Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Biologist II  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

At least with the group I am with, your work time is flexible. This allows me to get into work early to avoid traffic and be able to pick up my kids right after school. I like that they encourage employees to take "summer hours" over the summer, working later during Mon-Thurs so you can take a half day on Friday. They are also very safety conscience at work and also make you think about safety outside of work and at your home. They allow you to purchase safety related material for your home (fire extinguishers, safety ladders) at their cost. They truly keep their employees in mind.

Cons

Has been hard to find a full-time position. The positions are out there, but they hire from within first, and even if you contract with the company, they still make full time positions tough to grab.

Good to employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer Java  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

They treat employees like gold.

Cons

(Related to the TPS department) An insane amount of corporate friction. Employees are very checked out. The knowledge gap is massive. There's way too many underperforming engineers. The employees are busy doing their at-work book clubs, volunteering for United Way, or some other bull crap while the contractors do the actual work. It's super weird.

Demolish the CA position, it's worthless. Don't be talkers, be doers. Kill the buzzword-laden town hall meetings; employ real content, criticisms, give shout outs to successful teams, live Q&A, etc.

Casual, many career opportunities

Current Employee - IT Co-Op  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You can do what you want - for the most part. As long as you get everything done, but there are a lot of interesting things and a lot of interesting projects and a lot of awesome people-so staying busy is not a problem! IT isn't as advanced as Amazon/Google, but I can't imagine working for a company any less advanced as this. The things they are doing is awesome.

Cons

Monsanto has a truely bad rep. Not because we've done anything wrong. You just have to deal with obnoxious people when you tell them were you work at times.

They use a lot of 3 letter acronyms.

There is a lot of ambiguity during re-orgs- which seem to happen often. Just a statement- not much anyone can do about this

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accountant

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Monsanto Company has good health benefits and a generous match retirement savings plan. The company is very focused on safety and wellness, including incentives for wellness activities. Pay is competitive. I really like the matching gifts program and how they encourage volunteerism. After you log a certain number of volunteer hours, they will send a check to that charity. I think the company goal to feed the world is noble.

Cons

Monsanto tends to hire external candidates instead of promoting from within. Morale on some teams is suffering because of this practice. Work/Life balance is a buzz phrase, but I'm working still 12 hour days several times a month. The hiring process takes MONTHS.

Retention is just as important as hiring good people. You have to keep the ones you have happy, encouraged, and challenged. A response back from HR that a position has been filled would be nice instead of learning that you won't be considered for a role until you see the announcement of the person who got the job. Non-employee friends who have applied for jobs at Monsanto have not received the common courtesy of a response to their application to say thanks, but no thanks. They are left wondering.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are many nice people to work with. I did spend a very enjoyable summer.
    The project is also interesting. And they did provide many intern-unique activities to attend. Also, you could learn a lot, how to apply your school knowledge to real world industries.

Cons

The location is a little too far away. Meanwhile, the food choice nearby is too limited.
    During my internship, there are also constructions around.

Decent experience; great for those with no work experience

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Nice people, awesome work-life balance, and very family-oriented. I'm told the benefits are good too!

Cons

Corporate communication, "playing the game". Lots of people have different amounts of pull to bring you in different directions, some more negative than others.

Mind-numbing, but pleasant surroundings at Monsanto

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Very profitable firm with good dedication to improvement projects

Cons

Far too many layers of management to get things done quickly

Look for opportunities to streamline decision-making

Good if you are direct hire, contractors are not so lucky.

Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The people who actually do the work are good people and the diversity is great. The companies goals to feed the world are noble in concept.

Cons

Where do I begin, the lack of continuity in any area of IT is apparent when you are having an issue and it turns out that the one person who had worked on it before has moved on. You cannot be effective if you cannot keep a core team together and they would rather go through disposable contractors than actually pay a real employee. There is no PTO time for contractors, no benefits, and the pay was just average. Management is a joke considering I had 6 different ones in the 18 mos I was there. If you want to play the politics game and kiss the right rear ends, you might have a chance to stay here as long as you like, but don't resist....they don't like individual thinkers or people who call them out on their BS. If you are good at dealing with all this then knock yourself out and go work there, otherwise I would stay very clear.

Stop treating your contractors like crap. They do the lions share of the real work there, while you dote all the priveledges and accolades on those that sit in their management cubes or go to meetings.

Great employees to work with but hard to be successful with no training program and poor managers

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II  in  Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time

Pros

Fellow employees were really nice and welcoming.

Cons

Poor management.
    Non existent training program.

Listen better to employee's needs. Get a training program together!!!

Great Company with a lot of great people. Might consider working there again.

Former Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diverse, great pay, benefits, technically challenging work with lots of rewards. A top performing company in literally all areas with the future in mind...even for the public despite all of the negative press from unfounded/unscientific hearsay.

Cons

Long hours and some areas have "the family" of adopted seeds companies that have little or no respect for professionals that were there before they became adopted. They did not adopt the Monsanto tradition and saw older Monsanto employees as either a threat or something to be rid of. Saw a lot of brain-drain and excellent people leave because of this. Safety started to take a major dive with the new seeds boys who felt that if they were not in the USA it did not matter. Did take a beating from friends outside the company who thought anything GMO was bad unless they injected it (insulin, hormones, etc.).

Stay the course and focus more on shooting down the bad PR when it starts...rumors on the Internet are hurting you and deserve a response. If a lie is told often enough, it is often believed in-lieu of facts.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!