of meaningless team spirit raw raw raw -ing or have a Ph. D. Ph.D. almost guarantees some management / Lead position. Need to find people who can motivate and lead people, not introverts with zero people skills. Some managers their must have managed in a sweat shop somewhere. Need a better development plan for employees. While Monsanto says they have employee development plans, they really don't. The people who move up are the ones who plan social events, decorate team rooms, organize happy hours, lunches, etc - but have zero people skills, or know their area enough to motivate and train others. You have way over corrected for the woman's movement and have replace the Old Boy Network with the Old Girl Network. Monsanto is a great company, but management is sophomoric at best.

“Great Place to Work” isn’t just a tag line.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

•Amazing peers and leadership
    •My managers and teams I support make me feel very valued and appreciated
    •Great work life balance, I am able to work from home when needed.
    •As a contractor, I am included in business and strategy meetings, as well as training and development opportunities.
    •I am asked about my goals and what I need to do my job better & more efficiently. I regularly receive formal reviews/feedback on my performance.
    •I feel my thoughts, opinions and ideas are valued and appreciated.
    • I know that the benefits package (insurance, 401k, bonus, ext) for perm employees is exceptional
    •On campus cafeterias, daycare, health clinic, gym, mammography van visits, flu shots, home safely give always (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, car safety/emergency kit)…all accessible to contract employees as well perm.
    • High value placed on the diversity of employees

Cons

•Heavily matrixed organization can be difficult to navigate and slow down getting things done
    •Long length of contracts may cause lose of exceptional talent, even with transparency of the business reasons behind the contract.
    •Culture and benefits are best in class, but moderate pay levels and lack of clear merit based raises may not be ideal for money motivated employees
    •While when and where you work is very flexible, there are times when you will need to work hard and work a lot of hours. I have always felt the appreciation for the extra hard work but it could be difficult to excel if you are looking for a straight 40 hour a week job

Keep doing what you are doing!
    Love the work you are doing with transparency and advocacy with consumers.

7. Top notch Co-op Program

Former Employee - IT Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - IT Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Encourage learning environment
    Access to new tools and technology
    Low stress

Cons

I cant find any complains about the position

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales people are supported well. Like to hire from the inside or former employees.

Cons

New people don't have the same opportunities for advancement as longer and more well known employees. Hiring for management are nearly all done before the vacancy is even announced.

Make a more unbiased hiring practice. Current trend of hiring primarily known employees/former employees for promotion rather than considering outside hires with experience and credentials will stifle creativity and drive good people away.

The Corporate Culture has taken a nosedive.

Former Employee - Linux/Windows Systems Administrative and Support in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Salary is competitive.
    Great benefits for full timers
    Quality of coworkers -- Smart, competent people who were very cooperative and collaborative to work with.

Cons

The culture has become that of any large monolithic firm -- blind allegiance to procedure and apathetic towards workers.
    Obtaining task closure is increasingly difficult due to increase in procedural red-tape in the pursuit of ''Operational Excellence"...You're left with a ton of work that seems to never be completely finished.
    Fingerpointing is becoming more acceptable due to indifference in middle management who take their employees to task before considering their side of the story.
    Working at Monsanto is starting to resemble working for The Government.

When you neglect individual workers for no apparent reason other than blind allegiance to policy and procedure it doesn't go unnoticed.
    Loyalty will be the first casualty.
    This will result in it being harder and harder to retain talent...continuity will suffer and expertise won't be fully leveraged.
    This especially holds true when you consider most of your talent is contact based.

Monsanto IT a study in catchphrases and contractors

Former Employee - Senior IT Support in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Support in Woodland, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

if you are an employee- good compensation

Cons

management- lost in translation. uses contractors to hide poor performing employees.

stop believing the IT salesmen that come and do slick presentations, a recent multi million dollar investment in dumb terminals called Mon desk was a classic mistake of non IT people making IT decisions and then using seniority and leverage to force it on the clients.
    stop going to meetings and find out what your teams needs are and then supply them with the tools and support to do the job they were hired for. trust your employees.
    focus on the support not the longevity of your careers
    do not use contractors to hide the mistakes of your management.
    be honest with your employees regarding the direction dictated by your management. give them information not slogans and misdirection
    stay on point, do not be distracted by new technology, the aim of IT is to support the business not propagate technology for technologies sake. IT is a tool.
    abandon the doctrine of we expect you to dig the hole and by the shovel, IT should provide the tools for its clients and support them, not force direction and platform on other business units, why should an employee also be his/her own support? is it the new normal that we are not only good at our jobs but know how to fix our own computers?
    fire half your managers and hire regional IT support, why run a worldwide company IT organization from a city in the middle of the US?

Things progressively getting worse

Current Employee - Technology Development in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technology Development in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The summer hours program is fairly progressive and there is a high focus on safety, despite climbing injury numbers this year.

Cons

Rudderless ship. Too many managers are out of touch with employees, the business and it seems like a lot of time with reality. HR tries to justify their existence by being cheerleaders for diversity and what a "great place to work" this is, but that is almost a sick joke as Monsanto management types are probably one of the most consistent features of the company. Slick presenters, but without an understanding on how to lead. It's an overall problem, way too many managers, next to no leaders.Overwhelming amounts of politics and backstabbing.

Stop trying so hard to present n image you are a great place to work and actually do the work required to be a great place to work.